How to set up a DNA properly ?

Lanzarotechris

@asmcriminal

I thought I mentioned it somewhere... quite in the beginning of this entry.

When I activate different functions (preheat/boost/punch/TC/...) the vape changes so it is "not worth" to be re-played.

And yes, the different functions and their playing together is indeed confusing. Especially when:

a) you don't know what they do,

b) there is no "real" value (like watt or temp) to them but only some kind of bar and/or value from 1-11, who noone does know what it means either.

so... my thought was to get this explained so I can make (at least) an educated guess what will happen when I change value "X".

BTW: Today I found out that REPLAY is quite sophisticated in the way it measures and works. There even is a "hidden" function in escribe which shows some additional values,

and makes some additional settings available.

I think I will not go further into it here, as it is complicated enough. Maybe I can tell more when I get to the bottom of it, so I don't tell shit about stuff I don't understand yet.

In the moment I try out some ideas that I got here from the forum-members (thanks again to all for the tips and explanations so far).

It looks fine so far, I also have to make some new coils for some atomizers (learned more in-depth about that too over the last days) so I am still working to improve my vaping experience.

But to answer your question: Hard to say... mostly the taste gets "flat" and I have to raise the wattage (or preheat or boost...),

or its too hot and boils my liquid, and when I fiddle with the settings I get lost and all was for nothing, and then there is nothing to save and re-play.

As I said,... too many options with unknown effects. With my "old" mods like Therion DNA75 (without the C) or the Reuleaux 300 or the eVic AIO 75 I have max. 2 settings to keep track of: Watts and/or Temp.

With the new DNA250C I have Watts, Temp, Boost, Punch, Warmth, and what else there is...

And that made me a little bit P/O, as I am not a bloody newbie, but its hard to understand it when there is no documentation or explanation for some settings/values.

But we're getting there, that's for shure ;-)

(NEVER give up ! ;-)

So, thanks for joining the conversation ! What are your experiences ? At which point do you get lost ?

32 minutes ago, Lanzarotechris said:

@asmcriminal

I thought I mentioned it somewhere... quite in the beginning of this entry.

When I activate different functions (preheat/boost/punch/TC/...) the vape changes so it is "not worth" to be re-played.

And yes, the different functions and their playing together is indeed confusing. Especially when:

a) you don't know what they do,

b) there is no "real" value (like watt or temp) to them but only some kind of bar and/or value from 1-11, who noone does know what it means either.

so... my thought was to get this explained so I can make (at least) an educated guess what will happen when I change value "X".

BTW: Today I found out that REPLAY is quite sophisticated in the way it measures and works. There even is a "hidden" function in escribe which shows some additional values,

and makes some additional settings available.

I think I will not go further into it here, as it is complicated enough. Maybe I can tell more when I get to the bottom of it, so I don't tell shit about stuff I don't understand yet.

In the moment I try out some ideas that I got here from the forum-members (thanks again to all for the tips and explanations so far).

It looks fine so far, I also have to make some new coils for some atomizers (learned more in-depth about that too over the last days) so I am still working to improve my vaping experience.

But to answer your question: Hard to say... mostly the taste gets "flat" and I have to raise the wattage (or preheat or boost...),

or its too hot and boils my liquid, and when I fiddle with the settings I get lost and all was for nothing, and then there is nothing to save and re-play.

As I said,... too many options with unknown effects. With my "old" mods like Therion DNA75 (without the C) or the Reuleaux 300 or the eVic AIO 75 I have max. 2 settings to keep track of: Watts and/or Temp.

With the new DNA250C I have Watts, Temp, Boost, Punch, Warmth, and what else there is...

And that made me a little bit P/O, as I am not a bloody newbie, but its hard to understand it when there is no documentation or explanation for some settings/values.

But we're getting there, that's for shure 😉

(NEVER give up ! 😉

So, thanks for joining the conversation ! What are your experiences ? At which point do you get lost ?

@Lanzarotechris

I hated Replay mode at first. I burned a few wicks with it. I forgot to hit the "save" puff button. What I would do if I was you is that I would turn off all functions for replay. Turn off Preheat, warmth, and punch. I would start at a lower wattage and slowly turn it up. If I like one of the vapes then I would hit save. If you can't manage to find a puff you want. Then I would turn on one feature at a time.

