DNA 250 (Triade) - Displayed Charging Info Incorrect?

ICOFUS

Cheers all - Back for round two.  About two months ago, I posted about my Triade DNA 250 never getting above 0.58A.  Ran a train of chargers and wall warts on it with no difference in charge rates displayed, and being a device acquired 3rd party and no experience wiring/reassembling the board, looks like I may be out the warranty and will have questionable results with sending the board to Evolv for review.

So, trying anything further I can to fix it before deciding next steps, I picked up a USB tester.  I have it plugged in a dedicated charging port for a laptop dock rated at 5V/2A, showing 5.07V from the dock.  Also picked up three fresh VTC6's.  Plugged it in and got the same results; 0.57-0.58A.

However, the USB tester is reading 4.86V/1.27-1.30A(fluctuating between) while the board screen is reading 4.56V/0.57A.  Tried a few other charging systems

• 5V/1.2A wall wart read 5.06V no load - 4.89V/1.29A load
  • 5V/2A wall wart read ~5.3V no load - 5.18V/2.32A load
Each rang in about the same at the DNA...~4.54-4.56V, 0.53-0.58A, 2.55-2.57W.  

Any thoughts on the discrepancies?  I have seen other users report similar issues where one DNA 250 displays ~2A and another will not exceed 0.**.  Seems the reader is accurate, but no idea what to make of the 0.30V/~0.7A differences between the meter and board figures.  

Escribe shot attached; the drop and steps up in USB Current were from manually setting max amp to 0.35, 0.5, and 1.0A.  

IMG_20170329_142505.jpg  
Set to 0.35A.jpg

Taken after setting the max current in escribe to 0.5A

0.5A Results.jpg 

Saving 1.jpg

0.35A Results.jpg

IMG_20170324_121451.jpg

Here is a screenshot from my Triade simulating the settings you used...  .35   .50   and then reset the current limit (only pulling .6x amps from computer)...you will notice the difference from yours...nice smooth, gradual rise & fall of the graph compared to yours...quick sawing up & down...both on the USB voltage & amps...hope this helps you out...

Triade Charge.png 

Thanks for the response!  So that segues to the next question: what are some potential causes of the sawing?  New to the set of issues...sudden surges in amps and drops in voltage displayed below.  Maybe something going on in the charging circuit?  

Saws & Spikes.jpg 

ICOFUS said:

Thanks for the response!  So that segues to the next question: what are some potential causes of the sawing?  New to the set of issues...sudden surges in amps and drops in voltage displayed below.  Maybe something going on in the charging circuit?  

Saws & Spikes.jpg 

just a side note, when you notice the usb current drop and usb voltage rise for a split second during charging, that is the charge cycle halting so refinement can read the resistance and make necessary adjustments.

another side note, the usb voltage will always be higher at the usb meter than at the mod. this normal voltage drop through the usb cable. as to why your board will not charge at 2a, if you've tried good usb cable/chargers and still no joy, do what what Giz suggests and contact evolv.