kanthal to temp control mode

MADMODDER

No, but that might be related if you were. 

What are the cold resistances of the coils you are switching between? 

Mis-detecting and toasting kanthal is easier to do, toasting nickel is harder, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of whatever is going on quickly. Whe it fries the coil, what is it showing as the detected resistance? 

I also think I've experienced this with a nickel coil, no ohms locked.  [Previously was ohms locked until I said it was a new coil.]  Resistance was jumping up from a 0.08 dual coil build up to 0.31/32 during firing.  I had a horrible burnt hit- even in temp protection (never kicked in).  Latest firmware as of 7/11/15.  Couple that with the locked ohms problem and temp protection kicking in immediately, I think something might be up with this firmware.

I'd you revert to an older firmware with the same coil, does the problem go away? If you use atomizer analyzer and wiggle the connection and/ or the coils, does it stay stable? If so, at what resistance when the coils are completely cold?

Hi John, sorry for being such a newbie here... I don't see any firmware download links in the forum here.  I also don't see a way to push an alternative firmware file within escribe to the device (only update firmware is in the menu system).

If you select update firmware from the menu, it will let you browse for a file. I think there are multiple linked to posts in the firmware section. I am on my phone right now, but if not I will get some alternatives posted tomorrow.

Hey John, I appreciate it- thanks so much for your replies tonight.  I was a bit bummed and even moved back to my DNA40 when I was having some trouble here.  So, if I can solve this, that's excellent.  (I'm already in love with this new device!)

Let me load this up in a clean browser (where I don't block tracking and ads of various sorts)... yup, even in my clean firefox instance, I can't seem to find the firmware links.  I apologize if they're there and I can't find them.  [Or if there is a method to download them via escribe I'm not seeing... it all seemed automatic last time when the new firmware was available.]

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Hi John,

It looks like my version of escribe came with a 2015-06-26.sw-update and I think the latest release was the 2015-06-30.sw-update.  Is that correct? (shows date modified of 7/1/15 on the last one).  I have them in the application folder, and it does indeed allow me to select them.  If those are correct, I'll run the other tests first, then revert the firmware, and see if things are solved with my latest experiences.

Thanks for all your help this Sat. night!  (you're obviously seriously devoted to this forum and the questions arising here!  thank you for that!!)
-A

Hi John!  It does appear that I get almost immediate temp protect on my RDA if I'm low enough in the temp control.  When set at 230C (sorry for C- I think better in C for experiments = 446 F) I do get almost immediate temp protection if I've vaped to temp protection recently.  So much so that I can't "work through" the absorbed e-liquid on the cotton in my coil (something I was doing with the DNA40 to eek out the last of the eliquid).  I get a bit more flexibility if I up the temp protection to 235C (455 F) and can vape through the eliquid on the cotton a bit better than earlier.  [Of course volume of the vape goes way down, but often it's just enough for me with strong tasting eliquids.]  So, at least initially (didn't see any jumps to 600 temp here- this appears to be normal operation), it appears both firmware are operating the same.  This thread likely should be combined with the other thread where vaporlips was having a similar problem.

I want to briefly confirm what MadModder also saw- I too saw ohms change even with the lock on.  I wasn't sure if it was reading real-time or what at the time.  I believe that may have been a precursor to a bad hit for me, but again, I can't be sure of that experience (other than the bad hit) - I often vape and drive. ;)  so, I can't pay too much attention to the mod at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Return to researcher? How on earth did you get THAT? 

Were you even on the research tab? 

Which firmware version was this? Also, which mod was this?

Return to researcher would be if you were running a research study and wanted it to shut off after, say, 15 minutes, or 100 puffs, or whatever.