"warranty service" on SMY SDNA200. contact evolv or SMY?

Ohhepicfail

the other night my SMY died. wouldn't do anything and i took a whiff and it smelled like slightly burnt electronics. let it sit for a few hours and hooked up to escribe and the screen says "warranty service" and hard and soft reboot do nothing. do i need to contact SMY or evolv for repair?

Typically, you would contact the vendor first, if it is still under warranty. If you find yourself getting nowhere from the vendor or your warranty is not valid, contact Evol-by going their homepage and submitting an RMA ticket...if you have any further questions, just ask. There are many people on here willing to help. Evolv has impeccable customer service, so don't fret, your problem will surely be resolved if your vendor fails to remedy the situation.

• 5 weeks later...
Ohhepicfail said:

well after two emails to the manufacturer not doing any good, receiving no response whatsoever, i am going to submit a ticket to evolv. i was really hoping that SMY would actually support their product but apparently they don't.

you're definitely not going to get a response from any chinese company around this time of the year because of the chinese new year. i think about one more week and they'll be back to work. evolv is great with honoring the warranty of the board. you might have to desolder the board from the mod or evolv may have you send the entire mod in. either way i hope you get it sorted.

While we do take some mods in, we unfortunately cannot on the SMY SDNA mods. Since some have asked what exactly I do, a decent part of what I do is take apart various manufacturers devices and familiarize myself with the design, and how they go together.

With the SMY mods, for one, you have to remove the carbon decal/sticker to access the screw which allows you to open the case. This decal is pretty difficult for our service technicians to remove in one piece without either destroying the decal or marring the mod. On top of that, SMY uses some kind of ungodly strong double sided tape or glue to affix their lipos inside the device. I had such a hard time the other day attempting to remove one that I eventually gave up as the pack was starting to bend from the force of trying to remove it. You have to remove the pack in order to remove the board mount as well.

I know this isn't the kind of news anyone who owns an SDNA wants to hear. We do our best to provide feedback on serviceable designs to the manufacturers, but after that is up to them to actually take the advice and do something with it.

Thanks for the info Nick......  I'm a firm believer that ALL China  mod makers should have a warranty/repair facility in the USA and in other countries as needed.  They can interact with Evolv as needed for board warranty issues.  Just my opinion... and my opinion and a few bucks will get a cup of coffee.... :)

retird said:

Thanks for the info Nick......  I'm a firm believer that ALL China mod makers should have a warranty/repair facility in the USA and in other countries as needed.  They can interact with Evolv as needed for board warranty issues.  Just my opinion... and my opinion and a few bucks will get a cup of coffee.... :)

I completely agree with you. We make it so easy for ANY manufacturer to service their customers devices its a wonder that some of them don't. If a manufacturer wants to send us as many boards as they want for RMA, we replace them. As soon as they come in the door we send new boards right back out to minimize turn around time. After we have the manufacturer taken care of we will then count and verify the return later as time allows and make any adjustments needed to their accounts. IE if the return is marked as 200 boards and we only count 195 we will dock the next order 5 boards.