Hana modz v200 warranty service message

Schnell18t

So I had the issue with tp mode not working on my hana and the screen ribbon pinch so I sent it back to hana a few weeks ago. I got it back Friday and it was working great. But today I get up and it was working fine for a half hour or so but then I get the warranty service screen. The mod was not hot at all and the voltage of the battery was reading 12.6 when I took it off the charger. I tried hooking it up to escribe but it wouldnt connect and the atty was making a weird clicking sound so i took it off, it was still making a click sound after I took it off but the sound was different. So I unplugged the usb and now when I plug it in it just shows the warranty service screen. I was hoping I wouldnt have to send this back in but it looks like I might have to. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for any help. 
https://youtu.be/DBHUpgRg_Jc

I am having the exact same problem. I have had the V200 since the first day it came out and using daily. I was running firmware 8-21. Performed both soft and hard resets and nothing. The mod does successfully connect to eScribe and Device Monitor, but once its unplugged from USB, it turns on and then immediately turns off.

Ron

Immediately turns off... That shouldn't normally be related to the Warranty Service message.
What do your battery cell voltages show in Device Monitor?

This is interesting. I woke up this morning and the device is now working normal (or at least it has been for the last 10 minutes).

Last night, battery cell voltages were about 4.1 for each cell, the "Pack" was registering 0.0V. This morning (with the device working), Pack is currently registering 12.0V. In addition to that, the ambient room temperature is much closer to reality than what it was last night. It's currently reading 72.0F, whereas last night it was above 100F and sadly it was not 100F in Cleveland. :-) Lastly, the band gap value that you referred to in another post on this topic is back very close to 1.0. On the topic of the pack voltage, after the puff, the pack voltage reads 0.0V for a second or two and then back up to 12V.

I am assuming that this is the root cause of the message in the first place.

My definition of "turns off" is the screen going black while firing the device. It would fire for about 1-2 seconds and then stop firing. The screen would go black. Each subsequent press would do the same thing as waking from sleep (EVOLV DNA 200 --> Watts displayed --> Blank screen).

Right now, things are working, so now I am slightly concerned about whether this will repeat itself and I have to carry more than one mod around with me which is obviously not desirable.

EDIT: So much for working. It stopped after 15 mins or so. The pack voltage now reads 0.0V whereas the cells are still 4.0-4.1 each. We are back where we started.

Ron

are you still using it with the small jst battery connector these originally shipped with? sounds like the connector may have been overloaded and now may be making a less than good connection, under load it can't supply enough so it resets as if the battery was disconnected. to test, try cleaning the contacts and see if there is any improvement, even unplugging and replugging it a few times may help test but the best cure really is to replace the main battery connector

are you still using it with the small jst battery connector these originally shipped with? sounds like the connector may have been overloaded and now may be making a less than good connection, under load it can't supply enough so it resets as if the battery was disconnected. to test, try cleaning the contacts and see if there is any improvement, even unplugging and replugging it a few times may help test but the best cure really is to replace the main battery connector

It is completely stock other than the fact that it shipped without the top two case screws (which Hana sent later). I have never cracked the case open, and unsure of Hana's stance on doing so relative to the rest of the warranty on the mod.

Ron

opening the case is no problem at all for the warranty, I'd say open it and unplug the battery connector and plug it back in, wiggle it around a bit while escribe is monitoring and you may see pack voltage jump around a bit, it's most likely the main battery connection 

It seems like even if this worked that it would likely just fail again. I read somewhere about the connector being used here not being to spec. Is that something that is being upgraded in the "non pre-production" boxes as far as you know?

Ron

After i sent it back Hana soldered the battery to the board so i cant take it out anymore. It will not connect to escribe so i cant see the battery voltage levels. But when i pulled it off the charger they all read 4.1

I'm not sure that I follow. Why can't eScribe read your voltages if the battery is soldered onto the chip and how to you externally charge the battery if its soldered to the board?

Ron

onefastvette said:

After i sent it back Hana soldered the battery to the board so i cant take it out anymore. It will not connect to escribe so i cant see the battery voltage levels. But when i pulled it off the charger they all read 4.1

I'm not sure that I follow. Why can't eScribe read your voltages if the battery is soldered onto the chip and how to you externally charge the battery if its soldered to the board?

Ron

onefastvette said:

opening the case is no problem at all for the warranty, I'd say open it and unplug the battery connector and plug it back in, wiggle it around a bit while escribe is monitoring and you may see pack voltage jump around a bit, it's most likely the main battery connection 

It seems like even if this worked that it would likely just fail again. I read somewhere about the connector being used here not being to spec. Is that something that is being upgraded in the "non pre-production" boxes as far as you know?

Ron

yes, you're right, my advice was more about trying to positively identifying the problem.

I ended up sending the Hana back for inspection/repair on Monday. They received the mod on Tuesday and I have gotten a shipping notification from USPS and expect it to be back in the mail today. Great turn around from Hana on this one. Hopefully everything is back to normal after the repair. I'll report back on what they did and how its working after I've had it in my hands and vaped for a few days.

Thanks to everyone who offered help and suggestions!

Ron

I got the Hana back on Saturday and its working flawlessly since coming back. I did not get an indication of what was done to correct the issue, so I dropped Hana a note this morning and was told that both a new board and a new Lipo were installed in the device.

So far so good, and their turnaround was 1 day after receiving the device. I know that others have had different opinions on the support, but I wanted to put it out there that mine was really good in this instance.

Ron