Not so straight forward, Vape Cige Nano 80 swap!

Podunk Steam

I was lead to believe this would be a straight forward swap from the garbage 80 watt board the mod came with that wouldn't even adjust wattage in TC mods, not so much really.

I complicated the swap a little by 86ing the Vape Cige 510 that looked pretty questionable, may hear of them failing up in here soon. 24mm is just a hair too wide on the sides of the mod so I used a 22mm 510 with a copper center pin. 

The greater of the challenge is in the actuators for the buttons, in the 80 they protrude on the back side, in the 60 the up and down bar is just about flat while the fire button is recessed on the back side for the micro switches body as well as the stem. Wouldn't be an easy task with rotary tools, files and such! 

Circuit board location isn't all that easy, UV glue can be your friend there, the display does have a good recessed area to seat into where again the UV glue came in handy.

I wasn't rushing it and spent about 4 hours with the swap. It's a tight little unit now, not a hint of button rattle, USB is seated well and does what is should.

Only a few pics to share, one of the - wire reroute because of the 510s locking nut and the other just showing the exterior.

wire reroute

Exterior

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I found I made a mistake, there was a recess deeper in the plastic part for the circuit board although the board didn't want to be fitted into it.  A cheesy screw snapped off in one of the zinc alloy posts so before I waste too much time with this I'm going to a Hanas V4 with the trap door, tapped screws in Cisco 510, housing the 60 and potentially a 20650 battery. 

Edited by Podunk Steam
typographical error