USB Charging

I apologize if this seems amateur, but I never did RC cars, I'm not familiar with LiPo's or balance boards etc.

The DNA200 has a USB, and the talk of USB charging has been done, so I'm assuming it can charge via USB ?  The YiHi boards could not charge via usb, with batteries in series, maybe that's why I'm having a hard time understanding.  It makes sense that the USB charging would be possible, just charge each cell independently?  If Evolv did this, I think that's just great.

Although, just like I was a bit confused, I believe the average consumer is going to have a hard time understanding it can charge via USB for the same reason I just described.

I have to tell people all the time, when they get their custom dual battery 350J device that the USB cannot be used for charging.  
"But the SxMini M Class can charge through USB!"
"Yes, because it's only one battery.  USB max is 5 volts, two 18650 is 8.4 max, so it can't charge via USB"

So, to be clear.  The DNA200 can charge via USB?   I do know the battery must have a balance board connector (who knows, maybe they all have these?) and the connector must be connected.

Sorry to keep on going, but this makes me curious about this recently recommended LiFe battery:

9.9V LiFe Battery Pack

I'm wondering, would this battery still be able to be charged via USB?  I'm thinking no?  I see it has a balance board connector attached.  Is the DNA200 smart enough to know what each cell voltage is?

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked, or isn't more publically available knowledge.  There has got to be more people like me who aren't familiar with multicell batteries and balance board charging.

Thank you for your time.

There is no problem the 5 V from the USB is just converted to a higher voltage and a dedicated chip (I believe) controls the battery charging, monitoring and maintenance, but battery type needs to be set to the correctly type and IIRC the capacity in the EScribe software.  I will not try and get any more technical than this as Evolv can provide the details, but I do think these devices will be less confusing to customers that the one you mention, after all most of the world are used to charging their phones like this.

Sounds good.  That's what I was thinking, that you would just setup the battery stats within the software.  How cool is that!  Plug in your USB and you're good to go!  Love it.

If Evolv (or anyone) wants to chime in anymore details, they are more than welcomed.  Thank you.

Just to confirm one more time.  If there is, say, a single 10 volt Battery.  Can we use it, and also charge via USB?  You say make sure the tap leads are connected, this would only be in multicell battery setups, correct?  I am just confirming I understand what tap leads are (the leads that go to the balance charger)?

Thanks again.

There aren't any 10v batteries that would be applicable. They are all multicell setup. The balance lead basically adds a tap at the +,-, and each cell bridge. This allows you to read individual cells as well as shunt power around to keep the cells in balance during charging.