SS in TC mode - my experiences

dl12345

I've been vaping SS coils in TC mode exclusively for the last two years or so. I've tried pretty much every wire on the market: SS316, SS316L, SS317L, SS304 and SS430. I've tried spaced and non-spaced coils as well and until a few months ago my best results were coming from SS304 spaced coils. The SS304 profile works pretty well and I find the wire itself quite resilient. It doesn't tarnish in the same way as the SS316 and gives me better results (surprisingly) than SS430, which is much harder to work with.

I'd previously tried claptons (non-spaced) in TC mode and had a particularly poor result. I usually find I need to replace my single wire coil every 6 or 7 days. Note that I don't dry burn my coils - I clean them with a toothbrush and diswashing liquid, which dislodges most of the gunk.

A few months ago I decided I would try claptons again. This time I thought I would make my own clapton wire, which I did. I used a 27AWG SS304 core and a 32AWG SS430 wrap. I then made spaced clapton coils, about 4 and a half wraps, giving me somewhere around .25 ohms in a dual coil atomizer. I've been using them in my Geekvape Peerless RDTA. Of course I needed to bump up the pre-heat and power significantly for the claptons. I'm running a 100w preheat with punch of 10 for 2 secs for and power is 55w. Once it gets up to the correct temperature, escribe shows that the mod pushes about 25w through constantly, although I needed the higher power settings to get up to operating temperature quickly enough.

I've been getting a really nice vape from this (using a standard SS304 profile) and the bonus is that my coil just seems to last forever. I still have the same coils in my Peerless RDTA that I put in just over a month ago. I change my cotton every 3 days or so and a quick scrub with the toothbrush and the coil is clean and ready to go another round. It really beats having to replace coils every six days or so, and making the wire itself is a fairly quick job.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Although I'm a bit late to the party... seems like I'm the only guest. Switched to SS not that long ago (about two months), I've only been using 316l so far. Using Claptons (24 AWG (0.68mm x 0.3mm) Central Wire & 32 AWG Outside Wrap), I found them building up quite some heat and taking much longer to cool down. Tried them in my Cheetah II and Medusa Reborn, and especially the Cheetah gets pretty hot - a heat that transfers to the mod quickly. I'm using spaced coils of round wire (25-26G) so I can avoid glowing them looking for hotspots, and actually I enjoy experimenting with # of wraps, tightness of wicking and all that. Found a quite interesting approach to building (especially wicking!!) in the vlog of Morten Oen on YouTube, shedding some new light on airflow and how that actually works (contrary to what's to be found on most other channels). However, got the Zeus RTA today and tried some builds. Due to the way the posts (single coil) are placed, one has to put some rather large coils in there so I ended up with ten wraps of 25G SS316l with an ID of 3.5mm that came out as .77 Ohms. Less wraps would require larger spacing, which resulted in pronounced spit back. This is actually the first time I have that many wraps and such high Ohms - surprisingly (to me) this gives a very satisfying vape at just 35 Watts (no TC this time!). Surprisingly, as the vapor is dense, warm and has lots of flavor, and it's the temperature that's different here. In TC I usually have my temp setting at 250°C give and take, and the vape is rather cold compared to what I have now with the Zeus. Using the SMOK Alien, as my VT75c is used for battery testing right now, I use it in wattage mode (TC is not too reliable), and the nice thing is that this coil heats up quickly (no pronounced pre-heat, called 'normal' strength by SMOK) and doesn't stay hot as longs as a Clapton would. I think about trying some flat ribbon (inspired by Morten Oen). Out of curiosity, why did you choose SS430 as wrapping material? Thanks for sharing your findings!