Also, keep in mind there is the DNA250C manual. In the manual it states:

Preheat- When the DNA 250C is used with a temperature sensing atomizer, an additional feature called Preheat is activated. No vapor is produced when the temperature is below the boiling point of the liquid. Preheat applies extra power until the heating coil is up to operating temperature to shorten the delay between pressing the fire button and generating vapor. Because preheat is temperature based, it will not overheat or burn the vapor. The Preheat settings can be adjusted from the device.

Boost - The DNA 250C supports Boost functionality when not used with a temperature sensing atomizer to briefly increase the initial power output at the start of a puff. This can be useful to allow higher mass coils to reach the point where they produce vapor quicker. Boost can be toggled on or off from the device. The Boost value is adjustable from 1 to 11 with a higher value giving a stronger Boost.

Warmth and Punch are not discussed in the manual.

When you have preheat on, you can set a preheat wattage. Let's say I am vaping at 50 watts and I have the preheat to 100 watts. It will fire at 100 watts until it reaches the temperature I specified. I am not sure if preheat is available in the default theme for replay. I am using a modified theme. 

Honestly, temperature control mode might work better for you. Replay is a "basic" temperature control mode. It was made because a lot of people thought TC mode was a bit complicated. In facts, it's pretty easy. eVolve is trying to get people to use temperature control mode and that's why there is Replay mode.

@asmcriminal

I think you shouldn't have to quote my complete last entry 😉

Its just waste of space... maybe try to quote the details you're referring to instead ?

I'm using a modified theme too... more control options, 1°C steps and so on... 0.1 steps is something I never understood why they implemented it in the first place... its just stupid 😄

But I started (like most people I guess) by using the mod "out of the box" so I didn't look what was activated and what was not... first error 🙂

Then I was a little confused as it worked very differently than my Therion DNA75, which I use most of the day (and since over a year).

I thought they're supposed to be "equal" as they are from the same company...

just that the new 250C would be more "sophisticated", but in general the same. But the vape was even with the same settings somewhat different.

Then I got lost in the settings...

And believe me, even something "simple" like having found a decent vape, and then activate/deactivate one single function can make a huge difference.

So now I stopped to compare the 75 with the 250C, and started to set the values in a systematic way, so I can undo it.

Looks like you really have to get used to the new device... I got the Triade just less than a month ago, so I am still working on the details I guess.

But I think to open this posting was a good idea, as shure many people may struggle with the amount of different settings too.

I switched to SS coils a while ago, as I love TC. Still get some dry hits when using a RDA on the non-TC mods (like my Desire 166 squonker) or when using a kanthal/Ni80 coil.

But most of my atomizers are running SS now and I really see no negative point. Its fast, its nice to work with it and its cheap.

For wicking I use muji pads, as they are easy to handle and to cut. No problems with them, they last quite long (depending on the liquid of course) and no "foreign" taste from it.

But for some unknown reason I still get the best taste out of my first atomizer, the Aromamizer V1 (dual coil, 0.33 ohm with a SS304 0.4 mm round wire).

Great throat-hit, great taste... which makes me wonder as I own also some quite expensive atomizers like the Tsunami GT3 and the GT4. Also a Das Tank Ding clone and a Corona V8 clone.

But they all lack the great taste everyone labels on them. Maybe I didn't have found the right combination of coils/wicking/settings for them yet. Wasn't prepared to do a 2-year university degree on it...

Well,... at least I have a hobby now *lol*

Last words to your last part of your post: Replay is NOT temp mode. Its totally different I have learned. Watched some interesting YT vids about it, but the most informative was in german, so sorry...

Well, the guy compared some puffs in the device monitor to proof it... and he's right.

To make it short,... noone even can properly explain what replay does. You may know this YT guy called DJlsbvape or so.... he used an oscilloscope and couldn't explain it, and he's quite good in the field of electronics.

Replay measures the resistance from the batteries, the cables, the chip and the 510, and adjusts the output accordingly to the saved puff and that a few dozen times per second...

there are some "hidden" settings in escribe where you can acutally see the "background noise" and even that goes into the calculations. And the measurement is up to the 8th digit behind the dot !

So its really really sophisticated !

Temp control on the other hand is just a simple graph of the change of the ohms when the metal is getting warmer. Thats all known values and simple to implement.

But replay is not only another ball park, its another game completely.

When it would be the same, then replay wouldn't work only in TC but not in wattage mode, right ?

Yes, it only works with temp coils, but it can even work with Ni80 ! And I never got a Ni80 coil that would be accepted in TC mode on any of my devices.

