When charge the battery with the LTC4054, the chip is hot?

lengfeng

I made a trolley car, and used chip LTC4054 to charge the 3.7-volt lithium battery.
Before I used the phone lithium battery while debugging, and charging had been no exception. 
After connected to the motor,the moment the motor started,the battery was under protection. So I bought a 20C discharge lithium battery in Taobao, and then the motor can be started.But I found that the chip was hot within two seconds when charging. 
I was worried about that and now no longer dare to charge. How should I do? Is the battery problem? I also tried with the 18650 battery and it can also drive the motor, as well as charging is normal.
Please give guidance.Thanks!

IMG_20170917_075604.jpg.thumb.jpg

is this charging IC  "TSOT 23" outline? do you have it mounted on a PCB with enough copper to dissipate the heat (GND plane, decent sized copper traces, thermal pad)? or are you "dead bugging" the IC? being this linear charger is only 150 mA, this charger is meant for very small capacity cells, not the fastest / best for large lipos or 18650's. post a picture of your setup, a good quality photo. the cells you're using as well. (through a private message)

LTC4054>>>

Maximum Junction Temperature .......................... 125°C (max temperature the die can handle before failing from overheating)

Operating Temperature Range (Note 2)....–40°C to 85°C (as long as you're not over 85c, you'll be OK)

if i were you i would look into something else, maybe  a different charging IC? I use the TP4056 charging IC. you can even buy complete TP4056 charging PCB's for very cheap. 

https://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Prototyping/TP4056.pr

@lengfeng this is a forum for people who have questions about their Evolv products, not for general electronics questions. please private message me your response to this post, if you want to, rather than posting here. i will try and help you that way.

• Like 1