The Trucker DNA250C 30Ml. Squonk

AMDtrucking

Being a truck driver, I always wanted a squonk mod with more juice capacity and endless supply of battery source... The bottle compartment has to be completely insulated from PCB. The PCB, as well as MM510 connector, have to be screw onto the aluminum body of the mod, for reliable connection. 14 gauge AWG silicon wires have to be used to lower the internal resistance of the mod.  

Ended up making one myself. It is DNA250C mod and it has squonk bottle of 30 milliliters and powered by my truck batteries. I still need to work on the finish, right now the finish is of my lathe and mill. But it is functional, I'm testing it with 3S LiPo 40C. I've got to work on the Theme setting and get rid of the battery indicator, because it shows 1% all the time. In Escribe - Mod - Battery, I chose "Power Supply - 12V". I'm not using the board's balancing terminals, because I don't intend to charge my truck batteries via USB. I don't know why, but I drilled Ø1.0mm hole in front of the LED  😉

The Trucker S.png

I keep my vaping gear in the cup holder, so my mod mast be able to stand,  that's why I made power connector on the side of the mod. The sought of hanging it, like the truckers CB microphone, did cress my mind. 

Edited by AMDtrucking
  • Like 5

I apologized for my typo's. The word  MAST, should be read as MUST and CRESS, as CROSS. It's too late to edit it.

Could anyone suggest, how to wire it properly, for Power Supply 12V, in such way that the battery indicator, won't show 1% charge all the time?

battery1.png

Edited by AMDtrucking

TBH, i don't think the Battery gauge works when in PSU mode, regardless of how you wire anything. I haven't tried running a 250C from a PSU to test this theory but have with a monochrome 250. The battery gas gauging is generated from the analog front of the DNA board (Battery Management/Protection/Balancing IC). When in PSU mode this monolithic IC is disabled, given it's not needed when using an external PSU.  In short, without that IC calculating battery capacity, the board cannot estimate a percentage. 

I would just delete the batt percentage field from your theme if you are going to use the board in PSU mode.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spector NS5 RD said:

TBH, i don't think the Battery gauge works when in PSU mode, regardless of how you wire anything. I haven't tried running a 250C from a PSU to test this theory but have with a monochrome 250. The battery gas gauging is generated from the analog front of the DNA board (Battery Management/Protection/Balancing IC). When in PSU mode this monolithic IC is disabled, given it's not needed when using an external PSU.  In short, without that IC calculating battery capacity, the board cannot estimate a percentage. 

I would just delete the batt percentage field from your theme if you are going to use the board in PSU mode.

Right, that's the easy way. I wanted to do that in the first place. But if it was possible to keep that gage and have it display 100%, I would prefer that. I guess not. 

No Battery.png

There. The battery field is gone.

Edited by AMDtrucking
  • Like 1

@AMDtrucking There's always a solution! I can think of one, albeit a convoluted one.  It would involve putting the board in Lithium ion battery mode, and tricking the balance circuit into thinking there is a physical pack present. This would involve a voltage divider (resistor) network for the balance tap area. However, I'm not sure how the board would react to a voltage that would fluctuate between 12v-14.4v . Not sure how accurate the gauge would be considering the external input voltage would essentially stay constant, for the most part.

Or I could be completely wrong and missing a simple EScribe setting that resolves a non functioning battery gauge when in PSU mode.  lol  I can't seem to find one though.

1 hour ago, awsum140 said:

I'm still amazed you do that in the cab of your truck!  Nice job!

Thank you, but I doubt that a lathe and BridgePort mill, can be installed in the cab of a truck. I use it in my truck, but I made it, in my garage. Sometimes at home 🙂

LiPo.png

Edited by AMDtrucking

Necessity is the Mother of Invention! Awesome idea and Mod! :)

And since ya mentioned it, having that hanging like a CB Mike... Ouch! That is a lot of Aluminum swinging around, don't even wanna think of what it could do to your head! hehehe

At home? Ya use one of those SLA batteries strapped to your waist like a fanny pack? :D (Kidding!, I see the lipo ya got there!)

• Like 1

@AMDtrucking Come to think of it, maybe you could just add a static picture of a battery gauge.... a fake gauge that always stays at 100%. I'd help you out but I'm terrible at designing theme components let alone an entire theme.  I rarely change anything in the theme tab with the color boards. Hence why i use the stock Evolv theme for all my color scr boards. I'm more of a hardware guy than software. 🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spector NS5 RD said:

@AMDtrucking Come to think of it, maybe you could just add a static picture of a battery gauge.... a fake gauge that always stays at 100%. I'd help you out but I'm terrible at designing theme components let alone an entire theme.  I rarely change anything in the theme tab with the color boards. Hence why i use the stock Evolv theme for all my color scr boards. I'm more of a hardware guy than software. 🤪

LOL. This is also a solution. I just finishes sanding my The Trucker. I don't want to polish it, I wanted to to have a "Brushed finish" so I used P1500 sand paper.

Finished.png

• Like 3

On 10/14/2018 at 2:54 PM, KnHawke said:

That is really nice! You planning on sealing it with some ClearCoat or something? Or just leave it as it is? :)

I'm thinking of anodizing it in the future, but I'm not selling it. I made it for myself.  Well, having a wire is not this mod's the most convenient feature. But having an unlimited power source and 30ml squonk bottle, defiantly makes it bearable. 

In Truck.png

• Like 2

@AMDtrucking Off topic question. when you're hauling a load, do you even need to use the clutch at all when upshifting? I have a friend who used to drive for a company (Arrow) and i would sometimes go with him on trips. I noticed once he got going, he wouldn't use the clutch. Just let off the gas and slide it into the next highest gear.  Never heard any grinding or anything.  