Also mixed material coils work with replay, like SS316 wrapped with kanthal.

I just wish the next improvement will be TC for kanthal 😉

That would be great ! Don't know why they didn't have implemented it yet, but when the chip already calculates with 8 digits it should be possible...

Well,... we will see... maybe in the next version of the DNA250... ???

6 hours ago, Lanzarotechris said:
1 hour ago, Lanzarotechris said:

@asmcriminal

I think you shouldn't have to quote my complete last entry 😉

Its just waste of space... maybe try to quote the details you're referring to instead ?

I'm using a modified theme too... more control options, 1°C steps and so on... 0.1 steps is something I never understood why they implemented it in the first place... its just stupid 😄

But I started (like most people I guess) by using the mod "out of the box" so I didn't look what was activated and what was not... first error 🙂

Then I was a little confused as it worked very differently than my Therion DNA75, which I use most of the day (and since over a year).

I thought they're supposed to be "equal" as they are from the same company...

just that the new 250C would be more "sophisticated", but in general the same. But the vape was even with the same settings somewhat different.

Then I got lost in the settings...

And believe me, even something "simple" like having found a decent vape, and then activate/deactivate one single function can make a huge difference.

So now I stopped to compare the 75 with the 250C, and started to set the values in a systematic way, so I can undo it.

Looks like you really have to get used to the new device... I got the Triade just less than a month ago, so I am still working on the details I guess.

But I think to open this posting was a good idea, as shure many people may struggle with the amount of different settings too.

I switched to SS coils a while ago, as I love TC. Still get some dry hits when using a RDA on the non-TC mods (like my Desire 166 squonker) or when using a kanthal/Ni80 coil.

But most of my atomizers are running SS now and I really see no negative point. Its fast, its nice to work with it and its cheap.

For wicking I use muji pads, as they are easy to handle and to cut. No problems with them, they last quite long (depending on the liquid of course) and no "foreign" taste from it.

But for some unknown reason I still get the best taste out of my first atomizer, the Aromamizer V1 (dual coil, 0.33 ohm with a SS304 0.4 mm round wire).

Great throat-hit, great taste... which makes me wonder as I own also some quite expensive atomizers like the Tsunami GT3 and the GT4. Also a Das Tank Ding clone and a Corona V8 clone.

But they all lack the great taste everyone labels on them. Maybe I didn't have found the right combination of coils/wicking/settings for them yet. Wasn't prepared to do a 2-year university degree on it...

Well,... at least I have a hobby now *lol*

Last words to your last part of your post: Replay is NOT temp mode. Its totally different I have learned. Watched some interesting YT vids about it, but the most informative was in german, so sorry...

Well, the guy compared some puffs in the device monitor to proof it... and he's right.

To make it short,... noone even can properly explain what replay does. You may know this YT guy called DJlsbvape or so.... he used an oscilloscope and couldn't explain it, and he's quite good in the field of electronics.

Replay measures the resistance from the batteries, the cables, the chip and the 510, and adjusts the output accordingly to the saved puff and that a few dozen times per second...

there are some "hidden" settings in escribe where you can acutally see the "background noise" and even that goes into the calculations. And the measurement is up to the 8th digit behind the dot !

So its really really sophisticated !

Temp control on the other hand is just a simple graph of the change of the ohms when the metal is getting warmer. Thats all known values and simple to implement.

But replay is not only another ball park, its another game completely.

When it would be the same, then replay wouldn't work only in TC but not in wattage mode, right ?

Yes, it only works with temp coils, but it can even work with Ni80 ! And I never got a Ni80 coil that would be accepted in TC mode on any of my devices.

Also mixed material coils work with replay, like SS316 wrapped with kanthal.

I just wish the next improvement will be TC for kanthal 😉

That would be great ! Don't know why they didn't have implemented it yet, but when the chip already calculates with 8 digits it should be possible...

Well,... we will see... maybe in the next version of the DNA250... ???

You should also play around with coils. A lot of "fancy" coils are pointless. I am specifically talking about different gauge wires. Simple coils. Those also greatly affect the vape experience. I didn't say "Reply is temp control,"  I said, "Replay is a basic temperature control." I meant basic in usage, not complexity.  Yes TC mode produces a simple graph. Do you think replay doesn't?  It will still produce a simple graph. You push the fire button and vape. The temperature of the coil/wattage would be pretty consistent graph.

