Another Random Dead Board

Cotay

I just had the board in a new build up and die after more than seven hours of use.  I just finished the build about 5:00 PM last night and vaped it until 12:30 AM PST with out any issues.

I had it set to 18W with a Subtank Mini, a .15 ohm Subtank Ni coil with temp protect set to 530F.  When I went to bed, I took the atty off and set it aside for the night.  I reinstalled the same atty/coil this morning and as I drew my first pull it just died; there were no indications of issues on the screen when I installed the atty.  No sounds came from the board...it just stopped working.

I could feel the front of the mod starting to get more warm than usual after it died, so I desperately found my T3 bit and pulled the screws...this took about 20 minutes to do since in my haste I stripped the access screw heads.  When I did get it open, the battery was perfectly cool, but the bottom board sink was almost too hot to touch; I didn't feel the top sink since I immediately disconnected the battery.  The board then cooled quickly.

Nothing is coming up on USB and EScribe doesn't recognize the board now.  My wires all look fine with no indication of shorts, melting or burning. Any ideas? 

How long ago did you get the board and from where? Do you know what the manufacture date was? And what firmware. 

It never woke up after being off, correct? 

There was an old bug that could do this, but it should have been corrected with the 7/9 firmware. I would hate to have it back, especially if it was a new production board with new firmware. 

Hi John,

This was one of two boards received from Mike Petro's Co-Op on ECF.  The firmware was updated yesterday post build to the 7/16 firmware.  You are correct, it never fired this morning.  I could have sworn however that the screen did light up before I went to vape it.  I went ahead and also tested the battery as well and all three cells are in balance at 3.87v each. Forgive my ignorance, but where can I find the production date?  I assume it's printed on the board, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be. :D

John said:

Yeah, yours is definitely not talking to the analog front end. Is your cell 3 tap solid, and the resistors closest to the USB connector on the right?

Yeah I'm not sure but it is a 11.1V 3s 35c wired directly to the board with balance connector plugged in. If you need me to wire it back up I will, sorry I should have taken a screen shot with it plugged up though eScribe, here is some pictures. I resoldered the joints to the tap just now and plugged it up to eScribe here is a picture.

0802151622.jpg

0802151623.jpg

John said:

Yeah, yours is definitely not talking to the analog front end. Is your cell 3 tap solid, and the resistors closest to the USB connector on the right?

What do you think? Should I send it to you as I do not know what else I can do, this is the only 1 that didn't work from the start and all the others are still working great with no issues.

• 4 weeks later...

So my second board (from the ECF Co-Op) just up and died.  Same exact symptoms as the first dead board, except this time I was able to vape for about 5 minutes this morning before it just stopped working.  The board does not register in EScribe and is completely dead.  I had upgraded to the latest firmware two nights ago.

The replacement board from Evolv for my first dead board and a board purchased at retail are working fine so far.

Frustrating to say the least.

you can say that again, my first batch of dna40's was 0 for 6 and had me pulling my hair out of my head, but the first 2 dna200's of the first 4 I got have been just about perfect so far. sorry to hear about your troubles cotay, of course it may very well be something that has nothing to do with your build, but given the odds and the fact that it's 2 in a row in the same build I'd really scrutinize everything in the build at this point. I'm sure you have, just thinking out loud here :) 

turbocad6 said:

you can say that again, my first batch of dna40's was 0 for 6 and had me pulling my hair out of my head, but the first 2 dna200's of the first 4 I got have been just about perfect so far. sorry to hear about your troubles cotay, of course it may very well be something that has nothing to do with your build, but given the odds and the fact that it's 2 in a row in the same build I'd really scrutinize everything in the build at this point. I'm sure you have, just thinking out loud here :) 

This was in two entirely different builds.  The build that had the first dead board is working fine with the replacement board from Evolv. 

I don't feel bad now seeing how I'm not the only one murdering boards :) I've kills 3 a 25,40 and a 200. The 25 shorted out dump move on my part but the other two where odd it acted like the down button was held down. I'm guessing my cheap iron was leaking voltage or the fumes from the shoe goo caused the problem. The 200 was a slow death I pulled off the down button it stopped it from going down in watts but my remote buttons didn't work so I ripped off the rest of the buttons and soldered wires to the button pads for my remote buttons it work for 3 days till I updated the firm wear to the latest before bed, it still work but in the morning I got two vapes out of it and it started to go up in watts automatically so it's done for

Laguz75 said:

I don't feel bad now seeing how I'm not the only one murdering boards :) I've kills 3 a 25,40 and a 200. The 25 shorted out dump move on my part but the other two where odd it acted like the down button was held down. I'm guessing my cheap iron was leaking voltage or the fumes from the shoe goo caused the problem. The 200 was a slow death I pulled off the down button it stopped it from going down in watts but my remote buttons didn't work so I ripped off the rest of the buttons and soldered wires to the button pads for my remote buttons it work for 3 days till I updated the firm wear to the latest before bed, it still work but in the morning I got two vapes out of it and it started to go up in watts automatically so it's done for

The board in this particular build was unmodified and working fine for a month and a half of daily use.  I see absolutely no indication of why it died.  If it is anything I've done, there is nothing in my builds that is apparent to me that would cause this. 

I just think the boards are really sensitive. It could be static electricity that got to it. All I know is I thought I was really good at soldering till I messed with the DNA boards. I have a ESD safe hakko iron coming tomorrow so I should have 0 failures. One thing I've noticed is when cutting or trimming the high strand wire some of the strands can fall on to the board and could short out something.

• 2 weeks later...