I am having trouble with slow ramp up times with any rebuildable coil in rda, rta, or rdta's

Br114nAcc

I dont understand why this is happening, but whenever i fire any coil i have to fire it once without hitting it then on the second hit it actually is vapable. The first hit always produces a lack of flavor and a really low amount of clouds in relation to what the build has performed on other mods such as yihi. When i try turning the wattage up, it just burns my coils, cotton, and juice. When i have my coils at the correct watts or temp they always come out cold. I was wondering what might be the problem. My current coil is a .36ohm, 2 strand twisted, 28awg, SS316L, dual coil built in a deadrabbit rta v3 which should be running at 65w but starts losing flavor and tasting burnt around 63.5w and lower than that, 54.5 is where i sit right now. Although that is a nice temp and power for me, there is a lack of flavor and it takes 2 hits to finally ramp up to the flavor and clouds it should be getting at that amount of power. Even when i try using preheat in temp and punch in power it still has no perfect place. turning either up to the max will cause my coil and cotton to burn yet still ramp up slow

I use twisted 28 gauge SS430 almost always. Here is a snippet of my dual coil SS430 build firing at 65 watts in EScribe's Device Monitor.  My coils are 2.7 mm id and 6 or 7 wraps each.

It would be most helpful if you could post a snippet of yours firing with the same boxes checked as mine.

DNA100C

SS430 65watts dual.png

3 hours ago, dwcraig1 said:

I use twisted 28 gauge SS430 almost always. Here is a snippet of my dual coil SS430 build firing at 65 watts in EScribe's Device Monitor.  My coils are 2.7 mm id and 6 or 7 wraps each.

It would be most helpful if you could post a snippet of yours firing with the same boxes checked as mine.

DNA100C

SS430 65watts dual.png

Here you go @dwcraig1, I don't know if this is normal or not but i selected the same things and the first hit is without boost the next ones after the first hit are with boost all in watt boost mode (just to get rid of extra confusion added on due to TC.

The non TC snip shows some boost and you are getting your 63 watts that it s set to.

The TC snip shows it hitting temp setting and throtting down below 54.

Check all your connections. Use Atomizer Analyzer to check that your atty's 510 is making contact with the mod's 510 positive pin well before it's screwed in all the way. (and not the last half turn)

10 hours ago, dwcraig1 said:

The non TC snip shows some boost and you are getting your 63 watts that it s set to.

The TC snip shows it hitting temp setting and throtting down below 54.

Check all your connections. Use Atomizer Analyzer to check that your atty's 510 is making contact with the mod's 510 positive pin well before it's screwed in all the way. (and not the last half turn)

but when tightening it i did chip a bit of the 510 gold plating off and a bit of the screw port chipped could that be it?

All your mod, or ANY mod can do is apply power to a coil. That's it, that's all.

In your DM screenprints, you have 2 Green lines. The 'power set' and just plain 'power'. Without boost, or preheat (your 1st puff of each type) you can really only tell when you start your puff due to the battery voltage starting to drop. Otherwise, it's a near vertical line. Near instantaneous reaching the watts you set. If I look at your title  ".... slow ramp up times with any rebuildable coil in rda, rta, or rdta's" I don't see it from a mod perspective, do you?

2 hours ago, Br114nAcc said:

i tightened it when i got it, is it adjustable it is a dead rabbit rta v3 or id it to take out for a squonk pin this is why i tightened it but if it is adjustable maybe that is why

And no, 510 positive pins should always be snug. I think your problems are with that atty and coil. 10 1/2 wraps (21 total) and you're hoping your wicking's going to keep up. And with what .... a 2.5mm ID?

IT'S NOT YOUR MOD.

9 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

All your mod, or ANY mod can do is apply power to a coil. That's it, that's all.

In your DM screenprints, you have 2 Green lines. The 'power set' and just plain 'power'. Without boost, or preheat (your 1st puff of each type) you can really only tell when you start your puff due to the battery voltage starting to drop. Otherwise, it's a near vertical line. Near instantaneous reaching the watts you set. If I look at your title  ".... slow ramp up times with any rebuildable coil in rda, rta, or rdta's" I don't see it from a mod perspective, do you?

And no, 510 positive pins should always be snug. I think your problems are with that atty and coil. 10 1/2 wraps (21 total) and you're hoping your wicking's going to keep up. And with what .... a 2.5mm ID?

IT'S NOT YOUR MOD.

That's the thing it is showing a normal puff n what not from my mod but with the atty it is slowly ramping up the thing, so what you're saying is my mod settings aren't the problem, my problem is the atty and how can i have better coil building because i am new to it and don't really understand what to look for in a vapable coil like on steam engine everything is always a high heat capacity, but when i try my coils normally they are usually fine just ramp up a bit slow, i agree with you now knowing that my mod is reading normal, my problem is with the coils i am building. But are you saying that my coil is too dense or are you saying it is not dense enough for the cotton to keep up, my problem is my coils will often burn before the cotton does. 

