How Many Folks Want a Single 18650 version of the DNA200

BobC

I'm a squonker, and have numerous DNA40 BF mods. while I love the feature set of the DNA200, and have a couple for testing purposes, the footprint required for even the minimum power configuration is just too large for my liking.

As Evolv did with the DNA25, I would love a pared down version of the chip able to run on a high drain 20A 18650

Is anyone else of this opinion?

I think it would be awesome but forget about the dna200 for this, maybe more like an updated dna40, so like a dna 50 or 60 that's about the same form factor as the 40 is, but with escribe type capability. prolly be the next progression of the dna40 I would think, that would be really cool :)

Ya think?

Of course you can't run 1 18650 at better then 50 /60 watts

I'm just talking about the feature set, not the max watts, I even understand for cost sake the chip/board would have to be a bit bigger to handle the 2nd eprom, and that's fine to me

U can get a 3s or 2s battery that isn't much bigger at all compared to a single 18650...The fully max 900 11.1 3s battery isn't much bigger than and 18650 especially if it's in a sled.......try looking up some lipo sizes and I think you'll be happy to know there are some in the size range u r looking for.....look in the "let's see your 200's" thread and there's some single 18650 sized squonkers in there sporting a 3s lipo

The LG HE2 is a 2500 mah...The Fullymax 900hp 3s lipo is a little bigger than an 18650 but probably smaller if the 18650 is in a sled....3s lipos have 3 cells so that would be 2700 mah. ...but...that is kind of an inaccurate way to rate them and techs say to go by the actual watt hours to rate them which I know that lipo is like 10.2 watt hours.....the dna 200 uses buck instead of boost so ur getting way better battery life than an 18650 being boosted..the dna 200 has onboard charging and charges the 900 lipo pretty damn fast at 1a so really no need to swap batteries unless u really want to....anyway just sayin that u can make a squonker with a lipo about the same size as one with an 18650

Replacing lipos is not a good option considering the majority of novice and average users. Not everyone is comfortable with electronics like we are. From a business perspective we need power options like the sx350J has + Evolv's amazing Escribe and advanced electronics. I still believe that a smaller DNA 60/120 with single / dual 18650 option ( in parallel or series ) will give us great advantages and flexibility to build and market longer lasting and easy to handle devices.   

scoopy said:

The LG HE2 is a 2500 mah...The Fullymax 900hp 3s lipo is a little bigger than an 18650 but probably smaller if the 18650 is in a sled....3s lipos have 3 cells so that would be 2700 mah. ...but...that is kind of an inaccurate way to rate them and techs say to go by the actual watt hours to rate them which I know that lipo is like 10.2 watt hours.....the dna 200 uses buck instead of boost so ur getting way better battery life than an 18650 being boosted..the dna 200 has onboard charging and charges the 900 lipo pretty damn fast at 1a so really no need to swap batteries unless u really want to....anyway just sayin that u can make a squonker with a lipo about the same size as one with an 18650

Sorry Scoopy, I meant to type HG2,it's 3000 mah, no sled required.

I hear what you're sayin, but the closest size BF mod I've seen anybody make is Turbo,it is larger then any of my DNA40 BF mods and he had to use 3 separate 600 mah lipos he converts to 3S, so he could customize the placement of each one in his box.

Conjecture is fine, but if you can show me another BF design that isn't at least 1.5 times the size of my DNA40s, and has a replaceable battery config, I'd be in

bob I got a few ideas in mind for BF's, just no time to play. I even came up with a way to get a woodville to fit a dna200 too which should be cool and not much more difficult than installing a dna40. the trick with BF is to find the right cells. the 600mah cells I'm using are great, I can fit 3 of them in a woodvil with a little modification. all 3 cells stacked are same depth and only 3mm wider than an 18650. I know they're only the equal of ~ 1,800mah 18650 but honestly it hasn't been bad at all in use so far, I just plug it in when I'm in the car or sitting at my desk to throw a little extra juice at it. good thing about a smaller battery is it charges pretty quick, I get around 1% per minute on usb at 1a, so a 25 min usb charge adds 25% to the battery level. I'd like to be able to charge it at 3 or 4 amps though because at lets say 4a the battery would charge from empty to full in ~ 25 min. I always carry at least 2 mods with me but since I've built the dna200 I've been able to vape it exclusively and haven't vaped any other mod for a few weeks now so the smaller pack has been very manageable as long as you're able to throw it a little charge here and there, 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there makes all the difference in extending it to a full day for me and the way I vape at least. 

I also found another cell setup that would build a really nice feeder too. I bought a 1,400 mah 3s pack but then remove one cell for a 2s 1,400 which winds up being comparable to ~ 2,800mah 18650. the nice thing about this pack is after it's modded to 2s it's only ~ 11mm thick, so again, it will build a mod ~ woodville size give or take with a little creativity

I wish I had some tolerance for a plastic mod because designing something like this for a 3d printer would be cool, only I can't stand plastic myself and wouldn't waste the time to design a printed mod personally :) I've been thinking about building a run of aluminum machined mods with a cnc machine shop but being a vendor on ECF kinda sucks in some ways so I've not been so eager to do it really but I'm thinking about it

Turbo I've been dying to get into squonking except most are.all just way to underpowered (dna40) What I really would love to have is a dna200 squonker. ..I've been following ur posts hoping for a 3d print of a squonker for this chip....If u end up making one metal or 3d print please let me know!

Hey Turbo, you know I've seen your 600 3S implementation, and it's fantastic, but at 15+ml/day, and the difficulty level of 3Sbattery replacement, it obviously wouldn't work for me, but the 1400mh 2S sounds very interesting size wise at11mm, if the bat can be implemented in a replaceable fashion. What's the width and length of the remaining two batts? 

alright here's some pics for size references. a single 18650 would be ideal but trying to work with what we got,  here is the 2s 1,400 pack, it's about the size of a woodvil door, I'll get exact dimensions it's from a turnigy multistar 1.4 pack 

I also cut up a woodvil tonight to see if it would fit a dna200 with the 3s 600mah and it fits. a 3s in this config as a pack would be easy to swap if you wanted to swap

if you really want a extended battery life mod once you go up to 1,000mah lipo size your at the dual 18650 size, that might be best for you size wise, it's def quite a bit fatter than my reference woodvil, but can get dual 3,000 mah 18650's. it will slim down a bit as it's finished but still gonna be a fat one :) I think it comes down to either having a few smaller mods or one bigger one :)

and last layout as a size reference is this config pictured below which is 4 600's in a 2s2p, would be a little wider than a woodie but can be made slim and relatively short

bob I'll probably make a brass cover with ss buttons on the 3s woody. I also have a VV woody that I was thinking of trying with dual 18350's, there are a few 350's out there now that aren't too wimpy but as john says gonna have to run lower power for sure, especially as a 2s but even 60-70 watts or so should still be a nice kick over just a dna40. 

I'm sure Turbo, but in reality, I rarely hover over 20-30 watts myself (and I see your Chalice, and know you're not going too high with that RDA), so 2S would be fine for me.

Show us the finished mod when done, can't wait to see it.

John,   I hope it's sooner rather then later, I'd be stocking up on em