Alternate Led button wiring method

I am trying to incorporate an led firing button momentary switch in a dna 250 build.  I have tried using the on board pads if you can call them that.  The pads break off if you breath on them wrong.  Too fragile to survive the board installation.  I need another way to get power to the button led.  I have considered running power leads to the battery terminals and using a 500 ohm resistor.  I cannot figure out the inline wiring.  I have seen where some one posted a diagram but it made no sense as i couldnt figue out how the remote switch leads would play into the chain.  Can some one draw a simple diagram that shows where i can connect the power with a resistor withou having to use those dinky pads ?  I have read about  a 3.5v test pad somewhere on the board.  Then using that and any common ground supply power to the led.  But i only want it in when the button is pressed as to not drain the battery.  What is the order of the leads including the remote fire leads and the resistor for a 4 lead button.  What risistance is needed for 3.5v direct to a 2.8 to 4.5 v led switch.  I know i may be missing something glaring here so please take it easy on me.  

Thanks, 

Dylan