But yes, TC and Replay are similar. Why do you think that Replay only works on temperature control coils?  The main difference between the two is in TC mode you program the device of how you want it. You pre-set the device. In Replay, you take a puff and it records the data. It and then you set it. You "post-set" your device. After the hit is when it gets programmed not before. 

Yes, I quoted the entire text so future readers can know exactly what I am replying to. I can't go through your text and pick out certain parts to quote. You write too much for that.

@asmcriminal

Yes, I tried come "fancy" coils but ralized rather quickly that that was a waste of time (and power and liquid) ;-)

But some "not so very fancy" coils are still interesting... like "simple" claptons, Tiger, twisted and so on...

Saw some nice vids about coils too... learned that 2 strains of 0.2 are better than 1x 0.4 for example...

But mostly I use 304 or 316 round wire... but I am still experimenting  in that area...

My typical vaping setup settled around 0.3-0.5 ohms and 30-50 watts, RDAs a little bit higher raund 50-60 watts.

I look mainly for taste, clouds I don't care much about. Thats why I'm still unsatisfied with my attys... I really expect more out of them.

Well, there are so many variables in that ... maybe its the coil, or the settings, or the wicking, or even the liquid... who knows ?

About replay... try for yourself... use the monitor and see if you can create the same identical graph in replay... I doubt it... it will be always different.

In TC you have a straight line for the Temp when puffing, in Wattage you have a straight line for the Watts, but in Replay its always different.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, Lanzarotechris said:

@asmcriminal

Yes, I tried come "fancy" coils but ralized rather quickly that that was a waste of time (and power and liquid) 😉

But some "not so very fancy" coils are still interesting... like "simple" claptons, Tiger, twisted and so on...

Saw some nice vids about coils too... learned that 2 strains of 0.2 are better than 1x 0.4 for example...

But mostly I use 304 or 316 round wire... but I am still experimenting  in that area...

My typical vaping setup settled around 0.3-0.5 ohms and 30-50 watts, RDAs a little bit higher raund 50-60 watts.

I look mainly for taste, clouds I don't care much about. Thats why I'm still unsatisfied with my attys... I really expect more out of them.

Well, there are so many variables in that ... maybe its the coil, or the settings, or the wicking, or even the liquid... who knows ?

About replay... try for yourself... use the monitor and see if you can create the same identical graph in replay... I doubt it... it will be always different.

In TC you have a straight line for the Temp when puffing, in Wattage you have a straight line for the Watts, but in Replay its always different.

You know... I am not understanding your first post on "Setting up the DNA 250C"  I am starting to have problems as you have stated.  I can't get "the perfect vape." I think it has to do with the temperature protect on replay.  You can turn it off in escribe. But I Have not done that yet. I have been a bit too lazy. I also don't know if it will prevent replay from working.

• 2 weeks later...

@asmcriminal

Actually I can't even remember what I've tried and what not... But I am running at some decent temperature around 220-240°C.

Shouldn't interfere with Replay, because Replay and TC are 2 seperate things... And I like TC because no dry-hits and the material (coils, cotton) works longer.

That's why I also switched to use mostly SS coils.

But I am getting to the point where I get used to the Triade and get a feeling about the settings... and the advice here from the forum helped a lot too.

Definately not a device I would recommend for starters, thats for shure now.

I want to write some kind of summary here in this post, but at the moment there are too much other things I have to take care of in real life, and also I still have to figure out some more of my 13 Atomizers on the Triade 😉

In the moment I just have 2 or 3 that work as expected. So not the end of the road yet, but I can see it in the distance 😉

14 hours ago, Lanzarotechris said:

@asmcriminal

Actually I can't even remember what I've tried and what not... But I am running at some decent temperature around 220-240°C.

Shouldn't interfere with Replay, because Replay and TC are 2 seperate things... And I like TC because no dry-hits and the material (coils, cotton) works longer.

That's why I also switched to use mostly SS coils.

But I am getting to the point where I get used to the Triade and get a feeling about the settings... and the advice here from the forum helped a lot too.

Definately not a device I would recommend for starters, thats for shure now.

I want to write some kind of summary here in this post, but at the moment there are too much other things I have to take care of in real life, and also I still have to figure out some more of my 13 Atomizers on the Triade 😉

In the moment I just have 2 or 3 that work as expected. So not the end of the road yet, but I can see it in the distance 😉

Totally disagree with your opinion. Replay enabled devices are perfect for starters/newbies.

Find a vape you like, press Replay. Sorted.

• 2 months later...