2 wierd issues

turbocad6

ok, so I finally got my dna200 squeezed into a bottom feeder and overall it's working great but I have had 2 issues when I first got it up and running. the first is that with no atty attached it showed shorted, then I attached an atty and it still showed shorted, then it sat a bit and I poked at the fire switch here and there, then all of a sudden it showed check atomizer instead of shorted, so I screwed an atty on and it worked fine... after a few hours vaping it on and off all of a sudden it showed shorted again... I pulsed the button several times and after a bunch of clicks all of a sudden it read the atty correct again and fired fine. it's been working fine since...

now I know that the atty wiring itself and 510 is not shorted and never was. I have the chip in a cradle and it's bolted down and there is no chance of movement or anything that could possibly cause a short between ground and atty out, but it did this a few times now sporadically and then resolved itself so I just figured I'd ask here to see if any ideas on this one... it's been fine for the past day & 1/2 though. atty always reads solid stable and in atty checker my connection is rock solid and always stable, always returns to the same value, no anomalies there at all but I was never able to actually connect it to escribe while the issue of shorted presented itself, if it happens again that's the first thing I'll do but it hasn't happened again

second kinda strange thing was, in device monitor I was monitoring all 3 cells and at some point when I was firing the mod, the 1st cell voltage would go up, the 3rd cell voltage would go down and the 2nd cell stayed about the same with a very slight drop while firing. then a different time it displayed correctly with all 3 cells dropping the same and following each other, but then again at another point it did the same thing showing the 1st cell going up and the third dropping while firing. any thoughts on this? I honestly can't tell you what version firmware I'm on at the moment but it's def from july, haven't updated to the latest yet.

neither of these things are persistent problems and right now everything is fine, just these 2 things got me wondering enough to at least mention and ask here about them :)     

I had the shorted problem a few times but I would check my coil once I had it, even though everything all looked good gave them a tap and all was good again. I always found it was after the device had been too sleep, since using 8/5 firmware I haven't had it.. I hope someone can come to a conclusion for you about this.

• 3 weeks later...

this is strange, I haven't had the shorted msg in a long time but just now after device sleeping I picked up the device and it showed shorted again, unscrewed the atty, same shorted msg so I retightened the atty and pulsed fired it several times and again, just like before, it showed shorted and shorted and then eventually just goes away and everything is back to normal, still showing a rock solid .07 as it was before this happened, now it's working fine as if it never happened.  

turbocad6 said:

this is strange, I haven't had the shorted msg in a long time but just now after device sleeping I picked up the device and it showed shorted again, unscrewed the atty, same shorted msg so I retightened the atty and pulsed fired it several times and again, just like before, it showed shorted and shorted and then eventually just goes away and everything is back to normal, still showing a rock solid .07 as it was before this happened, now it's working fine as if it never happened.  

Just a thought, wondering if you can watch the live resistance (ohm's) reading in Device Monitor when you get the shorted message? I'd be tempted to leave a usb cable connected to it, then the next time you let it set, fire up Device Monitor before you pick it up to use it and watch the reading and see what it does. My thought was, if there is a resistance change, could it be related to movement or temperature, if you can watch the live resistance when it's acting up that may steer you where to look for a problem. If your going to graph the reading make sure you set the graph time scale low otherwise a quick change might be missed.

thanks for the thoughts willy, the only time I seen this problem was on day 1 of my build and at that point I was of the same mindset, be ready with a cable and escribe if it happens again, but then it worked fine for weeks with no sign of anything so when it happened again I wasn't ready, by the time I even thought about it the problem cleared itself again.

honestly I don't think anything is shorted and never was though. except for these 2 anomalies it's been performing absolutely perfect, rock solid in atty analyzer and the fact that it just clears itself with a few button presses and nothing else, leads me to believe it's not actually shorted. don't know what the absolute lowest it would read before shorting is though, for example if .07 is the threshold and .06 would show as shorted, that may very well be my problem, maybe I'm hovering too low, but even that wouldn't make sense because even if I unscrew that atty it still shows shorted instead of check atomizer

at this point it's just a weird anomaly at best, can't lay a finger on what's actually going on but if it happens again I won't even fire it until I can get to escribe