Crown III Temp Control

lepryy

Hi everyone, I just got my first DNA device today (Therion 166)! I also picked up a Crown 3 to put on top as the my other tank doesn't have a SS coil option. 

I've been having a lot of trouble getting temp control to work correctly. There are other threads about the same topic here and on r/electronic_cigarette. I've read those, and nothing has worked yet. 

The Crown 3 comes with two coils, both are called "SUS316 Parallel Coil - rated for 80-90W". No idea what in the world "SUS316" is. Anyways, I don't think temperature control is working right. I have to turn up the temperature to about 600F at 90 watts to get a decent hit. I've tried both the default SS316 profile that's built into Escribe, and a CSV that I generated on steam-engine using all the correct settings. Both are about the same. I've also tried an SS304 and 316L CSV, and they're all pretty much the same. The coils work fantastically in regular wattage mode. 

I did build an SS316L coil and put that in my Gemini RTA and it worked just fine. 

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate anything, because as it sits I'm looking at a wasted $30 and I'll have to go buy something else. 

32 minutes ago, lepryy said:

Hi everyone, I just got my first DNA device today (Therion 166)! I also picked up a Crown 3 to put on top as the my other tank doesn't have a SS coil option. 

I've been having a lot of trouble getting temp control to work correctly. There are other threads about the same topic here and on r/electronic_cigarette. I've read those, and nothing has worked yet. 

The Crown 3 comes with two coils, both are called "SUS316 Parallel Coil - rated for 80-90W". No idea what in the world "SUS316" is. Anyways, I don't think temperature control is working right. I have to turn up the temperature to about 600F at 90 watts to get a decent hit. I've tried both the default SS316 profile that's built into Escribe, and a CSV that I generated on steam-engine using all the correct settings. Both are about the same. I've also tried an SS304 and 316L CSV, and they're all pretty much the same. The coils work fantastically in regular wattage mode. 

I did build an SS316L coil and put that in my Gemini RTA and it worked just fine. 

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate anything, because as it sits I'm looking at a wasted $30 and I'll have to go buy something else. 

Hello, I have the Crown 3 on top of a DNA 250 device using it in TC mode. I attached the profile and csv for the coil to this post. If you do not want to load the csv use SS 316 as the material. Settings on device are: 80w, 515f, 100w preheat power.

Crown 3.ecigprofile

uwell crown ss.csv

6 minutes ago, MikeTheDude said:

Hello, I have the Crown 3 on top of a DNA 250 device using it in TC mode. I attached the profile and csv for the coil to this post. If you do not want to load the csv use SS 316 as the material. Settings on device are: 80w, 515f, 100w preheat power.

Crown 3.ecigprofile

uwell crown ss.csv

Hey, thanks for the files! I think it is working better than any other method I've tried. 

But it still doesn't seem right. For example, in my Gemini I have a .2 ohm dual coil SS316L setup and I have it set to 480 degrees at 100w. Yet the hit from that is still (much) warmer than the Crown at 600F. What gives? 

5 minutes ago, lepryy said:

Hey, thanks for the files! I think it is working better than any other method I've tried. 

But it still doesn't seem right. For example, in my Gemini I have a .2 ohm dual coil SS316L setup and I have it set to 480 degrees at 100w. Yet the hit from that is still (much) warmer than the Crown at 600F. What gives? 

No problem Bud. I guess it is the size of the coil and/or the material used. I have a Kanger Toptank with a twisted 28g Ni200 .04ohm build in it and keep the temperature at 415f. I just set a profile up for each tank/rda according to what vapes best. Seems the setting can vary from each device. 

Just now, MikeTheDude said:

No problem Bud. I guess it is the size of the coil and/or the material used. I have a Kanger Toptank with a twisted 28g Ni200 .04ohm build in it and keep the temperature at 415f. I just set a profile up for each tank/rda according to what vapes best. Seems the setting can vary from each device. 

I take what I said in the previous post back. I believe it's working fine now. I think what's happening is that the Crown isn't wicking enough. I can take the cap off and watch as a few bubbles rise up, then hit it again and it's amazing. After a few more hits I get less and less vapor, and less temperature. Take the cap off and let it wick more, and it's better again. Interesting...

Which coil are you using? The .5 ohm head @ 80 watts needs 6.32 volts for the pre-heat @ 100 watts 7.07 volts. I can only the the tank with the .5 ohm head on the DNA 250 which has a 9 volt limit. The other mods I own (DNA 75's) have a 6 volt limit so I have to use the .25 ohm head to get a nice vape.