Question about VT200

Laaf2005

I was wondering a few things. A friend of mine just got a hcigar vt200 and said it was acting strange out of the box. He said he was trying a kanthal coil with a Smok tfv4. I know the vt200 comes with a profile for nickel. Does the vt200 autosense out of the box for kanthal or will it try to fire in temp control. He tried it 5 time or so and now it won't turn on. Would using a tank with a regular kanthal coil (vt200 right out of the box no settings changed) damage the vt200?

You don't need to do anything for it to work with Kanthal or any other non temp sensing coils, it will look like it is in temp mode before you fire ti the first time, but it will detect that it has not changed resistance enough in the first second and not try to limit the temperature.  It won't damage it either.

OK thanks. My other question is if he didn't charge it before trying to use it could the reason he said it was acting strange be because the battery was to low? And I'd he kept using it could it drain the battery enough to damage it? I know the vt200 doesn't come setup with the correct battery setting and cutoff limit. I am just trying to figure out why it stopped working after only trying it about 5 times.

Most devices with Li batteries ship with about 40% charge to extend the shelf life so he could well have just ran the battery flat, again the board has lots of protection to stop damage from things like that, but get him to update the firmware and charge it before worrying about anything.

My Hcigar VT200 came with the 14.43 setting for a 1300mah battery. the problem is the actual mah of the factory battery is closer to 1000. When the DNA200 chip senses a weak battery it goes into a limp mode to get you home. Mine went into limp mode when the battery meter was in the 30% range. Don't worry, nothing is wrong with the chip, just the settings. Vapingbad gave good advise, charge it up. ;)

Ok here is some more info I found out. He was using a smok tfv4 and tried the vt200 out of the box. He said when he was firing it was getting really hot. After trying it about 5 times it no longer turns on. This was with refusal triple coils. Any idea what happened?

I just received a HC VT200 from *****. First thing I did was upgrade the software, before even putting an atty on. That seemed to work fine. So, I got out an new R91 and built a NI200 28ga coil. After I installed the atty on the VT200 I attempted to fire it, nothing happened. So, I fired again this time watching the screen on the VT200. What I noticed was the screen would flash [Short] on the screen then immediately continue trying to fire the atty. The Vt200 started heating up (the side where the board is) and seemed to continue getting hotter, even without continuing to fire it. I took the atty off the mod and the mod started cooling off. I'm wondering if this or something similar is what is causing some of the board failures we've seen. I know that the atty or my coil is the problem with mine. But, had I left the atty connected who knows what my have happened. It was getting hot very hot.

I found the pos. post needed tightening. After tightening the post and installing a ,2 ohm Ni200 coil it is working fine in temp. control. No more overheating.