Dead Vaporshark

SteveAdams86

I have a vaporshark which now wont work, no screen, wont charge, wont fire or do anything apart from light the blue led behind the fire button when pressed. I updated my escribe version to the latest one from the early releases thread and then went to flash the firmware from the 30/9/15. It is now completely dead and I figured I would ask here before starting emailing vaporshark and I live in the UK so a warrenty return would be lengthy. If it makes any difference what so ever I used a virtual machine to use escribe on. Help please

I bricked one once using a virtual machine, but was able to get it back up by using a PC.  The Mac thread has some bits of the tail.  My fix was to connect it to a windows computer, boot with the bricked device connected then launch escribe, which allowed a firmware update manually.  That said, my issue was that I had bricked it with a failed update (virtual machine disconnected from the USB during the write).  Your issue is described as not related to the update, but if it is, give it a shot.

I do have another windows pc i can try to see if it will fix it but its a work and i cant access till  tomorrow.  I recall you saying you had something similar happen but i couldnt remember the exact thread.

intrestingly my virtual machine will still detect the chip, and the blue led gives me hope its not completely dead. My laptop sees the chip as PDJWBYRMCGLC[101] rather than dimensions enginiering

That is exactly my issue.  A windows system fixed it.

I loaded escribe on the windows box, connected the device and rebooted the launched escribe.  It was able to do the flash and I have since flashed it with VirtualBox since...AND...they have increased the USB timeout to prevent EEPROM bricking.  Good luck.

I'll try it tomorrow when i get to work there isnt much more I can do here, no matter what i do I cant get escribe to detect the chip properly on my laptop. The very reason I was using the early release software because I recall it being mentioned about the longer time out times to help prevent this sort of thing happening in the first place. Il link to this thread in the early release so James can see if theres anything he might be able to do as there was a release today which I had updated to, worth a shot. 

This thread can be closed, my issue is solved thanks to James advice.

Quote, SteveAdams, your device is in bootloader failsafe mode. Let the virtual machine see that device with the serial number. Then go to Tools->Update Firmware and select the firmware manually. In failsafe mode, it can't be connected to but it can be updated using the Update Firmware menu option