Dual power option (internal battery and external power supply)

Nisei

What if the cell 3 balancing lead terminal is directly connected to B+ on the DNA200 board?

Just connect the two red wire to your switch (you can also cut the little red wire, its the same result) :
dna200_lipo+dc.jpg 
btw the switch is open when you connect the external DC, but you already know that ;)

turbocad6 said:

yes, pin labeled# 3 on the balancing plug is connected to battery + of the board. evolve labels the balance plug as gnd 1 2 3 instead of 1 2 3 4 but the last one is equal to battery + 

Thanks. So you've measured it with a multimeter? (sorry, I want to make sure)
That would mean the balancing wire from the battery connected to the pin labeled #3 is actually redundant because the connection is already hard wired on the board.

vidalcris said:

Even if this is not connected on the chipset, this is connected inside the battery :

I know how it's connected inside the battery but that doesn't matter since the + side of the battery gets disconnected when you insert a plug into the DC connector I've drawn in my schematic.
The only important thing I need to know is if the balancing lead for cell #3 is connected to the B+ connector on the DNA200 somehow.
If not, my setup would work and the DNA can be left at the "Battery" setting even when you're using external DC since it still measures the balancing of the cells through the balancing leads.

@Laguz75: The stabilizer you posted is 24v to 12 volt with an input voltage of 18 to 30v, you would need a second battery. The one I posted had an input of 8 to 40v. I ordered one of the 24v for my boat that has a 24v system. Thanks.

BJ43 said:

@Laguz75: The stabilizer you posted is 24v to 12 volt with an input voltage of 18 to 30v, you would need a second battery. The one I posted had an input of 8 to 40v. I ordered one of the 24v for my boat that has a 24v system. Thanks.

yeah I reread the specs and forgot to edit it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I made my box the same way.. and I've found that you can set it to LiPo battery and use external power supply (Directly to one of my wheelchair batteries) if you make a jumper/patch cable with an xt(30 or 60 depending what's on your battery), connector on one end and a balance plug on the other and three 10k resistors in series in between and wire to the balance plug this way:

You can then leave it in Lithium Polymer mode and vape on external PS... when you unplug the patch cable and plug in the battery just make sure you have unplugged the external

2482968.png 

This is my passthru with the patch cable on:

IMG_20151113_215227.jpg 

there's the three 10k resistors in series in the black square wrap, I wrapped double sides foam tape around then black electricians tape over that just to make it sturdy when I up plug it for the battery... It works great this way, I've been using it like this for several weeks now... Note: if it ever starts saying "Check Battery" while on external, just unplug from ext ps, wait about 30 seconds and plug back in and it chugs on... Note 2: Use very high quality resistors, or the batt levels will fluctuate and it won't read correctly... I got this from an admin