ohms locked? new coil? please help

2clicker

hello all, i want to start by saying i just received my first DNA device last week.  its a a volcano lavabox m DNA75.  im coming from only having used Joyetech chipped TC devices.   anyway so far i am in love with the DNA chip and EScribe.  ive already set up profiles and getting the hang of it pretty well.

BUT... i am having some issues that remind me of my joyetech chips and im hooing there is a fix.  any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. new coil warning.  i am experiencing the new coil warning screen at random times.  even when an atty has already been established, ohms locked, and been vaping on it.  or after waking the device it will ask.  and it doesnt ask when i remove and replace the atty.  isnt this supposed to ask EVERY time the atty comes off and put back on?  whether its new or not...?  i dont understand why its so random.

2. locking the ohms.  for some reason this chip only likes to keep the ohms locked sometimes.  sometimes it works perfectly and never changes.  other times it shows thats its locked, but the display shows the ohms fluctuating with the rise and fall of coil temp.  shouldnt this just lock the ohms and that part of the display never changes until unlocked?  i dont get this either.  whats happening here?

i feel like these issues could be related.  is there a fix?  firmware update?  i really want to love the DNA chips, but this reminds me of my joyetech chip experience.  help please!!!

Edited by 2clicker

As the coils heat the resistance moves. Each wire material used has a specific curve while heating. DNA's have a "refinement" function that fine tunes the resistance reading as the device rests for a more accurate temperature .  Locking the ohm's may be beneficial for finiky atty's but as a matter of choice should not be used in normal operation.  If the ohm's fluctuates more than normal then a dirty or loose connection should be suspect.  

The "new coil" question doesn't always show each time the atty is changed if the device recognizes the coil reading. If it does present the question just say "yes" if it is a new coil or "no" if it is not a new coil... Changing atty's using more than 1 atty, with different coils can trigger the "New/Old" message and if going from one atty to the next can mean that you must say "new coil" as the coil is different from the last atty you used on the device.

This is how a DNA works which is very different than the joyetech.  You can vape while using the Device Monitor and that will give you live readouts about your vape.  It is a good tool to fine tune your vape also. There is a learning curve for DNA's, EScribe, Device Monitor, and etc. and what you are experiencing is not unusual.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, retird said:

As the coils heat the resistance moves. Each wire material used has a specific curve while heating. DNA's have a "refinement" function that fine tunes the resistance reading as the device rests for a more accurate temperature .  Locking the ohm's may be beneficial for finiky atty's but as a matter of choice should not be used in normal operation.  If the ohm's fluctuates more than normal then a dirty or loose connection should be suspect.  

The "new coil" question doesn't always show each time the atty is changed if the device recognizes the coil reading. If it does present the question just say "yes" if it is a new coil or "no" if it is not a new coil... Changing atty's using more than 1 atty, with different coils can trigger the "New/Old" message and if going from one atty to the next can mean that you must say "new coil" as the coil is different from the last atty you used on the device.

This is how a DNA works which is very different than the joyetech.  You can vape while using the Device Monitor and that will give you live readouts about your vape.  It is a good tool to fine tune your vape also. There is a learning curve for DNA's, EScribe, Device Monitor, and etc. and what you are experiencing is not unusual.  

thanks for the quick reply!

about the new coil warning... i understand how it’s supposed to work, but im getting it after an atty has been established and ive been using it.  nothing has changed.  havent removed it or anything.  so i feel like this is not normal operation.  if it is then im def not getting it.  lol

about locking the resistance.  i was under the impression that in order for accurate TC to be performed that the coil resistance needs to be locked as its at room temp. so that the chips knows where it started.  in my case my coil is at .49ohms when cold.  when its locked there sometimes it stays there like im used to seeing.  and sometimes it goes up as it warms.  and goes down as it cools.  usually maxes out at .57, but again why is the display fluctuating, the ohms, when in locked status?  shouldnt it stay locked?  isnt that the point of the lock?

so youre saying that when using TC to not worry about locking the room temp resistance?  my apologies for the newb questions and i greatly appreciate your help!

If you get the new/old coil message while using an atty and not detaching it then I suspect a loose connection or dirty connection at the coil, deck, or 510 connection. Your coils should also be spaced and not contact coils...

Using Device Monitor you can see cold and live ohms, temp setting reached, wattage used, and much more... here is an example... the live data (while vaping) shown is the items you check on the left side if the screen...

Untitled.png

• Like 1

thanks again for the help.  im going to check out the tutorials on escribe and just keep trying things out.  

in escribe, i forget which tab it was... the profile tab maybe...? that have check boxes for “lock ohms” and another one i cant seem to remember what it was called.  im wondering how these effect the settings.  idk ill have to take some screenshots and post them here for clarification.

so it turned out i did have a loose connection and since tightening it ive been experiencing the device working as it should.  

but im still not sure about the new coil screen.  i did an atty change last night and the new atty was half the resistance of the first.  the chip didnt ask if it was a new coil.  it simply adjusted the cold coil resistance and kept it there.  so that is working.  just didnt ask about the coil.  of which is not a big deal.  ive read some threads on other forums saying the DNA75 just doesnt prompt the new coil screen as often as it should.  and that the newer chips are all improved in that regard.  

so no worries there.  pretty excited to have this device working as it should.

question regarding preheat... what does the punch slider do exactly?  does it regulate how fast the coil gets to temp using the set preheat resistance?  i switched from an “8” punch setting to a “10” and do not notice any difference.  how sensitive is the punch slider?

thanks again!

Edited by 2clicker

16 minutes ago, 2clicker said:

but im still not sure about the new coil screen.  i did an atty change last night and the new atty was half the resistance of the first.  the chip didnt ask if it was a new coil.  it simply adjusted the cold coil resistance and kept it there.  so that is working.  just didnt ask about the coil.  of which is not a big deal.  ive read some threads on other forums saying the DNA75 just doesnt prompt the new coil screen as often as it should.  and that the newer chips are all improved in that regard.  

If there is enough of a difference in the different coil's ohms, then the board knows that it is probably not a new coil, so  doesn't ask...IIRC, the threshold adjustment for that can be set in Escribe on the Mod tab, in the Safety tab...'Ohm Lock Range'

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 2:36 PM, giz_60 said:

If there is enough of a difference in the different coil's ohms, then the board knows that it is probably not a new coil, so  doesn't ask...IIRC, the threshold adjustment for that can be set in Escribe on the Mod tab, in the Safety tab...'Ohm Lock Range'

thanks.  yeah im aware if the resistance isnt that much different it wont ask, but this was def not the case.  the atty that was removed was .58ohms and the new coil was .29ohms.... so it was half of the original coil.  shouldnt there have been a new coil warning in this case?

again its not an issue.  i just want to understand why.

Edited by 2clicker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2clicker said:

thanks.  yeah im aware if the resistance isnt that much different it wont ask, but this was def not the case.  the atty that was removed was .58ohms and the new coil was .29ohms.... so it was half of the original coil.  shouldnt there have been a new coil warning in this case?

again its not an issue.  i just want to understand why.

I think you are looking at it backwards...if there is a slight difference, the board will inquire if it is a new coil.. but with enough of a difference, 50% in this case, the board knows that it is probably a new coil & should use the newly read resistance value...

• Like 3

thanks again for the help you two.  since wrapping my head around how it actually operates i have been loving this device.  such a step up from the joyetech stuff.  

looking forward to the new releases coming this year.  hoping to see some new small single cell devices like my lavabox with color chips in them.  i really wish Lost Vape would make a single cell Therion DNA75C or the Paranormal.  or even the Lavabox M DNA75C.

• Like 1