my Paranormal DNA 250C stuffed, many problems

greg q

Hi There 

I am seeing if someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 250c and using MTL tanks, using the standard theme file set up that came with the tank. With a MTL Geekvape Ammit  .9 ohm coil SS it works fine on Wattage , but on temperature control i always getting temp protect warning that appears and cut out, 13 watts at 200 degrees Celsius, moving the temperature down i still get the same warning but without much vape, occasionally check atomizer and check battery alarms appear . Now changed to digiflavour Siren 2  which has more slightly more air flow and temp protect appears every 13  puffs, but still getting the check battery and check atomizer alarms. Could it be that the standard file on the device is too sensitive for MTL coils . Also i have selected new coil on device. Sometimes when i remove the tank and refit, it did not recognize that the tank was removed , as i should have got he message did you fit new coil ,  This has been doing my head in for 12 months. Is there a better CSV file for MTL users in which these warnings do not appear. 

I downloaded Frank's theme and the problems went away, no issues at all now, the installed file is terrible, very instable ,can't understand why they don't put effort with a better operating system. Nice to have resistance lock so you don't need to keep selecting resistance all the time when you remove and for the tank , puff  reset a good bonus

SP38 firmware update fixed most of my Temp Protect cutoffs ( Fixed spurious Temperature Protected errors that could crop up in certain high-CPU themes with Replay off. ), still happens very rarely for me but not nearly as bad as it used to be no matter what theme.

As to the operating system, I think the theme engine was a little more ambitious than the microcontroller was meant for - plus as far as I know 75C and 250C design was finalized back in 2016 and with PMTA looming (they are a US manufacturer after all) no idea if we'll ever get to see anything better. In my opinion they still did very well with what they have, though I've always wished for more from my computers too!

• 3 weeks later...

@Lanzarotechris it's supposed to adjust the power to remain at a set temp to protect from dry hits. The problem is, when these mods flash "temp protected" on the screen it's doing no such thing - it's just cutting power to the coil entirely, more often than not before it's even heated up (aka: spurious/random/not appropriately.) Other mods usually show 'temp protect' on screen or similar whenever it's throttling the wattage and a different error if there was a fault that caused it to stop firing entirely, for whatever reason Evolv decided to be different. If you read back in the thread I was able to always get a 'temp protected' error if I manually set the coil resistance a bunch higher than it actually was.

Again though, the problem is (mostly) solved in the early firmware pack on the thread I linked to.