Therion 166 not charging via USB

PepeSilvia

Edit: Turns out it takes 60 seconds (adjustable) to go to "charging" mode from the default mode once you plug in a charger. I'm an idiot.

Hello everyone! 

I got a brand new Therion 166 as a gift two days ago. I'm using 2 brand new LG HG2 batteries. First time I used the mod I had the batteries charged via an external charger. 

I tried using the USB cable to charge yesterday and it doesn't show the lightning bolt on the battery icon. It also doesn't change the display variables (like amps) when a charger is connected. I manually set it to show charging amps at all times, and it stays at 0 when a charger is connected. I tried both the USB port from my computer and a separate quick wall charger.

The only feedback the device shows when a charger is connected is that the brightness of the display goes up slightly.

It's detected on my computer just fine. I can update it via Escribe. 

Here are two screenshots of my mod window, and device monitor:

[2CKlTVW]

[5hLxKan]    

Edit: My batteries are freshly charged via an external charger right now, when I took the screenshots. If it helps I can vape a little bit and post updated screenshots later. 

giz_60 said:

You try going to 'Diagnostics' in Device Monitor & select 'Reset USB Current Limit'....

I just did. In the diagnostics window it still shows 0.00 for USB current.

Note that my batteries are fully charged (4.20v and 4.19v). Is the display supposed to change to the charging screen even when the batteries are charged to 100%? 

In any case it seems like I need to drain them a little before seeing any results from any suggestions here. I charged them externally last night because I read a post here that said that might fix it.

Thank you for your response :)

ChunkyButt200 said:

have you turned up the "charging brightness" in the "screen" tab of EScribe? you won't see anything unless you do that first.

Thank you for a very quick response!

Yeah it was set to 60% by default. I can still see the screen when the USB is connected, it just doesn't change to "charging" screen from the normal, "running" screen. 

[sf6cWBK]  

giz_60 said:

Your idle time is set for 60 sec...it should change to the charging screen after the 60 secs are up...

Edit: Try lowering your idle time some...I personally use 15 secs..

I'm an idiot. I'm very sorry for wasting everyone's time, and thank you guys for the quick and helpful replies.

That was the trick. It doesn't go to "charging" mode right away. By default it waited 60 seconds. I lowered it down to 10 seconds and it charges just fine, at 1.7+ amps. 

Thank you :)

Awesome...glad it's working good for ya now...:thumb:  Don't feel to bad...it's a learning process! 

Noticed a few other setting changes you might want to consider...this is the battery curve .csv file for the LG HG2's...csv LG_HG2 (2)_18650_3000 mah_18.75 Wh.csv  download the file, click on 'Load CSV' in the Mod tab & then select this file...then change the Wh's to 1875 & set your cell soft cutoff to 2.75v. Also noticed that the values in the case 'Thermal' section are still Evolv defaults...you need to run the case analyzer. Make sure your batteries are at least 50% drained. It will take awhile (up to 3 hours). I usually start the analyzer before heading to bed. When it gets done, it will ask if you want to accept or decline the results. Accept & then upload to device!! Happy Vaping  :)

giz_60 said:

Awesome...glad it's working good for ya now...:thumb:  Don't feel to bad...it's a learning process! 

Noticed a few other setting changes you might want to consider...this is the battery curve .csv file for the LG HG2's...csv LG_HG2 (2)_18650_3000 mah_18.75 Wh.csv  download the file, click on 'Load CSV' in the Mod tab & then select this file...then change the Wh's to 1875 & set your cell soft cutoff to 2.75v. Also noticed that the values in the case 'Thermal' section are still Evolv defaults...you need to run the case analyzer. Make sure your batteries are at least 50% drained. It will take awhile (up to 3 hours). I usually start the analyzer before heading to bed. When it gets done, it will ask if you want to accept or decline the results. Accept & then upload to device!! Happy Vaping  :)

Haha yeah, I'm definitely relieved as sending this in for an RMA would have been an inconvenient process to say the least! 

Yeah I'd appreciate all the help! Even though I've been vaping for about 6 years now this is my first DNA device. I'm not used to so many bells and whistles, and I must say I love them so far!

I'm using this CSV file for my HG2s. Would you recommend the one you linked over it? Is there any noticeable differences among the many versions available, if so is the one you linked the definitive one?

I've read elsewhere on this forum that the DNA chip automatically cuts off around 3v. What difference would it make to set the soft cutoff at 2.75v in that case? Some people even recommended setting the soft cutoff at 3.09v, what would be the reasoning for that line of thought?

I'll definitely try the case analyzer in the next few days. Such a futuristic feature, a far cry from my first device, the Ego T :D

I'm sorry I bombarded you with so many questions there. I'm really excited about all these features and want to find out as much about them as I can!

The 2 .csv files are similar...the other was generated with 3 cells but will work fine, just enter the correct Wh's (18.75) to help the battery indicator on the device to be a bit more accurate.

IIRC, the boards hard cell cutoff is set at 2.5v. not 3.0v  The 3.09v cell soft cutoff is the Evolv default, which is for lipo pack batteries. 2.75v - 2.8v is good for the 18650's. The higher the CSC, the sooner the device will give the weak battery message (flashing battery indicator on the device's screen) &  start throttling back the wattage.

giz_60 said:

The 2 .csv files are similar...the other was generated with 3 cells but will work fine, just enter the correct Wh's (18.75) to help the battery indicator on the device to be a bit more accurate.

IIRC, the boards hard cell cutoff is set at 2.5v. not 3.0v  The 3.09v cell soft cutoff is the Evolv default, which is for lipo pack batteries. 2.75v - 2.8v is good for the 18650's. The higher the CSC, the sooner the device will give the weak battery message (flashing battery indicator on the device's screen) &  start throttling back the wattage.

Ahh I see! Thank you so much!

My current Wh is 22.2, which was calculated using 3000mah and 3.7v x 2. I assume the 18.75 value takes into account the real world performance vs spec sheet numbers?

PepeSilvia said:

My current Wh is 22.2, which was calculated using 3000mah and 3.7v x 2. I assume the 18.75 value takes into account the real world performance vs spec sheet numbers?

Exactly....the 18.75 value & .csv were generated from running the battery analyzer in Escribe