Locking the resistance query

Wayneo

...  including resistance lock, which is a massive thing if you use TC on stainless steel coils <-

was asked by @SmokeyX

I replied -> Actually it has NEVER been promoted or required with any DNA mod (unlike other brands). If your coil has been prepared properly (no hotspots, secured, solid 510) you should not need to ever lock the resistance.

@SmokeyX new comment -> That's interesting. Hasn't been my experience. On a variety of SS316 coils homemade and pre-made and including round wire, that are typically from 0.3 to 0.4 ohms, I've had problems with 'temp protected' coming up before i can take a second drag on three DNA boards (two 75Cs and my current 100C). Maybe it's because I vape at a really cool temp, 130C or so, and because stainless resistance rises relatively quickly. On all three boards, if I don't lock and I'm lucky enough to not get a 'temp protected' message, I am asked constantly if I'm using a new coil. If I lock the resistance at the beginning, that's never an issue. Any ideas about why this is happening? 

@SmokeyX

You'll need to do a few things. Just stick to 1 of your mods.
Plug in your mod, start escribe. Unlock the resistance and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Describe the coil. Spaced or contact, material.
Start Atomizer Analyzer and over the course of a minute tell me what it shows for the resistance. It will fluctuate. How much does it fluctuate, from what to what.
Using your mod, remeasure the resistance.
Start Device Monitor. On the left, click these checkboxes only.
Power, power set, temperature, temperature set, cold ohms, live ohms.

Take a puff or two, pause Device Monitor. Post screenshot of full screen (link in my signature line)

• Wayneo changed the title to Locking the resistance query
32 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

On a variety of SS316 coils homemade and pre-made and including round wire, that are typically from 0.3 to 0.4 ohms, I've had problems with 'temp protected' coming up before i can take a second drag on three DNA boards (two 75Cs and my current 100C). Maybe it's because I vape at a really cool temp, 130C or so, and because stainless resistance rises relatively quickly.

@SmokeyX Out of all the TC materials, SS904 and SS316 and rises the slowest. And 'temp protected' can come up from runaway ohms (which can easily be a build issue. Check your 510 positive on your atty is snug and your coil leads are under the hold down screws not squished to a side). What atty is this?

32 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

if I don't lock and I'm lucky enough to not get a 'temp protected' message, I am asked constantly if I'm using a new coil.

@SmokeyX And what do you answer?

On 3/24/2023 at 4:42 PM, Wayneo said:

@SmokeyX Out of all the TC materials, SS904 and SS316 and rises the slowest. And 'temp protected' can come up from runaway ohms (which can easily be a build issue. Check your 510 positive on your atty is snug and your coil leads are under the hold down screws not squished to a side). What atty is this?

@SmokeyX And what do you answer?

Thanks for the tips, but it's none of the usual suspects such as what you're describing. Has happened with various atties, though at the moment I'm mostly using a juggerknot mr. I always use 316L, fwiw. The resistance goes up from say 0.44 to 0.49, then back to the baseline when it's cool. I appreciate you trying to help!