Fuse and cell 1 issue

I am attempting to use a Turnigy 1300mah 20c pack. When I connected the first pack the fuse blew and the monitor read 0 volts on the first cell. I thought it was a bad pack. Got a new pack(same model) and replaced the fuse. This time it didn't blow. It still shows 0 volts on cell 1. No charge happening. It will power on the pack as long as the fire button is held. Once I let it go it shuts off. On usb I get a check battery if I try to fire. Please advice. Thanks, Rick

Use a multimeter to measure the cells with the pack not connected to the board. Disconnect the tap and the power leds. 

Measure the hole pack voltage, and the the voltage on each cell and report back. 

If it is reading below 8v, it will immediately power the board off when you disconnect USB and aren't holding the fire button down. 

The turnigy batteries aren't horrible if you get a good one, but the QC is pretty suspect. I've gotten packs with dead cells, packs with cells installed backwards... etc

Alternatively, you could have the balancer leads shorting. An exuberant soldering job on the connector could cause this, or it might be mounted such that one of the solder tails of the balancer leads is able to short to case. 

Blowing fuses should be singularly rare, so there's probably a short circuit going on somewhere for it to happen. 

If none of that, post a high resolution image of the front and back of your board and maybe we'll be able to see some assembly error there. 

One way or another we'll get you going, so don't sweat it too much. 

John said:

Use a multimeter to measure the cells with the pack not connected to the board. Disconnect the tap and the power leds. 

Measure the hole pack voltage, and the the voltage on each cell and report back. 

If it is reading below 8v, it will immediately power the board off when you disconnect USB and aren't holding the fire button down. 

The turnigy batteries aren't horrible if you get a good one, but the QC is pretty suspect. I've gotten packs with dead cells, packs with cells installed backwards... etc

Alternatively, you could have the balancer leads shorting. An exuberant soldering job on the connector could cause this, or it might be mounted such that one of the solder tails of the balancer leads is able to short to case. 

Blowing fuses should be singularly rare, so there's probably a short circuit going on somewhere for it to happen. 

If none of that, post a high resolution image of the front and back of your board and maybe we'll be able to see some assembly error there. 

One way or another we'll get you going, so don't sweat it too much. 

Thanks. I'll get all the info together and get it posted. I'm thinking something board side. Hope I didn't knick something. I did test the pack and balance connector and everything looked good.

Yup, the resistor got knocked off. You can see the divot in the solder where it used to be. It is a 100 ohm resistor. Without it, it can't read the cell. 

You could send it to us and we'll put one back on. Or if you got it from protovapor and they want to set up a return, that's no trouble either. 

• 3 weeks later...