(Absolute) Max Input Voltage

Rossum

Spec says 12.6V maximum input voltage.     That's a 3S Lithium Ion.    Specs also imply you can run the DNA200 from a 12V power supply or a lead-acid battery.     Depending on their exact chemistry, fully charged lead-acid batteries can exceed 12.6V by a bit, and you're certainly going to exceed that while charging them.     So I'd like to ask:

What's the Absolute Maximum Input Voltage, and what will happen if it's exceeded?

The places I spend the most time are at one of my desks and in my car.  So I'm toying with the idea of making a pass-through mod (a squonker, of course!) that dispenses with the whole 3S battery thing and runs directly from a "12V" power supply, but many of them actually output more like 13.8V (to emulate a car that's running) and of course in an actual car, we might see something as high as 14-15V.  

Am I gonna blow up my boards if I attempt this?   

Rossum said:

Spec says 12.6V maximum input voltage.     That's a 3S Lithium Ion.    Specs also imply you can run the DNA200 from a 12V power supply or a lead-acid battery.     Depending on their exact chemistry, fully charged lead-acid batteries can exceed 12.6V by a bit, and you're certainly going to exceed that while charging them.     So I'd like to ask:

What's the Absolute Maximum Input Voltage, and what will happen if it's exceeded?

The places I spend the most time are at one of my desks and in my car.  So I'm toying with the idea of making a pass-through mod (a squonker, of course!) that dispenses with the whole 3S battery thing and runs directly from a "12V" power supply, but many of them actually output more like 13.8V (to emulate a car that's running) and of course in an actual car, we might see something as high as 14-15V.  

Am I gonna blow up my boards if I attempt this?   

Will this work with the balance charger port not connected? Seems like the firmware would think there is a cell problem.

The easiest way around that is set up a three resistor divider to generate "cell" voltages for the balancer to see. You can also disable battery monitoring entirely, which is for fixed installations only, but is useful if you're building the board into a research smoking machine, or something like that. 

John said:

Absolute max is 16v.

Perfect, thank you!

John said:

The easiest way around that is set up a three resistor divider to generate "cell" voltages for the balancer to see. You can also disable battery monitoring entirely, which is for fixed installations only, but is useful if you're building the board into a research smoking machine, or something like that. 

Yep, I'd plan to turn battery monitoring off. 

• 11 months later...

John said:

Absolute max is 16v.

Thanks John, good information....

But to re-ask Rossum's question: what will happen if it's exceeded?
I'm trying to put together a Power-Supplied set-up and am also curious what happens to max-wattage if inputs are 16v and 23amp? Is max output still limited by the board to 9v?
Sorry if these questions are off-base, just don't want to fry a board with excessive voltage.

• 10 months later...

This is a continued question for Me as well, I'm building a portable power system using 4s10p supply. I could limit charging voltage to 16volts 4v per pack to keep from damaging boards, use a big dc-dc converter but is this necessary? I need higher than 3s voltage for other items. If the boards were capable of 16.8 all would be VERY well for this particular project.
Is the max voltage the same for both 200 and 250 boards "16volts?"