Screen flashing when connected to USB (no battery or PSU connected)

Hey guys

I just got my screen attached and the board USB connected to the PC.  And customised my start screen, of course :)

All looking fine, except for one odd thing.  The main screen of the device - showing ohms, volts, temp and 8.5W - is constantly flashing.  Perhaps twice a second, very regular.

Other screens are not flashing - eg the welcome screen, and the UPLOAD SETTINGS screen.  The up/down buttons work as expected.  Settings download/upload works fine.

Given it's not all screens flashing, I'm thinking maybe this is expected behaviour - perhaps the flashing is meant to indicate that no power source is connected?

I just wanted to check as I'll hopefully be soldering it all tomorrow so better to know sooner or later in the (very) unlikely event this is any issue.

Thanks!

Tom / TheBloke

Thanks.  

Will it go away when a PSU is connected?

I was asking in another thread if I could use the PSU without attaching the balance connector at all, and was told I could as long as I set it to Power Supply in EScribe.

Or is it the case that I technically can, but I'm going to get flashing screen the whole time unless I have a balance connector?  And therefore I have to do this three-resistor divider thing to pass a fake input to the balance connector?  

OK awesome John thanks.  To be clear I have selected Power Supply in EScribe (and uploaded), but I don't actually have a PSU connected yet - so perhaps it will stop when I do?  Or should just PSU mode alone in EScribe be enough?

Anyway I should have it wired to PSU some time tomorrow so I'll update then, either way.

Thanks again!

I can confirm that if powered by a non LiPo 12v battery or by a PSU and selecting power supply mode in the Escribe settings I'm still getting the flashing screen behaviour. Apart from the screen flashing, the board is fully working, fires a kanthol / NI200 build. Also seems to be fine connecting, downloading and uploading via the software without issues.