Issue with Temperature Control on New Dotmod DotCoil - 0.3 ohm

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my SKNKWORX - DotAIO D-01 and the new revision of Dotmod DotCoil - 0.3 ohm coils.

Recently, Dotmod introduced a revised version of their DotCoil, which supposedly has better sealing or something along those lines. However, I've run into a problem: temperature control doesn't work with these new coils.

According to the inscription on the coil, it's made of the same material as the previous version, but Escribe software detects it as Kanthal, which doesn't support temperature control.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, moa285 said:

According to the inscription on the coil, it's made of the same material as the previous version

And what would that be?

1 hour ago, moa285 said:

but Escribe software detects it as Kanthal, which doesn't support temperature control.

No DNA mod detects material type at all. YOU have to change that.

If you post a full 'device monitor' screenshot, showing 'cold ohms' and 'live ohms' during a puff it would be more helpful.

EDIT: Click/enable 'cold ohms' and 'live ohms' for them to show.

Change to a TC (SS316) profile on your mod. Let the coil cool down (like 10 minutes) and ONLY enable 'Power' 'cold ohms' and 'live ohms'. Do another screenshot.

Right now I saw no increase in the resistance between cold and live (and with all these different boards I believe 'live' always showed) but I could be wrong or it's not SS or it's not cold.

Having said all that, Device Monitor says you've already done > 40K TC puffs?

17 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

Change to a TC (SS316) profile on your mod. Let the coil cool down (like 10 minutes) and ONLY enable 'Power' 'cold ohms' and 'live ohms'. Do another screenshot.

Right now I saw no increase in the resistance between cold and live (and with all these different boards I believe 'live' always showed) but I could be wrong or it's not SS or it's not cold.

Having said all that, Device Monitor says you've already done > 40K TC puffs?

I have been using these coils since the beginning and everything has always worked without any problems. Only now that they have "modified" them on the package and coils it still says SS316L 0.3ohm. The only change I have noticed is that there is more rubber underneath the coil. See the picture below, left with less rubber, everything works and right with more rubber, the TC doesn't work and it wasn't a defect of one piece, it's the second coil, that's why I'm only addressing it now. Just the "non-temperature-controled" puffs were with the new coil.

451127020_3780956262222744_1221097418635872394_n.jpg

450265911_390037610759168_4594154803975204952_n.jpg

450252769_861346382509999_3834395116731210274_n.jpg

dfsdfsdf.png

That looked like a TC puff (barely) to me. If you were to now click 'temp' and 'temp set' you should see the 2 red lines. I find it hard to believe you need that much power to get that coil to hit that max 425F. (actually it barely hit 300F when you ended the puff, but with your battery not being able to keep up).

As your coil cools even more, that .313Ω (cold ohms) might drop even lower.

I see what you mean about the amount of rubber, if anything you might want to let dotmod know these new coils are inferior.

Posted (edited)

I never used the SS316 profile, so it had default values. I was on SS316L from the beginning. At one point I also thought I felt that switching to SS316 fixed it. I'll let dotmod know. Now I tried going back to the default settings and it seemed like the TC worked (SS316 profile) for a while and then immediately stopped. No idea why. It was measuring the temperature and then it automatically switched to OFF on the mod screen

wat.png

Edited by moa285

1 hour ago, moa285 said:

I never used the SS316 profile, so it had default values. I was on SS316L from the beginning.

I have no idea what you mean by that. You had both a 316 AND a 316L material type and you're switching between the two? 

Well, you have 2 solid 30 watt puffs shown. If your mod shows "OFF", it did that because your coil is not TC controlable(even if it is SS the ohms are not rising enough), and so it fires at the power you set and your mod has turned TC off. 

Posted (edited)

I downloaded the SS316L profile to my device immediately after purchase and have been using it ever since. I never used the SS316 that was in the device when I purchased it. Sorry, English is not my first language. Anyway, it seems there's nothing we can do about it here, so at least thank you for looking into it with me and for your time. And when I talked about the SS316 profile having default values, I was responding to when you said "I find it hard to believe you need that much power to get that coil to hit that max 425F." I'm gonna go complain to Dotmod.

Edited by moa285

Your English has been better than most. Many times when vendors make SS coils like what you have, they use Nickel legs on the coil, then SS for the actual coil. If you take an old coil apart and see a tiny solder bump where they attached Nickel for each leg (so 2 per coil) we can get it to work but the actual temps will be off. OR I can PM you material file to try in TC.

I have disassembled both old coils and attached a photo. They both have those "legs" in there.. actually not that much different except for the larger holes in the mesh. I'm not very tech savvy, but it seems to me that if I just swapped the contact part on the one from the old one, it might work. I'm pretty pissed off about it. When I finish vaping this tank, I'll give it a try. I am also attaching a screenshot of the device monitor with the profile you sent me in PM.wat.thumb.png.8f00a4afb8c2e0c94a5b995083a2a009.png

450210103_1713743009439543_8476560481114239356_n.jpg

450909046_404588232604822_7208945900524709033_n.jpg

450235051_1243416063484534_4752515532444012810_n.jpg

451495714_451407457851648_2616841002314827983_n.jpg

I managed to do it, but the rubber seal of the new coil has two tiny holes in it that are quite hard to see in the pictures I sent, and it holds the mesh coil pretty tightly, which I probably moved when I tried to take it out.. albeit quite carefully, and now the mod is telling me to check atomizer. I'll just forward this to DotMod and try to find some old stock coils still in our country.