Car charging

lamonjullo

perfectly safe. even if you use a 2.1a charger meant for most modern phones the dna will still only charge at 1a maximum. the only "danger" is more wear and tear on the usb port itself. using it often with the cable tethered could add strain and eventually cause the usb connector to lossen up or even get damaged if your always pulling on it. as long as you don't stress the usb jack much you can plug it in any chance you get with no problems  

I was asking because John said something that worried me a little in another thread.  I didn't fully understand the original context too much, but this is what he said (sorry, I don't know how to quote across different threads):

"Be extremely careful plugging it into your car - your alternator can be putting out as much as 14.5 volts. 

If it is set to 3s and you plug a 2s into it it will not fire. 

It will fire and charge with a 3s battery if it is set to 2s, because it can see there's an extra cell there. 

It will fire regardless of input voltage (and will never charge) if it is set to power supply. It will do so without regard for itself: it will happily blow fuses or try to fire from 4 volts or 15 volts or any other horrible things you might try to make it do. SO be careful what you feed it "

lamonjullo said:

I was asking because John said something that worried me a little in another thread.  I didn't fully understand the original context too much, but this is what he said (sorry, I don't know how to quote across different threads):

"Be extremely careful plugging it into your car - your alternator can be putting out as much as 14.5 volts. 

If it is set to 3s and you plug a 2s into it it will not fire. 

It will fire and charge with a 3s battery if it is set to 2s, because it can see there's an extra cell there. 

It will fire regardless of input voltage (and will never charge) if it is set to power supply. It will do so without regard for itself: it will happily blow fuses or try to fire from 4 volts or 15 volts or any other horrible things you might try to make it do. SO be careful what you feed it "

That was in response to direct wiring a DNA200 to use a car's electrical system as a power supply (battery), not charging a mod with a 3s lipo internal battery from a USB charger in a car.