Opus 200 Reading Resistance Too High?

jschreiber

Hi, 

I was quite split on placing this in the bug forum or here, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. 

I've noticed my Opus 200 reads the resistances of coils higher than they are reading on my IPV4 when I set the resistance as well as a multimeter that I borrowed some time ago to check (although not the most expensive one). The IPV4 is at 0.151 on a particular coil, multimeter at 0.155, and the Opus is at 0.18. I've noticed throughout the time I have had these tanks/coils on the Opus it has been reading higher resistances than the IPV4 by approximately .02 or .03. These coils are all rated for 0.15 ohm.

I realize this is a minuscule difference and the temperature control seems to be working great, but should it be doing this or is this even a problem? Could it just be different materials in the 510? Or could it just be the Opus being more accurate than the IPV4 and the multimeter? 

Thank you,

Jeremy

you could also just enter the mods resistance as .02 or .03 without actually checking the mods resistance in a case like this too, as long as the resistance is stable and not jumping around this could straighten it right out. I have one mod that I'm testing with extra long leads to the atty in test configuration and without entering an offset for this it was sporadic and unstable, even would jump in and out of temp control, but once I added some resistance to the base mod in escribe she's rock solid now and temp control works fine and resistance reads fine.

of course if there is an actual problem that's causing higher resistance readings then this is a band aid rather than a fix, but if it's rock solid and consistent, but only a few points off, this will recalibrate it to perfect... of course if you can actually measure the mods resistance would be best, but if not then from the data you've collected already you can make an educated guess by adding the .02 or .03

jschreiber said:

Sorry for my ignorance on this one but how can I short the 510?

A common method seems to be to take a relatively thick copper wire and clamp it in the posts of a decent RDA. Mount that and measure the resistance reading. It will include the resistance of the mod, the 510 contact resistance and resistivity, and the same for the atty. I've seen it recommended to only use 80% of the measured value for safety. Apparently a calculated negative resistance would be bad.