Charge time of 900MAH battery.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask a question regarding charge time, of my hotcig DNA 200. 

It has a 900MAH Li-Po, and Escribe charges it at around 500MA-so does this mean in theory it should be fully charged in around 2 hours in Esribe? 

Also, I have a 1A wall adapter-but noticed the board temp was increasing, it increased to around 93F so I stopped using that, but will it be warmer charging at 1A? 

If the battery is 900MAH-would 1 A charge it in around an hour? 

Or have I got this all wrong in my head? 

Thanks for putting up with my questions everyone, Conan. 

The voltages are different between USB and the battery. It's best to use watts and watt-hours where possible, because of conservation of energy (watt-hours).

To estimate charge times:
Battery: 0.9Ah x 11.1V=9.99(A x V)h=9.99Wh. Basically a 10 watt-hour battery.
USB: USB is 5V. At 500mA, 0.5A x 5V=2.5(A x V)=2.5W.

That's about a four hour charge. At 1A, 5W will take about two hours. It will be a warmer charge at 1A, yes.

Two things make the charge slower than the estimate above:

(1) USB is nominally 5V at the charge port, but your USB cable may have some loss. If you look at USB Voltage in EScribe while charging full speed vs. not charging you can see this - the drop is proportional to USB current, V=I x R). This isn't something talked about much -- charging 1A with a lower quality cable that delivers 4V to the device will be 20% slower than a cable that actually gets 5V there. The other 20% is going to heating the room.

(2) Once the charging voltage of the LiPo reaches 4.2V at any cell, the charger will lower current so as to ensure it does not go over 4.2V while charging. This occurs in the last 20% or so of the charge, and is for safety.

The battery discharge curve is based on unloaded voltage. The cell soft cutoff is based on loaded voltage.

When a battery gets very low, it can still sustain voltage, especially if all it has to power is the screen, but as soon as you want it to push 50W, it's really much too drained. Think of it as bench pressing 2 lb vs 200 lb when you're incredibly fatigued. One of the two, the bar is going to stay up. :) Soft cutoff reduces the power the battery is being asked to push so the voltage doesn't drop fast.

Try monitoring the battery cells while firing in EScribe. You'll see the effect there clearly.

James said:

The battery discharge curve is based on unloaded voltage. The cell soft cutoff is based on loaded voltage.

When a battery gets very low, it can still sustain voltage, especially if all it has to power is the screen, but as soon as you want it to push 50W, it's really much too drained. Think of it as bench pressing 2 lb vs 200 lb when you're incredibly fatigued. One of the two, the bar is going to stay up. :) Soft cutoff reduces the power the battery is being asked to push so the voltage doesn't drop fast.

Try monitoring the battery cells while firing in EScribe. You'll see the effect there clearly.

Thank you for your clear, concise answers. Ok so around 4 hours-I guess when I get the wismec next week it will be quicker to use my external charger won't it? 

As I will use the hotcig while that charges. Also plenty of other good devices to use. 

I am annoyed with hotcig though. 

This second battery seemed OK when I got it, the DNA was still being RMA'd though-and it read around 11.3 volts. 

WHen I charge it, cell 2 and 3 will charge fully to 4.2V, but cell 1 only go 3.84 volts, no higher. 

I am hoping this will sort itself out over a few cycles, its only had two, but if not I am not wasting no more money on the hotcig-I will have the wismec and likely a dual battery DNA200, the Efusion V2. I know its 'only' 133W, but that is WELL enough for me, I am likely to never use above 80-100 watts. 

Gm111 said:

Have a look at your other thread, not sure about charging time I'd imagine at least 1.5 hours at 1amp.. vaporshark claim their 900mah will charge in 1.5 hours at 2amps soo.. Also don't worry about that temperature 90f is like 30c.

\

Oh haha I am not used to Fahrenheit, we live in the UK where we drive in miles per hour, weigh our self in pounds and ounces, but sell our meat and food by the gram and kilo and measure projects in CM/MM. 

We have one confusing system out here lol. 

Conanthewarrior said:

[QUOTE=Gm111]Have a look at your other thread, not sure about charging time I'd imagine at least 1.5 hours at 1amp.. vaporshark claim their 900mah will charge in 1.5 hours at 2amps soo.. Also don't worry about that temperature 90f is like 30c.

\

Oh haha I am not used to Fahrenheit, we live in the UK where we drive in miles per hour, weigh our self in pounds and ounces, but sell our meat and food by the gram and kilo and measure projects in CM/MM. 

We have one confusing system out here lol. [/QUOTE] Ayy we've got some things in common then hahaha. You must be weighing a baby ;) you forgot the stone..

Hotcig batteries are junk! I have a Hotcig and I just decided to replace the battery they gave me with a Fullymax from EVOLV. I'm glad I did too. I watched a review yesterday, where this guy did a in depth review of the battery that comes with the DX200 and the replacement batteries they're selling on Fasttech right now...the specs were astounding...in a bad way. Hotcig is really shady company and they continue these unethical practices, knowingly, at the cost of consumers like myself. They really need to be held accountable...anyone considering buying from Hotcig should watch this first! Here's the link to the review: http://youtu.be/SeOem8x26Gg

Gm111 said:

I'm not sure what the hotcig battery connectors are like but do you have a multimeter?

Yes I do have multimeter, when I got the battery it measures at 11.31V-so I thought great, a replacement that will work.

