Drunk at a bar... idea.

Havoc340

With the new temp control stuff, i had a potentially game changing idea. Constant temp monitoring. This could be relevant in an auto puff situation. Most mods are kept in pocket or in hand. So I'd venture to say that they are typically above room temp. So a hard pull should drop the temp of the coil abruptly. Especially if the mod is warmed up or has been used recently. Then after sensing temp drop, the mod fires until the temp senses an abrupt temp increase (the end of the pull). Auto firing may be an issue walking outside into the cold, but it should be very brief as he shutdown sequence should initiate pretty quickly. Its just an idea. Not sure of the sensitivity of the coil at room temp, or the kind of resolution you have available in that area but if made to work it would be a game changer.

We actually played with this! 

What we were thinking of doing is having a button press "light" the ecig, holding it at 120 degrees or so. Then look for the temperature drop when you draw on it.

The only problem is it draws nontrivial power the whole time it is sitting in what I called the "smoulder" state and is uncomfortably warm. Preheat comes to temperature really quickly though, so we dropped this idea. We were mostly using it to come to temperature faster.

Trying to do it off ambient temperature wouldn't be reliable, because if the air is 70 degrees and the mod is 70 degrees, you can pull air across it all day and not change the temperature. (well, you could set it up to cool with clever use of fluid mechanics, but you don't want to draw that hard)

John said:

We actually played with this! 

What we were thinking of doing is having a button press "light" the ecig, holding it at 120 degrees or so. Then look for the temperature drop when you draw on it.

The only problem is it draws nontrivial power the whole time it is sitting in what I called the "smoulder" state and is uncomfortably warm. Preheat comes to temperature really quickly though, so we dropped this idea. We were mostly using it to come to temperature faster.

Trying to do it off ambient temperature wouldn't be reliable, because if the air is 70 degrees and the mod is 70 degrees, you can pull air across it all day and not change the temperature. (well, you could set it up to cool with clever use of fluid mechanics, but you don't want to draw that hard)

Great minds think alike. You could reduce the temp to 90, or 20 deg over Ambient. This way it's not uncomfortable. Also have it be an unlockable profile through escribe. This way you could just turn it on and off by switching profiles on the go. Either way it's cool you've already went down that road.