Dual 18650 @ 200w possibility

bankin818

bankin818 said:

Hi,

I am wondering why the chip does not go up to 200w on dual 18650 when other products on the market can reach that high.

Because evolv are putting safety first and two 18650s will not power 200w without a big risk of venting.. Other companies either don't care and just want too make money or their mods are not putting out true 200w..

Because it is a step down regulator that was designed to use the voltage from 3 Li cell. min 9 V and has max input current of 23 A you would need at least 9 V for 200 W.

There are no 18650s that can safely provide 200 W you would need 206 W from the batteries or 103 W from each and at 3.5 V that is 30 A, but an freshly charged 18650 would drop to to 3.5 V under load or below (a quick look showed a VTC5 dropping to 3.7 V at about 20 A) so they just don't have the continuous power for that kind of wattage in any mod for more than one or two puffs.  These figures are for 97% efficiency of the DNA200 a step-up converter would need even more power from the battery.

Going over a cell's continuous rating with pulsed vaping loads will not cause it to vent, assuming we're only talking about high quality NCM hybrid cells here. Cells like the Sony VTC4/VTC5, Samsung 25R/25R5, LG HE2/HE4, etc are torture tested by their respective companies. Take this shot of Samsung's high pulse cycle life test for the 25R from the datasheet. You're going to hit the board voltage cutoff long before any risk of venting.[NsRHgrv] Note however that I'm not arguing Evolv should allow 2 cell configurations to run at 200W, nor that it's a good idea to do so with any device. Just pointing out that it's entirely possible to do so within a reasonable safety margin (but not the rock solid margin expected of Evolv products). They can't account for people using garbage re-wrapped cells, or otherwise screwing around and getting themselves hurt. 

There's also the simple hardware explanation. The board is designed to take 20A continuous input current, and has a 25A fuse on-board. It simply can't take enough current to output 200W in a 2S config.

• 1 month later...

Well yes but no a lot of things look good on paper . Ipv3 set at 200 watts .5 dual Clapton . Mutation RTA tank say 7.volts now chain vape it no problem .same RTA same build IPV4S set to 90 watts still showing 7 volts way to hot to chain vape for me volts times amps = watts . So I checked it 7v ×14 Amps = 98 watts now it seems most .boards I have seen That are good quality and safe .are very good at motoring voltage spikes and adjust amps to protect the MOD and make it a safe device then you have a few other things taking place the board will adjust to keep volts from dropping how by cutting back on amps that's why we get a check battery and the mod will not fire till the battery is recharge So with all that most boards will not fire the battery or batteries any were near battery draw chart the voltage drop is to much .then there are folks out there that would be amazed at what they are really running for watts that's just my take on the hole thing I am really looking forward to my opus getting here and having my first mod made in the USA I have a .8 build I really like at 26 watts 4.73 volts at 5.92 amps