BUT when I got my DNA200 back from Evolv, guess what? 

Cell 1 will charge to a maximum of 3.85V, 3.86 if I am lucky. Cell 2 and 3 charge to the full 4.2V. 

So, intead of 10W/h's I get 6. I can't wait for the wismec realauz to come next week, and be done with the hotcig-I will just use it as a back up. 

I am using it right now, but the battery life is comparable to a single battery device at around 30 or so watts. 

So, it works, flawlessly, and performs the best out of all my devices-but I got a bad battery, AGAIN. 

digatel said:

Hotcig batteries are junk! I have a Hotcig and I just decided to replace the battery they gave me with a Fullymax from EVOLV. I'm glad I did too. I watched a review yesterday, where this guy did a in depth review of the battery that comes with the DX200 and the replacement batteries they're selling on Fasttech right now...the specs were astounding...in a bad way. Hotcig is really shady company and they continue these unethical practices, knowingly, at the cost of consumers like myself. They really need to be held accountable...anyone considering buying from Hotcig should watch this first! Here's the link to the review: http://youtu.be/SeOem8x26Gg

Hi there Digatel, I thought the hotcig battery WAS the fullymax that Evolv sell-it has the exact same dimensions as the fullymax 900MAH, plus the same constant and burst ratings. 

I agree hotcig is shady though. 

"Bennett" is currently speaking to me, and has said he will send me a new DX200 on Mondat due to everything I have had to go through via DHL, he asked for my adress and said he will give me a tracking number. 

But, I will find out on Monday/Tuesday if he follows through on this promise. 

Gm111 said:

[QUOTE=Conanthewarrior][QUOTE=Gm111]Have a look at your other thread, not sure about charging time I'd imagine at least 1.5 hours at 1amp.. vaporshark claim their 900mah will charge in 1.5 hours at 2amps soo.. Also don't worry about that temperature 90f is like 30c.

\

We have one confusing system out here lol. [/QUOTE] Ayy we've got some things in common then hahaha. You must be weighing a baby ;) you forgot the stone..[/QUOTE]

Oh hahaha, I did forget the stone! I weigh 11 stone 7 :)

Conanthewarrior said:

[QUOTE=Gm111]I'm not sure what the hotcig battery connectors are like but do you have a multimeter?

Yes I do have multimeter, when I got the battery it measures at 11.31V-so I thought great, a replacement that will work.

BUT when I got my DNA200 back from Evolv, guess what? 

Cell 1 will charge to a maximum of 3.85V, 3.86 if I am lucky. Cell 2 and 3 charge to the full 4.2V. 

So, intead of 10W/h's I get 6. I can't wait for the wismec realauz to come next week, and be done with the hotcig-I will just use it as a back up. 

I am using it right now, but the battery life is comparable to a single battery device at around 30 or so watts. 

So, it works, flawlessly, and performs the best out of all my devices-but I got a bad battery, AGAIN. [/QUOTE] If you've done this since having your mod back then don't worry but try measuring through the balance plug rather than the whole battery and see if each cell is okay.. Should be 3.7, 7.4 &11.1 if that's all good then the problem could be the balace connector on the chip isn't soldered right on cell 1.. Hopefully we can resolve this problem asap, if it's not the solder joint on cell 1 on the balance connector you could always replace the battery with one bought here in the uk, you could get one for under £10.

Conanthewarrior said:

[QUOTE=Gm111][QUOTE=Conanthewarrior][QUOTE=Gm111]Have a look at your other thread, not sure about charging time I'd imagine at least 1.5 hours at 1amp.. vaporshark claim their 900mah will charge in 1.5 hours at 2amps soo.. Also don't worry about that temperature 90f is like 30c.

\

We have one confusing system out here lol. [/QUOTE] Ayy we've got some things in common then hahaha. You must be weighing a baby ;) you forgot the stone..[/QUOTE]

Oh hahaha, I did forget the stone! I weigh 11 stone 7 :). [/QUOTE] Hahaha it's surprising how many people on here are from the uk..

Hi there Digatel, I thought the hotcig battery WAS the fullymax that Evolv sell-it has the exact same dimensions as the fullymax 900MAH, plus the same constant and burst ratings. 

I agree hotcig is shady though. 

"Bennett" is currently speaking to me, and has said he will send me a new DX200 on Mondat due to everything I have had to go through via DHL, he asked for my adress and said he will give me a tracking number. 

But, I will find out on Monday/Tuesday if he follows through on this promise. [/QUOTE] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hey Conan, I thought maybe it was too, considering the specs, but when I took it apart and seen the battery that is in there, it was evident it is not. Granted, it does have the same "specs" and dimensions, but as far as quality it is junk. My battery was DOA, like I said before, so I never was even able to charge them. Nonetheless, when I seen that review on YouTube, I was couldn't believe it. I don't know where the batteries are made, but they are not up to "specs". The dimensions are almost exact that of the Fullymax, which made replacing it very easy. This is the battery that come with the Hotcig and the replacement battery:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a Hotcig DX200 and it takes 35 minuttes to charge the batteries when I use the wall charger that came with the Mod and I bought a spare battery from Hotcig.

I know there are some post and reviews out there that state that the Hotcig is junk, but mine have been working without any probs all the time including the batteries and charger.
I have had it now for 2 months.
I dont know how long it takes by USB as I never charge that way.