Ni80 for temp control?

Alex faught

Nichrome 80/60 are not suitable wires for temp control. Steam Engine does provide the TFR values for them on their site, but I believe their main use is for people who want to build hybrid builds for temp control with the DNA 200, such as mixing Kanthal & Ni200 or Titanium & Nichrome 80.

Alex faught said:

I am looking for something that has a higher resistance than ni200. I also want to be able to have contact coils and be able to glow them to clean them off without the aftermath consisting of toxic byproducts.

Sounds like SS430 would work great for you then. It has a higher TCR than most other types of stainless steel wire, and can be dry-burned without any issues. NiFe52 wire would also work, but it is difficult to find in my experience. SS430 can be bought through Unkamen supplies in a few different gauges. I've used their 28g and 20g personally, although the 20g isn't great for TC.

you can use stainless steel and proceed as normal like kanthal... the temp swing may be a bit larger than nickel or Ti but ive had no issues.... also, i do my titanium coils like kanthals. contact coils, i pulse at a low wattage just until i can tell they have no hot spots. and dont worry about the oxidation bull shit, TiO2 is used as food coloring and is generally safe for consumption. its the synthetic TiO2 NANOPARTICLES that are engineered in a lab that can cause irritation. Titanium is extremely compatible with the human body.... and just fyi, ive yet to have a titanium coil oxidize while pulsing it. i have seen a little bit while cleaning the coil off ( dry burn, and dunk under water) but that could be from the juice too. plus the water just washes it off. titanium is about as safe as it gets.

Sorry, I didn't realize there were already 2 posts before mine recommending SS. I haven't quite figured out titanium yet with the DNA 200, but I have used it with my IPV D2 and it worked fairly well, but I think I am using the wrong CSV file with the DNA, so my attempts so far have been undesirable. Nonetheless, other than the precautions of dry burning titanium to prevent the "harmful" oxides produced (I only use quotations, because it is my understanding that the research is inconclusive), I can only imagine that titanium is one of the safest alternatives, since it is widely used in the medical field. However, I am no scientist or physician, so don't take my word for it. Aside from being technical, it seems that titanium is a favorite for TC, amongst the masses of those who have tried it. There are definitely people here who are much more knowledgeable and credible than I am when it comes to this subject. I personally am old skool, so I am a big fan of Kanthal and Nichrome, and have enjoyed SS as well. Anyways, sorry for the blabber, I got carried away...again. Good luck.

Alex faught said:

I have looked into the NiFe52 wire, but it is hard to find in thicker sizes.

You can get it here

http://www.zivipf.com/epages/63862298.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63862298/Categories/Heizdraht/NiFe48

This is a good vendor and they ship worldvide

• 5 months later...