stainless steel and temperature control

lewisss

I'm using the curve from steamengine for ss316 and I found that it works great when you build higher resistances (>0.6 ohm). I'm currently running the Triton RTA base with a vertical coil (around 10 or 12 spaced wraps over an M4 screw) at 0.91 ohms and it is one of the best vapes that I ever had. I also used ss316 in the subtank with the dicodes and it was also very good (always with resistances ranging from 0.4 to 0.7 ohms).

Regards, D.

• 2 weeks later...
Jaquith said:

I thought I'd add these for UD 316L wire, version 4 is a little warmer. I'm using 1 single 24 gauge wire at appx 0.32 Ohms. The 'standard' SS316L was too cool.

Version 3 - http://www.filedropper.com/dna200-ud-ss316ldjaquithv3

Version 4 - http://www.filedropper.com/dna200-ud-ss316ldjaquithv4

i cant seem to download these profiles links just go to the hosting sites home page

Jaquith said:

I thought I'd add these for UD 316L wire, version 4 is a little warmer. I'm using 1 single 24 gauge wire at appx 0.32 Ohms. The 'standard' SS316L was too cool.

I can't wait to get home and try these. The UD 24g SS 316L is exactly the SS that I've been using. I tried your first csv weeks ago but it never worked for me. At 570 F and 60 watts (how I like to vape), it was just a really cool weak thin vape that kept cutting out when the wicks were still wet. So lately I've just been using a profile where I manually set the TCR to 0.001.

Jaquith said:

Yeah when I click on the links it just asks me if I want to upload something. Did you post them somewhere else I can try?

Yeah that's the aggravating thing about SS316L, is there are at least 4 SAE alloys but UD is from China and they don't have an SAE standard. Frankly it has gotten to the point where you have to test and make adjustments for each wire. What's needed is a tool that can create CSV files .. DNA 200 Mod plus a built-in temperature probe connected to a computer. If the temperature seems too high or too low then let me know and I'll make some adjustments. Otherwise if you edit the file to increase the desired temperature increase the resistance by approximately 0.05 Ohm and test. The temperature should be close up to 460° F but the 500° to 600° F might be a little off. If I need to re-upload it's not a problem it takes no time. Let me know! :-)

Jaquith said:

Yeah that's the aggravating thing about SS316L, is there are at least 4 SAE alloys but UD is from China and they don't have an SAE standard. Frankly it has gotten to the point where you have to test and make adjustments for each wire. What's needed is a tool that can create CSV files .. DNA 200 Mod plus a built-in temperature probe connected to a computer. If the temperature seems too high or too low then let me know and I'll make some adjustments. Otherwise if you edit the file to increase the desired temperature increase the resistance by approximately 0.05 Ohm and test. The temperature should be close up to 460° F but the 500° to 600° F might be a little off. If I need to re-upload it's not a problem it takes no time. Let me know! :-)

Yes please re-upload mate would be interested myself to test those curves - thanks in advance - just realised the links haven't expired yet

Jaquith said:

How off do you think it is between 500 and 600 F? And is it off by hotter or cooler than displayed temp? Because I usually like to vape my titanium builds at around 550-570 F and 65 watts. I had been using the same settings for my SS316L builds with the 0.00105 TCR setting.

I'm now using your V4 at 560 F 55w 120w preheat/0.5s/5 punch (dual UD SS316L 24g build 11 wrap 3mm ID 0.23 ohm in my El Cabron) and it's pretty good. The V4 is a little hot like you say but the V3 is too cool and weak. The punch seems to hit too hard sometimes and when I tried a 120w/0.75s/5 punch I got close to dry hits. When I used the same 120w/0.5s/5 punch with the manually set 0.00105 TCR I never seemed to notice the punch or got dry hits though.

New (to me) information that suggests a higher ohm SS build (more wraps and/or thinner gauge) will lead to more temperature control accuracy:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/tc-beyond-ni200-nickel-purity-dicodes-ti-ss-resistherm-nife30-coefficient-of-resistance.676506/page-61#post-16440202

I believe I'm seeing this in practice.

I am getting what I call very acceptable results with nickel free stainless, Grade 430. It has a higher TCR then grades 304,316 or 317. My build is dual vertical coils of 6 wraps of twisted/twisted 28 gauge around 2mm arbor. I do this by twisting 2 wires tight times two and then twist two twisted strands together at double the twist pitch. This results in a coil that delivers Clapton like flavor and clouds that is far easier to make. I use a modified SteamCrave Aromamizer RDTA, Velocity deck,  that has LOTS of airflow. Flavor and clouds are great.

puff.jpg

TrexWyo said:

I am getting what I call very acceptable results with nickel free stainless, Grade 430. It has a higher TCR then grades 304,316 or 317. My build is dual vertical coils of 6 wraps of twisted/twisted 28 gauge around 2mm arbor. I do this by twisting 2 wires tight times two and then twist two twisted strands together at double the twist pitch. This results in a coil that delivers Clapton like flavor and clouds that is far easier to make. I use a modified SteamCrave Aromamizer RDTA, Velocity deck,  that has LOTS of airflow. Flavor and clouds are great. Attached is a screen print of my results. puff.jpg

Any way I can get a pic of your build? With only finding 28g, I was thinking of doing twisted. I have a velocity decked Crius. Not sure how I'm going to wick for vertical.

I've been using ss430 (28 gauge) for a few weeks now and it's been great. I used the csv from steam-engine, and added in some more points calculated on their older TCR calculator to make it a touch more accurate. Running 430 with 0.75 ohms has been a lot more stable than I've experienced with ss316l or 317l. I'm running it right now at 440F, and the flavor and vapor production has been good.