Question about the USB-C capabilities of the DNA60C

Hello! I have just received my first mod with both a dna60c and a usb-c port. it is the tek division brotek v2. I have noticed something that is a dealbreaker for me about the usb-c port and I am trying to find out if its a limitation of evolv's product or the way that the mod maker chose to wire things together. 

I just received it, put a partially charged battery in it, and tried to plug it in through various usb-c cables for charging and escribe. this is what i found:

1. plugging it into a cheap usb-a to usb-c cable charges. this is what the cheapest pod systems do. this requires a usb-a port and special cable.
  2. plugging it into a usb-c to usb-c cable does not charge. i tried this with anker cables into a belkin 4 port usb-c power thing and with an apple cable into my mac's usb and thunderbolt ports.
  3. i loaded up escribe on my mac, which i use with micro-usb dna devices, connected the device to both usb-c and thunderbolt ports with an apple cable and escribe did not register the device. no charging, no connection, nothing.

Can you verify if the DNA60C with evolv's USB-C board is supposed to be able to charge from the standard usb-c / thunderbolt hardware used to charge phones and laptops? Maybe its called USB PD or something? Is the DNA60C supposed to be able to connect to escribe on a mac using an apple cable to either a usb-c or thunderbolt port? I am trying to decide if I just need to swap for a different mod or if i need to return the mod and wait for evolv's hardware to support usb-c better?

thanks,

gerry

-----
Gerry Koh | sadhaka@protonmail.com | 303.923.0050
PGP Fingerprint: 84AD 9E1D C80E B755 9AC9 196C 55A4 35CD 8A89 EE49

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

I do not have a 2A charger board installed, but I do have one in hand, and when plugged into the board itself I got the big red flashing LED showing.

MacBookPro (old)  I can say USB-A to USB-C works fine, standard belkin cable
Macbok Air - USB-C to USB-C works fine, standard Apple cable.

My other USB-C devices all work straight USB-C to USB-C (80C and 100C) on the Air and apple chargers

Have you reached out to TekDivision, are they using the Evolv board?

thank you! I have not reached out to tek division as it doesn't really matter. As long as the DNA60C can be charged and escribed on a Mac with and apple cable then I will just return this mod and ask more questions before the next one :) Thank you for confirming with a personal test that the charging works! Can you confirm that when plugging it in to a Mac usb-c port that escribe sees it?

57 minutes ago, Overkill said:

I have not reached out to tek division as it doesn't really matter

IMHO you should really let them know of any issues and the opportunity to rectify. Neither of my 60C's have a USB-C port, and I only plugged the charger board in and saw the LED. All my mods have worked with escribe for years on both the Air and old MBP. It's been a while but IIRC I was getting close to 3A charging (as advertised) on the 100C.

thank you! I did just make a post on tek division's fb page. I was also talking to another modder who doesn't use the evolv charging board. he was talking about overcharging issues or something. this other modder is actually using  usb-c charging and had escribe working without using the evolv board so it looks like I just have to ask a lot of questions before buying any dna usb-c mods right now.

18 minutes ago, Overkill said:

......... this other modder is actually using  usb-c charging and had escribe working without using the evolv board

This has been true for years and used on the regular DNA60 boards also. Being an off-board/non integrated/add-on some mods even have no USB port at all. 

15 minutes ago, dwcraig1 said:

Tek Division advertises their mod as having a 1 amp type C charger board. Evolv's type C charger board is a 2 amp board. Just thought I'd mention this.

thank you! I now know that these things make a difference :) I've been vaping for 15 years and am just now getting into the new tech like boros. the thought that someone would use a dna board but not evolv's charging board has never even crossed my mind as a possibility before today.

9 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

This has been true for years and used on the regular DNA60 boards also. Being an off-board/non integrated/add-on some mods even have no USB port at all. 

I am learning this the hard way! all of my dna60 devices had rock solid usb ports that for some of them have been the primary way to charge them for years with no issues. I never even thought to ask if they used evolv charging boards because as long as it charged and connected to escribe I didn't care.

This is probably worth mentioning even if it doesn't apply here.  There have been a few instances reported where primary on 3D printed mods where the USB port is slightly recessed in the body not allowing the USB male to go it all the way. 

thank you! maybe the problem is my assumptions here. thanks for setting me straight! I guess at the end of the day as long as it charges with a usb-c cable and hooks up to escribe I don't care that much, although I've never had a problem with wearing out the usb port on my dna mods and I hear others don't last as long