Therion 166 TC not working properly after changing out batteries

Milkbread

Hi everyone, I just hopped on the DNA bandwagon recently and am having a slight issue with my Therion 166.

After I have set up everything, TC works great with SS316L. However, I have noticed that when I change out my batteries to a new set, the temp control becomes unlocked and my vape in TC seems totally different as compared to just before changing out the batteries. 

When I just touch the power button, the temp display usually shows <100F or just slightly more than 100F. After changing out the batteries, the instant I touch the power button, the temp display is 200+F. Very weird.

For my usual vape, it takes only 2 seconds to reach 400F, now it takes about 3.5 seconds.

I have tried a hard reboot, and re-uploading the device settings, but it is still wonky.

Does changing out batteries to charge in an external charger cause such an issue? 
I'm using version 1.2 SP5.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

After chain vaping for more than 10 hits, I have noticed that it is only the temp reading on device monitor that is not the same prior to changing out fresh batteries. I changed it out when it had 50% left, so it's not a battery sag issue.
I feel that I am still getting almost the same vape experience, just that right after changing the batteries the vape was cold. I had to unscrew the tank and make the mod register a new coil before it could work normally.

If anyone's interested, I'm using the following:
OBS engine nano
SS316 26awg x2 twisted 3mm ID 9 wraps spaced
coil ohms 0.36 (ohms unlocked)
Djaquith's SS316 v3.5 profile
70W preheat, 5 punch @ 1 sec, 40W power
Temp set at 400F

Edit 1: So after chain vaping, my tank is nearly empty. I topped it up and I found something more interesting. The vape became warmer even though device monitor is only showing the temp at 330F peak. 
After another 10 or so 2 seconds hits, it's back to the same old vape experience. Very interesting. Considering that the OBS engine nano doesn't use a pressurized filling, it is interesting that the cotton is cooling the coil so much right after filling.

Edit 2: After another 10 hits or so of chain vaping, everything showing on device monitor is back to normal, like before I changed my batteries. I guess that this is the power of the DNA coil refinement?

TLDR: My only issue right now is the high temp reading immediately after changing out batteries, resulting in a cold vape which doesn't seem normal.

I hope someone can help shed some light on this. Many thanks in advance!

When removing the batteries, the board will lose the ohms/refinement settings that are in it, causing some strange behaviors..either let the device set for a bit for refinement to do its thing...OR...try plugging in a USB charge cable prior to changing the batteries...

Thanks for the reply! I'll try keeping the USB connected prior to changing batteries. However, I now noticed something which I thought was fixed when I did a hard reboot earlier today. I am experiencing the same issue of momentary fire and temp display shows 200+F when cold. This is when the device goes into standby and wakes up from it. Since my last post, I have left the tank/mod untouched. Just vaped it and totally cold again. Had to do the new coil thing again to get it to work. What's wrong with the dna250?

Milkbread said:

Thanks for the reply! I'll try keeping the USB connected prior to changing batteries. However, I now noticed something which I thought was fixed when I did a hard reboot earlier today. I am experiencing the same issue of momentary fire and temp display shows 200+F when cold. This is when the device goes into standby and wakes up from it. Since my last post, I have left the tank/mod untouched. Just vaped it and totally cold again. Had to do the new coil thing again to get it to work. What's wrong with the dna250?

just about every symptom you mention you're having is most likely do to a poor connection somewhere (unwanted added resistance), coil hot spots, shorts, poor atty for TC capabilities or an incorrect mod resistance setting. don't forget, SS 316 has the lowest TCR of all the wires we use for vaping. a tiny change in base resistance (even 1-2 milliohms), due to wonky connection somewhere, with SS will create a noticeable difference in temp. take notice of your base res on either your device or in EScribe's atty analyzer, once when the atty is first installed and again after letting it sit idle for about 25 min (after refinement has had a chance to lower your res). post your findings.

Thanks for the advise. As my current build has been used for about 3 days, I'm rebuilding it identically and will report the results.

I'll also run a check on the OBS Engine Nano on TC for more info if people are experiencing wonky connections. I'm starting to think it might be this tank itself. Currently have it sitting with just the deck and coil on the mod, and I have already seen the atomizer analyzer fluctuate from 0.391 to 0.398. Everything is dead tight. 

Here's hoping refinement can work it's magic and reduce the fluctuations?

Does refinement work all the time, as in always refining as long as the tank is connected?
Even when in sleep/standby mode?

After leaving it for an hour or so on atomizer analyzer, the raw ohms reading is more or less steady at 0.400, with very slight fluctuations to 0.398, 0.399 and 0.401. Most of the 1 sec polls are dead at 0.400.

