Nc16703

Good evening all, received a Therion DNA75c bf second hand. (I know I probably won’t be eligible for a replacement/help from the manufacturer or the chip maker). The first night of use when very well, worked like a champ.

The second night, however, things went very badly. I placed the battery in the correct way. Screwed an appropriate rda. Took a drag off of it, then put it down. About 10-20 minutes later, I went to pick up the device and it was hot to the touch. The entire device was almost impossible to pick up. I quickly removed the battery and let it sit. At this point, I figured the mod would be rendered useless. But, after some time, when I felt as though the mod was cooled down enough, I placed a battery back in the device with no rda attached. To my surprise, the device powered up. 

I let the device sit for 5-10 minutes, again, with no rda attached and it began to overheat again. I was able to cycle through some of the menus and generally use the display, but the device began to overheat  again. 

Yet again, I removed the battery, it’s been sitting with no use since. This is very frustrating. I’ve bought many mods second hand, high end and regularly priced mods. Never had an issue with anything I’ve purchased from the Vaping community. When I received the mod it came with all the extras, was properly cleaned, (no juice all over it or anything).

I’m not really sure what to do. Has this happened to anyone before? Suggestions? Comments? I guess I’m just seeking some guidance. Thanks all. 

Edited by Nc16703

@67exec The 75, 75C and 60 share the same exact DC DC converter topology. All 3 are in the 85% efficient range. IMO, all 3 boards exhibit about the same thermal characteristics, the DNA 60 suffering the most due to it being physically smaller. I honestly can't say one board, over the other, gets hotter when running it under similar vaping conditions. There is one possible explanation i can think of. If the mod with the 75C board is sinked better to the housing than the mod with the OG 75, then yes you would "feel" the heat more so on the 75C device.

@Nc16703 Like Giz mentioned, I would contact Evolv through their help desk. The board, itself, carries a 1 year warranty.

Appreciate all of the responses. I was able to cycle through the menus half heartedly and the temp of the chip was astronomical. I’ll contact evolve, but I have no idea when the previous owner bought the device. I’m assuming they could look at the serial number and see when it was manufactured/sold. We shall see. 

4 hours ago, Nc16703 said:

Appreciate all of the responses. I was able to cycle through the menus half heartedly and the temp of the chip was astronomical. I’ll contact evolve, but I have no idea when the previous owner bought the device. I’m assuming they could look at the serial number and see when it was manufactured/sold. We shall see. 

In Escribe, on the General tab, if you click on 'Get Information', it will bring up the serial number & the manufacture date, or you can search it from the Evolv website...https://www.evolvapor.com/sncheck

• Like 1