battery draining to 3.1V - doesn't this damage it?

alfie

Hi all

I noticed my device is taking my battery    down to 3.1V - my understanding was that it's a bad idea to take it below 3.2V.  
First question..... is that correct?
second question..... (assuming draining it this low is a bad idea) how do I prevent it from draining so far?

low_volts2.jpg

I can see there is a soft cut of and the device came with this set at 2.75v;  i thought this was more to do with battery sag when firing rather than the point when it will stop working altogether.

Any ideas please?

Thank

it drains whilst in use.  I haven't looked to see if it goes even lower while not being used
that screenshot was while idling

I'm not sure how that is relevant to whether draining an 18650 is harmful to it or not - but I'm happy to answer questions that might get us there :)

Yep, I already carry a spare

I take it your response means, that you think it's not good to take it below 3.2V
so, do you have any ideas for the second question please?
"Second question..... (assuming draining it this low is a bad idea) how do I prevent it from draining so far?"

I would have thought there would be somewhere in the setting for it to monitor the overall charge (when idling) and prevent it being fired below a certain level.

I let it charge a bit and then played around
seems I have to set the soft cut off to 3.1 to prevent it going below 3.2 when idling.
I'm hoping that doesn't cause too many problems.

the only other alternative is to monitor it to see what percentage charge equates to 3.2 and keep an eye on that reading.

thanks for your input - it's gratefully received

What battery are you using? On a DNA75 with an 18650 battery that is a perfectly acceptable level for your battery to be at. For example here is the spec sheet for a 25r which lists the end voltage at 2.5v

https://www.powerstream.com/p/INR18650-25R-datasheet.pdf