Function of ohm lock range?

Mad Scientist

I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere so I apologize if I'm being lazy but can someone definitively explain exactly how the ohm lock range parameter functions? I've read at least two different explanations: Say you remove and replace an atomizer: 1. If the new reading is within ohm lock range of the previous reading, it won't ask new coil and assumes it's the same atomizer, else if outside the ohm lock range it asks. (But if this is the case then there's another wider delta where it assumes it's different and doesn't ask, just assumes it's a different atty). 2. If the new reading is within the ohm lock range of previous reading but outside some other fixed delta, it asks, if it's outside the ohm lock range, it assumes it's a different atty and doesn't bother to ask. The problem is there are two states where it doesn't ask -- so close it assumes it's the same atty and so far off it assumes it's a different atty. What I'm trying to accomplish is having it ask every time I change attys, whether very close or very far off.

Mad Scientist said:

What I'm trying to accomplish is having it ask every time I change attys, whether very close or very far off.

Have you tried 1% in the range then so that the assumption for same coil is the smallest?  There appears no way in escribe to set the other end and reduce the frequency of it assuming it is a new coil without asking.

blueridgedog said:

[QUOTE=Mad Scientist] What I'm trying to accomplish is having it ask every time I change attys, whether very close or very far off.

Have you tried 1% in the range then so that the assumption for same coil is the smallest?  There appears no way in escribe to set the other end and reduce the frequency of it assuming it is a new coil without asking.[/QUOTE] Hi Blueridgedog, haven't tried a whole lot of experimenting yet (seems silly I know but I have so many other small experiments here and there going on -- I figure somebody knows what the setting actually does lol). So the way it works is if I reduce the ohms lock range to a small percentage, it will ask if the reading delta is > the specified percentage of the old reading? I wish all the process parameters could be set in escribe. The whole "automatic transmission" analogy is great except in the real world where I have attys with adjustable pins that often suck at just maintaining a stable static resistance -- I want the mod to ask so I know I'm about to get a nuclear blast of a vape if I don't do something about it. Also have a bunch of attys with identical builds very close, but not identical, in resistance -- it seems to assume they are actually identical. I presently have it set to 10% and before I really dig in to futzing with it I was hoping to know what it really does. Anyway, you seem to know the function of the ohms lock range setting -- what exactly does it do? Thanks.

Mad Scientist said:

I presently have it set to 10% and before I really dig in to futzing with it I was hoping to know what it really does. Anyway, you seem to know the function of the ohms lock range setting -- what exactly does it do? Thanks.

It is as you suspect, simply a configurable figure for the new same/new base assumption.  Within that range it will assume it is the same coil and not prompt you.  There must therefore be an upper range that it automatically assumes is a new coil, but that can not be set.  

It will always assume a new coil if you've just attached it and the newly measured resistance has changed so drastically that, if it *were* the same coil, its temperature would have to be below -100F or over 800F (lowest or highest electrical resistivity on the Material Profile).

Thanks to you both. Makes sense. So I'm going to set it very narrow and that should pretty much do it. I still hate adjustable 510 pins on attys lol. I've been tightening them as tight as they will go which seems to help a lot. The only "gotcha" there is when resistance increase a lot due to an intermittently bad connection between the pin and the post and it thinks it has to be a new coil when I replace the atty. The resulting vape is, shall we say, warm lol.

blueridgedog said:

A small O ring under the post will allow more torque and better internal contact while still letting the tip stick out just enough for the 510.  I have 8 GTs and three of them are crap for TC vaping for that same reason.  A .25 build slips to .35.

Good idea. I will definitely do that. Thanks again.