DNA 250, no battery, balanced charging, or resistor connected, extremely dim screen and no fire button input when hooked up to USB.

GormyGorm

So I have this DNA 250 non color board that has been sitting in storage, brand new, no balanced charging, atomizer/resistor, or battery connected, and when I connected it to the USB on my computer to check some stuff in escribe for it, it was picked up by escribe, but the screen was extremely dim, and the fire button does not show any input on the screen. I can just barely see that the up and down buttons are changing the wattage, but no input from the fire button. I also have a friend who reported the same behavior from a board in the same condition when I asked him if he has ever seen this. Is this normal behavior for a DNA 250 with nothing hooked up, and if not, does anyone know what could be causing the issue?

The extremely dim screen sounds odd, unless the brightness is adjusted down of course.

Not firing on USB power alone is perfectly normal. The USB doesn't have enough power anyway for vaping. Besides, the USB is only 5v and to fire a DNA250C you need a minimum of 6v if I remember right.

If you connected up batteries or a power supply, pressing the fire button would then error with check atomizer.

11 minutes ago, BillW50 said:

The extremely dim screen sounds odd, unless the brightness is adjusted down of course.

Not firing on USB power alone is perfectly normal. The USB doesn't have enough power anyway for vaping. Besides, the USB is only 5v and to fire a DNA250C you need a minimum of 6v if I remember right.

If you connected up batteries or a power supply, pressing the fire button would then error with check atomizer.

Brightness was pushed to 100%, and I wasn't expecting the board to fire on USB power alone, but I was expecting the secondary functions of the fire button to still work (such as multi button functionality), which is one of the things that threw me off. It also appears that you misread the post, as I am not attempting to vape off USB, I was simply checking for basic functionality, and a dead fire button and dim screen was somewhat concerning.

Edited by GormyGorm

I thought we were talking DNA250C, sorry

I just removed batteries from an Odin DNA250C, connected the USB and fired (I do have an atomizer connected). And I get the error "Check Battery". I did it through EScribe too and fired from the Device Manager and the same thing. Disconnected the atomizer and its the same "Check Battery". If you wait until the screen turns off, it will wake up on pressing the fire button.

Yours and your friend's doesn't do this? This one is running SP45 firmware.

I do have some DNA250C and DNA250 boards stored away and I can check those later if you like. But I would expect the same thing.

Edited by BillW50

20 minutes ago, BillW50 said:

I thought we were talking DNA250C, sorry

I just removed batteries from an Odin DNA250C, connected the USB and fired (I do have an atomizer connected). And I get the error "Check Battery". I did it through EScribe too and fired from the Device Manager and the same thing. Disconnected the atomizer and its the same "Check Battery". If you wait until the screen turns off, it will wake up on pressing the fire button.

Yours and your friend's doesn't do this? This one is running SP45 firmware.

I do have some DNA250C and DNA250 boards stored away and I can check those later if you like. But I would expect the same thing.

Just an update, we (me and my friend) been doing some research and testing on this. This behavior seems to be limited to the DNA250 non color. We just tested a DNA200, and a DNA60, and they both can be powered on with full brightness and full controls through the USB port (obviously no vaping).

Hooking the board up to a bench power supply, we found that the board will turn on completely with roughly 3.2v input, and it seems that the theory of USB power not being enough to power the board doesn't work out as along with the board being able to power on at 3.2v, the USB power and Input power are electrically isolated. All of that, along with the weird "fire button lockout" as I will refer to it leads us to believe that it is some sort of limp mode in the firmware.

Honestly I have no clue why the board is set up the behave in such a way, I may contact Evolv directly to try to get an answer, as this has me interested, but for now, I am just happy that my board has turned out to not be DOA

I grabbed a DNA250 mod that I never used, connected with USB and I got nothing. I can connect it to EScribe and program it, but the screen never lights up.

Put batteries in it, the DNA250 fires and the screen lights up just fine.

I did hear the DNA250 will power up the board with just 3.2v before. But I don't believe it will fire.