Just now, Br114nAcc said:

That's the thing it is showing a normal puff n what not from my mod but with the atty it is slowly ramping up the thing, so what you're saying is my mod settings aren't the problem, my problem is the atty and how can i have better coil building because i am new to it and don't really understand what to look for in a vapable coil like on steam engine everything is always a high heat capacity, but when i try my coils normally they are usually fine just ramp up a bit slow, i agree with you now knowing that my mod is reading normal, my problem is with the coils i am building. But are you saying that my coil is too dense or are you saying it is not dense enough for the cotton to keep up, my problem is my coils will often burn before the cotton does. 

and i have a lack of flavor and cloud production and have to hold it down for a hit before aftually getting a good hit

We haven't seen your settings, but we do know your reaching the watts you set quickly.

40 minutes ago, Br114nAcc said:

my problem is the atty and how can i have better coil building because i am new to it and don't really understand what to look for in a vapable coil like on steam engine everything is always a high heat capacity

From your title and initial post you inferred you were an old pro.

27 minutes ago, Br114nAcc said:

my problem is my coils will often burn before the cotton does. 

It's your cotton that's singing/burning. Did it come with coils, and what were their ID? Maybe watch/read a review and follow their wicking and coiling.

27 minutes ago, Br114nAcc said:

and i have a lack of flavor and cloud production and have to hold it down for a hit before aftually getting a good hit

33 minutes ago, Br114nAcc said:

so should i build a bigger ID for my coils is really what i am asking like what is the problem with the 10 1/2 wrap and the ID how do those effect the cotton? 

Even that can imply wicking. That's juice that needs to flow through that long tiny coil, and the more room for cotton the better. I'd say bigger coil, fewer wraps. Much fewer wraps would ramp up quicker and I'd suggest spaced coils until you get the hang of it. Dry burn them once built, like 20 watts to ensure they glow from the center out, and it'll burn off any machinig oils as well

8 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

We haven't seen your settings, but we do know your reaching the watts you set quickly.

It's your cotton that's singing/burning. Did it come with coils, and what were their ID? Maybe watch/read a review and follow their wicking and coiling.

Even that can imply wicking. That's juice that needs to flow through that long tiny coil, and the more room for cotton the better. I'd say bigger coil, fewer wraps. Much fewer wraps would ramp up quicker and I'd suggest spaced coils until you get the hang of it. Dry burn them once built, like 20 watts to ensure they glow from the center out, and it'll burn off any machinig oils as well

i should have taken a picture, the brown color that should be on ss316L turned to dark grey meaning something was causing my coils to burn, yet the cotton was only light caramel at the edges of the wicks and was only clear in the middle of the wicking, along with that i do use spaced coils because i find the whole hot spot process for ss very annoying and tedious since u have to glow it dark but i agree i think that probably would help, but my problem is that with 28aug the resistance is always really low, i want a .2-.3 coil without having to build a really long coil. should i try using a different type of wire since ss has the highest density out of commonly used wires

11 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

also no i am definitely new, i just did all my research and all of that before really starting to build and i learn really quick, i have been doing it for about 2 years and just started to spin my own coils, but now my problem is the heat capacity because everything seems to be working well, but my coils all ramp up too slow unless i make one with a resistance that is too low for what would be safe with my batteries even through a regulated mod, cdr*3 or maxW/#B~>#Watt/2/3.09/.95

Just now, Br114nAcc said:

also no i am definitely new, i just did all my research and all of that before really starting to build and i learn really quick, i have been doing it for about 2 years and just started to spin my own coils, but now my problem is the heat capacity because everything seems to be working well, but my coils all ramp up too slow unless i make one with a resistance that is too low for what would be safe with my batteries even through a regulated mod, cdr*3 or maxW/#B~>#Watt/2/3.09/.95

and the fact that they ramp up too slow always kills my juice

3 minutes ago, dwcraig1 said:

Here is my first build on my Steam Crave boro, time to re-do it. 2.5mm ID,twisted 28 gauge SS430,0.224 ohms

0.224.jpg

thanks for letting me see,mine looks about the same, so that is normal as long as the cotton isn't turning black? and i'll try running it at the watts u said because now i have a spaced 7/6 wrap dual coil with .75 twist pinch and same 28aug ss316L came out to .11 this time i think i might have made the cotton a bit too thin lol it's leaking like hell when i hit it, and i saw from an old reddit post that with my mod if you make the coils a bit taller it can help with flavor, and that definitely unlocked the flavor for me. thanks for the help with the coil building! cheers from texas!