Bad Charging IC on DNA 250

shehabismail

Hello,

This is to discuess the charging issues on the DNA 250 "Balanced" charging chipset. I owned 2 devices, the Rebel 167 and Vaporshark 250. Both of them DIED and the reason was the charging IC is fried. I went to a local repair shop where I live and they told me this is a common issue and the IC needs to be desoldered and a new one installed and they didnt have stock. I had to buy New boards. I see multiple users complaining about 0% battery here and CHECK BATTERY status and in Lipo case not charging at all. Why did EVOLV use this faulty chip?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the suggestion on my thread.

It seems a lot of 250 boards have this problem but most I read were solved by simply changing escribe's Mod Tab to 2-cell or 3-cell depending on how the MOD is configured. But I can not click the drop down to change that. It just won't let me change it. I Restored all setting etc and tried it in 3-cell etc but nothing. I started a RMA like you suggested.

Anyway, can we even buy those charging IC chips separately? And if so, do all those "spider leg" wires need to be individually soldered (in such a small space while avoiding bridging solder from one spot to another), or do they sort of fold in on the other side of the chip and need less solder points? I never soldered such a small thing but I have a micro solder gun and not much to loose if it goes wrong, the MOD I'm considering this for won't USB charge anymore (not the one in my thread I just got 2 weeks ago, a different DNA200 from 17 months ago, past warranty). It suddenly won't charge via USB. It may be due to extremely leaky non authentic TFV8 premade coils leaked like 10ml in a week on the mod I had to keep wiping it, then it stopped charging. I had plenty of leaks before this and it always charged but it was exceptionally leaky before it stopped charging.

Having said all that, I'm still sticking with DNA boards only. I like to charge USB and they're safe for that, and they have good warranty anyway.

Already tried that, and resetteted current limit, tried everything but it was dead. changing it however this IC did fix 1 board but i still have 2 dead ones as seen on my pictures. This IC is very rare and i found it on the repair shop  i visited. This shop is vape specific repair shop and they did the desolder and resolder themselves so i am unsure how they did it.

Edited by shehabismail
  • Sad 1

my RMA got approved so that's good. I wanted evolve to fix it too, not Fasttech to send me a replacement possibly from the same batch, so that's good too I went direct to evolve.

too bad you can't find that charging circuit separately but it makes sense for most people to just get a brand new 250 board I see on ebay for only $60 shipped vs possibly making it unsafe with amateur micro soldering. 

Maybe my DNA200 stopped working because of leaky non authentic tfv8 coils I mentioned. This is why I don't buy any tanks really that don't have juice flow control. I've watched enough RTA reviews that I know even the most advanced builders and reviewers get leaks sometimes. I tried all variations of wicking (thick packed/thin fluffed etc) and still get leaks with 100VG, so I just get juice control tanks now (or using an RDA with my new DNA mods until my new tanks order arrives soon).

Evolv is still the best. Only thing maybe is if they could add a custom power curve in  escribe like I think the Yihi chips have to give a sort of preheat punch to kanthal. Should probably only take evolve a couple days to add that programming, but maybe there's a way to do it already, or I should just be using SS coils anyway, thing is I really don't know much about all that though to say it's something that's missing because I'm sure they'd know of it and add it in an upgrade. Another thing that would be good would be a 'what's this?" link in escribe next to certain parameters like Mod tab 'Wh'. Most people don't know what that even means or what to set it as. There are tutorials videos though.

take care.  

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, vapesmooth234 said:

thanks for the suggestion on my thread.

It seems a lot of 250 boards have this problem but most I read were solved by simply changing escribe's Mod Tab to 2-cell or 3-cell depending on how the MOD is configured. But I can not click the drop down to change that. It just won't let me change it. I Restored all setting etc and tried it in 3-cell etc but nothing. I started a RMA like you suggested.

Anyway, can we even buy those charging IC chips separately? And if so, do all those "spider leg" wires need to be individually soldered (in such a small space while avoiding bridging solder from one spot to another), or do they sort of fold in on the other side of the chip and need less solder points? I never soldered such a small thing but I have a micro solder gun and not much to loose if it goes wrong, the MOD I'm considering this for won't USB charge anymore (not the one in my thread I just got 2 weeks ago, a different DNA200 from 17 months ago, past warranty). It suddenly won't charge via USB. It may be due to extremely leaky non authentic TFV8 premade coils leaked like 10ml in a week on the mod I had to keep wiping it, then it stopped charging. I had plenty of leaks before this and it always charged but it was exceptionally leaky before it stopped charging.

Having said all that, I'm still sticking with DNA boards only. I like to charge USB and they're safe for that, and they have good warranty anyway.

did you check and make your on escribe if you haven't selected auto detect because that would correct it for you before you could actually reboot it just saying make sure under options 

• 5 years later...