To lock Ohms or to not lock Ohms ... that is the question

OK, long time DNA user, but experiencing something new. 

Mod Hellfire Shadow DNA 75, Atty doesn't really matter, coil 316L SS fused Clapton

If I let the mod sit it will read 0.24 and be lethargic (vape is too cool).  I then disconnect / reconnect the battery and it will then read 0.26 and perform well ... that is until the next time it cools down.  If I lock the Ohms when it's working as I wish (in this example 0.26), all good.  That said, if I use simple round wire builds (SS 316 or SSV Ti) I don't seem to run into this.  I was thinking it was the coils (have several similar coils in different atty's), but not totally convinced it's as simple as the coil ... maybe ?  Complex SS 316 coil not providing consistent resistance ?  I've always operated under the impression having to lock resistance meant something bad was happening elsewhere (atty, coil, etc).

Any thoughts are appreciated ....

For TC you're talking, right? Your thoughts are correct, and luckily I've never had to lock. But, have you checked that your thermal values and mod resistance are set correctly? When you go and lock your ohms when it's working, you stop refinement. Could it be that your coils are made from different batches of SS (being an alloy) they're not all the same?

0.005, thought of that too .... beginning to think that multi strand (Alien, Clapton, etc) coils are challenging to ensure the proper contact the chip needs.  Always had used single strand coils, but got a wild hair to play with these more complex SS 316L coils.  Not all experiments are a success, right ?