I am curious as to why the cold ohms read as 0.37 when raw ohms is showing 0.40, especially when the coil and mod is cold. The mod is also displaying 0.37 ohms.
I also tried disconnecting for 30 minutes, and then reconnected atomizer analyzer. It is still showing 0.37 cold ohms and 0.40 raw ohms. The mod is still displaying 0.37 ohms.

Naturally I felt that this was something wrong off, and I tried overriding the ohms. I set it at 0.40 ohms, and then unlocked it. Single pulse on the fire button and now the mod is showing 0.40 ohms.
Ran atomizer analyzer again and now the cold ohms is 0.40 ohms, but the raw ohms has dropped to 0.395 ohms. This is interesting.
After closing atomizer analyzer and waiting 10 minutes for the coil to cool, the moment I open atomizer analyzer I get 0.390 ohms. I have set this for raw ohms and shall try vaping.

So far the vape feeling is back to how I set it. Will report back again.

Milkbread said:

I am curious as to why the cold ohms read as 0.37 when raw ohms is showing 0.40, especially when the coil and mod is cold. The mod is also displaying 0.37 ohms.
I also tried disconnecting for 30 minutes, and then reconnected atomizer analyzer. It is still showing 0.37 cold ohms and 0.40 raw ohms. The mod is still displaying 0.37 ohms.

The difference between the cold ohms (coil) & raw ohms is..the cold ohms plus the internal resistance of the mod...perfectly normal... Have you set the mod resistance in the 'Mod' tab & run the case analyzer yet? Because, as CB stated, of the nature of SS wire, all the settings have to be set properly...a slight difference in ohms (1 - 2 milliohms) can make a big difference....judging by your cold & raw ohms, the Mod resistance is around .003

Milkbread said:

Tried using the puff function on device monitor for 2 seconds, 4 hits from cold.
Looks like the performance is back to par, not even hitting my set temp of 400F.
Live ohms are looking good as well.

Looks like the reason you are not hitting your set temp is because you have your watts set at 40w, which is limiting the mod to 40w & it can't reach your set temp of 400F...try raising the 'Power' setting in that profile until it reaches temp...

giz_60 said:

The difference between the cold ohms (coil) & raw ohms is..the cold ohms plus the internal resistance of the mod...perfectly normal... Have you set the mod resistance in the 'Mod' tab & run the case analyzer yet? Because, as CB stated, of the nature of SS wire, all the settings have to be set properly...a slight difference in ohms (1 - 2 milliohms) can make a big difference....judging by your cold & raw ohms, the Mod resistance is around .003

Looks like the reason you are not hitting your set temp is because you have your watts set at 40w, which is limiting the mod to 40w & it can't reach your set temp of 400F...try raising the 'Power' setting in that profile until it reaches temp...

I read an old thread about mod resistance and James suggested using the thickest copper wire possible and short the atomizer and get a reading from atomizer analyzer. I did that and the reading was 0.010 ohms. I took 80% of that and set 0.008 ohms under mod resistance. Would setting it based on the cold and raw resistance be more accurate?

I ran case analyzer yesterday, and it didn't seem to do anything at all. Nothing was generated, and the thermal values for my case remained the same. I have no idea what is the expected outcome of it. I will run it again later when my batteries are lower.

Yes I have increased it to 50W and it's hitting the set temp now.

Milkbread said:

I read an old thread about mod resistance and James suggested using the thickest copper wire possible and short the atomizer and get a reading from atomizer analyzer. I did that and the reading was 0.010 ohms. I took 80% of that and set 0.008 ohms under mod resistance. Would setting it based on the cold and raw resistance be more accurate?.

Yes, you can read this post about it, starting at about post #72....https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65594-topic/

Milkbread said:

I ran case analyzer yesterday, and it didn't seem to do anything at all. Nothing was generated, and the thermal values for my case remained the same. I have no idea what is the expected outcome of it. I will run it again later when my batteries are lower.

For some reason, case analyzer didn't finish...I have found it best to walk away from the computer or leave it alone until the analyzer finishes because sometimes browsing, etc, will cause the USB connection to disconnect and of course, make sure batteries are at least 50% drained...test will take a few hours (I usually start the test, then go to bed)...your results should look something like this, but the values will be unique to your device...

Case Thermals.png 

Giz Method Mod Calibration.docx

Thank you Chunkybutt and Giz for your help. It has really helped to stabilize my SS TC vaping experience!

Looks like i'll have to run case analyzer a 3rd time when batteries are low. It crashed and reported a microsoft.net error when I was doing some work during the case cooldown after charging. 

By the way, are those thermal values automatically propagated or do I have to input them myself?