DNA 75 Questions

Going to be doing my first build after Christmas and I have a couple of questions about the DNA 75

1. Can I remove the on broad buttons???

I have seen people do it for other DNA chips but not the DNA 75 so I'm a bit confused. I want to remove them and not have anything there because I will be the other pins for the three buttons.

2. Can I relocate the USB to another place???

Kind of the same question as before. I would buy a Micro USB board to solder to.

3. Will 18 gauge wire work better then 20 gauge wire???

Seen a lot of people using 20 gauge wire but the data sheet said 18 gauge is recommended.

4. What glue should I use if I need to glue something to the enclosure???

I'm going to be using ABS for my first mod box just to make everything easier and to save money.

5. Any tips for a first time modder???

I'm someone who is good with his hands so I think the build should go smoothly. Just wanted to know if there is any tips or things that I might do wrong the first.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out.

I would just unclip the top section of the buttons if I were you.

Relocating the USB would be very difficult to cleanly remove the existing one without damaging the circuit tracks, only you can know if your de-soldering skills are up to it.

I stick to the recommended gauge, it depends on the power you run at and the length of the wires so ther is no one right answer.

It is very important to stick to Evolv approved adhesive, see post 2 https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65815-topic/

Take your time, solder quickly (more heat and less time is better than the opposite), tin both the pad and the wire then just a quick reflow to connect them, practice soldering the thick wire before hand, bend the thick wire before soldering to the board as if it wicks up solder and gets stiff you can pull the pad off, don't bend the screen cable right next to the glass and don't forget to put the 510 nut/clip, insulator etc on the wire before soldering the 2nd end.

• 2 months later...
VapingBad said:

1. Can I remove the on (board) buttons???

I have seen people do it for other DNA chips but not the DNA 75 so I'm a bit confused. I want to remove them and not have anything there because I will be the other pins for the three buttons.

The short answer is: yes.

The long answer is that you should only perform this IF you truly NEED to, and that there will be a requirement to bridge 2 of the (four) contacts on the now removed "down" button on the board itself.  This means creating a small micro-wire contact that you'll need to solder to those two terminals.