Ti Temp. Protection lighting my cotton on fire

Sticky907

Hey everybody,

So i'm new to temp control and I've got to be doing something wrong because it is literally lighting my cotton on fire. I am using Ti as I am allergic to Nickel. I used the SSV Ti curve that was provided by SSV in another thread in this forum. I attempted to vape at 50 watts and 350 degree Fahrenheit. I took a couple of hits and it was HOT and tasted like burnt cotton.

Figured it might be the coils because I made some contact coils with the .5 SSV Ti wire. So i switched to a spaced coil and same thing. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?  

I would first check to make sure cold atty resistance is stable and repeatable using atomizer analyzer. If cold resistance is read as higher than what it actually is, temps can go to the stratosphere. Start checking connections, including on the atty, screws tight, etc., 510 clean, good ground between 510 and board . . . Another thing that will light up an atomizer is TCR too high. Make sure the correct (or at least sane if there's no way to verify for the specific wire) normalized values appear on the profile screen for the atomizer. Is the wire you are using SSV? Their curve is different from Ti grade 1. If you're using Ti grade 1, the TCR curve may be too high. Use the steam engine curve. Another thought is possibly high static resistance of the atomizer. Attys with an intermediate connection (like replaceable coil assembly) or adjustable pin seem to be the worst on this. You may have to adjust the TCR to compensate. What atty are you using?

Soulseek, I am definitely new to all of this but I understand how TCR works. 

Like I said I am using the curve that SSV provided for their .5mm wire and all I have tried using so far is SSV .5mm wire. I will begin ensuring that the cold resistance is stable like you mentioned. I am currently using a Tobeco Velocity clone.

I have same issue alot of times... Check your 510ground connection. On your Atty. I have an opus200 the ground really shouldn't be causing an issue for me because of board grounds to case and the ground wire... But I still have it act up... The ground is soldered good... But it still acts up. So idk. Just check it out make sure it all looks good jiggle it around. I had alot of issues with same thing. Then it just started working right again

Sticky907 said:

Soulseek, I am definitely new to all of this but I understand how TCR works. 

Like I said I am using the curve that SSV provided for their .5mm wire and all I have tried using so far is SSV .5mm wire. I will begin ensuring that the cold resistance is stable like you mentioned. I am currently using a Tobeco Velocity clone.

I wouldn't trust anything coming from SSV, they make bullshit claims that they take Grade 2 Ti and turn it into something purer than Grade 1, which is ridiculous.

Get yourself a good source of Grade 1 Ti and you shouldn't have any problems.

I to agree about not using SSV wire......They wouldn't release what's really in there wire and I simply don't trust that......There curves have seemed to be real inconsistent and inaccurate on this forum.....Also they like to argue with John on his own site and in his sandbox.....That alone is enough for me to boycott them

This is the only place I could find the wire http://www.unkamensupplies.com/products/pure-titanium-wire-100-guarantee-specific-for-jewelry-surgical-grade-1-you-pick-gauge-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28-30-32?variant=1187417469 bought the 26g wire really like it so much I bought a lot more I should be good for a year. Get it while you can. You'll get a free sample pack of stuff to make with your wire, I just gave it to my gf she likes that type if stuff

Little update:

I cleaned the hell out of my entire dripper by soaking it in some vodka and then giving it some elbow grease. Using the same spaced coil that I had in there it now works great.

For those suggesting something other than SSV, what would you suggest? I spoke to a buddy of mine who is very educated on the subject of metallurgy and he said that at the temperatures used for vaping grade 1 and grade 2 Titanium should be more than safe. Now with that being said I can't comment on the "special" process SSV is talking about. 

Would I be better off with Spider Silk? Unkamen seems like they have good prices but should I be concerned that it is meant for jewelry? I understand that there typically is no special process used to make "vaping wire" but I've also heard Unkamen stuff has a lot of residue on it. 

Like any wire you need to clean it first and they do state that on there web site. As far as the Ti wire that unkamen has they say it's surgical titanium a lot of people in this word have allergies to metal. Give them a try you'll see why I trust them when you see the package the sample pack comes in. Or don't buy, more for me :)