Board died while charging

hawk256

Had an Hcigar VT75 die while charging the other day. Since there was another charging issue posted here, I thought I would add my story as well. I put my VT75 on charge the other day and let it be for a few hours while I was in the room doing other things. When I tried to use the mod after charging, I was getting a "Too Hot" error. The device was cool to the touch so I took the battery out and didn't feel any heat there either. Put the battery back in and was still getting the "Too Hot" error. Hooked up to Escribe and device monitor was showing the board temp at 212F. Impossible at this point, so I tried to hard reboot the device and it would not respond to any commands. I can read the board as long as there is a battery in the mod but I can not write to it. If I try to connect the board to Escribe without a battery it just goes off and on non-stop. The battery in the mod at the time was an Efest green 26650. 

welcome to the forum hawk256. do you still have the option of returning the device in for warranty? maybe contact the vendor you purchased the mod from and go from there. last option is to open a help with Evolv from their webpage. just know, they might ask you to send in just the board and not the whole mod, requiring you to de-solder the board.

Lucky for me this happened on the 29th day I had the mod, so I am able to return it to the vendor. I already have an RMA, I just need to ship it out. The main reason I posted this was because I saw the other post about charging issues. 2 mods that mess up while charging is not Samsung type problems but I would rather have the board fail at any other time. Also, Evolv  boards are not doing too well for me. I have 2 DNA200 devices, one of those failed and 2 DNA75 devices , one has now failed. That's a 50% failure rate from my experiences. I hope the DNA250 I have on the way doesn't carry on the tradition.

it's strange to say the least about all these DNA boards dying you. all i use are DNA devices. i did have a couple VS DNA 200 boards die on me but VS's customer service is excellent. they replaced the faulty boards quickly. a lot of the times the DNA board is damaged during the manufacturing process, on the mod maker's end, not evolv's. stick it out. there great boards.....

I don't mean to slam Evolv over this. They are great boards for the most part and are the only regulated mods that I use. With that said, I can only state my experience and situations that I know about first hand. A good friend had 4 DNA200 mods and over the course of a year, 3 of them died. In the end, yes they were repaired under warranty but 3 out of 4 for him and 2 out 4 for me, not a great trend.

It could be something the manufacturers are doing, all of these were mass produced mods but the Evolv brand is prominent in the marketing and is what is selling these mods. As far as the problem, the best example I can give would be an Intel motherboard and chipset dying across multiple manufacturers computers. Intel can say the manufacturers are doing something wrong and then the manufacturers will say "We don't have problems with our computers with AMD boards."

I'm taken care of in this instance by the vendor. The DNA200 went to a third party that I am assuming was taken care of by either Evolv or the manufacturer. So the problem is not with customer service. The best customer service, however, is never needing it.