How is a tractor trailer tranny able to survive with someone shifting like that?    Maybe awesome well-built syncros in them trannys?

17 hours ago, Spector NS5 RD said:

@AMDtrucking Off topic question. when you're hauling a load, do you even need to use the clutch at all when upshifting? I have a friend who used to drive for a company (Arrow) and i would sometimes go with him on trips. I noticed once he got going, he wouldn't use the clutch. Just let off the gas and slide it into the next highest gear.  Never heard any grinding or anything.  

How is a tractor trailer tranny able to survive with someone shifting like that?    Maybe awesome well-built syncros in them trannys?

That is correct. We use clutch, only in first gear, to start rolling from a dead halt. Once the rig is in motion, we shift up or down, without a clutch  just by synchronizing the vehicle's road speed with proper RPM of the engine. All transmissions alike  18-speed or 10-speed and everything in between. In fact, using the clutch, will not help you shift, if RPM of the engine is incorrect for the road speed of the vehicle, the clutch will make it worse.  In every gear, you step on accelerator, then let go and pull the shifter out of the previous gear, into neutral, and right into the next gear.  If the timing is correct, it will go in, like a hot knife in butter. To shift down, you just need to give it a little gas, in neutral and then into a lower gear. A clutch can be useful, only to pull the lever out of the gear, if were not fast enough to pull it out when you let go of the gas pedal.  I'm a car-hauler, I transport cars on my truck and get to drive a lot of different cars, every stick-shift car, that I get to drive, from Volkswagen to  Lamborghini, I drive the same way. It's like riding a bicycle, once you learn, you never forget. That said, I have to admit that I am a Hypocrite, because my current truck has an automatic transmission. Who needs shifting with all these electronics gadgets nowadays?  On the back, in my sleeper, I also have 32" LCD TV, Laser Printer and Scanner. I use Sprint for my Internet connection 50 Gigabytes of data per month. 😉

Trucker1.png

Back on Topic: I drove 620 miles yesterday, vaping only on my "Trucker squonk". It was a such a joy, not worrying  about running out of liquid and/or batteries, then I forgot about that pasky little wire. In fact, those 14 gauge silicon super flexible wires are very good.  I used about 15 ml. (50%) of liquid in my squonk in 14 hours yesterday, refilled in the morning and rolling again...

14AWG Wire.png

Edited by AMDtrucking
  • Like 3

On 10/17/2018 at 9:44 PM, AMDtrucking said:

I'm thinking of anodizing it in the future, but I'm not selling it. I made it for myself.  Well, having a wire is not this mod's the most convenient feature. But having an unlimited power source and 30ml squonk bottle, defiantly makes it bearable. 

In Truck.png

Wasn't even going to ask if I could buy it, that is too much of a beast for me these days :)

Certainly gives me some ideas on "external power" hehehe

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Fred L Simpson said:

I have a boxer 250c squawker having leaking issues hose keeps falling off fitting would it be possible for me to purchase one of your custom made fittings to solve the problem

I don't really make anything for sale. But I suppose, if you make it worth my while... Just keep in mind, in order to be able to install my "Offset Elbow Adapter", you will need to cut a piece of stainless still tube, from the end of your connector and cut threads M3.0 -0.5mm. For my friend, I also made a new "Back Nut", out of Stainless Steel, because the Delrin one, was too weak.

SS Nut.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2018 at 5:09 PM, AMDtrucking said:

I don't really make anything for sale. But I suppose, if you make it worth my while... Just keep in mind, in order to be able to install my "Offset Elbow Adapter", you will need to cut a piece of stainless still tube, from the end of your connector and cut threads M3.0 -0.5mm. For my friend, I also made a new "Back Nut", out of Stainless Steel, because the Delrin one, was too weak.

SS Nut.png

AMDTrucking, That looks like the SXK Boxer mod.....Or is it the GingerVapes version ? If its the latter they should fix it for the price it costs ! If it is the SXK I`m afraid you are going to get that with the clones, However I did incur the same problem, nearly threw the damn thing......But I simply did the screw up tight and used "Loctite" Super glue around the nut to keep it secure and it fixed the issue for me....... 

5 hours ago, @Basssn1 said:

MDTrucking, That looks like the SXK Boxer mod.....Or is it the GingerVapes version ? If its the latter they should fix it for the price it costs ! If it is the SXK I`m afraid you are going to get that with the clones, However I did incur the same problem, nearly threw the damn thing......But I simply did the screw up tight and used "Loctite" Super glue around the nut to keep it secure and it fixed the issue for me....... 

This one ( in the picture above) is the original Ginger Vaper Boxer. You could tell by how matte the finish looks, because it is 3-D printed. I just made and installed a stainless steel offset elbow adapter, just like the one in SXK Boxer clone, only not chromed brass, like they used. It is much better that way, no need to bend the hose (tube). I have an SXK Boxer clone too, that I replaced the board with DNA250C, it's working fine. And Vape Cige VTX250C, that was leaking like a sieve.

Leaky ConnectorS.png

This time, I replaced the leaky connector with Italian ModDog silver plated connector, that I machined and drilled to fit, also made an offset elbow as well. What can I say? I like my offset elbows. 😀

ModDog ConnectorS.png

Edited by AMDtrucking
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just gotta say how impressed I am with your work @AMDtrucking. It inspired me to start designing again. I used your pictures for the Boxer mod to swap in my own chip into the SXK body. Not as pretty but it gets the job done. .IMG_20181230_171802.thumb.jpg.3ec6e70331ff1856036e6725890dd613.jpg20181229_223617.thumb.jpg.c17ad5d1ffa82d765e24999d61597a5b.jpg

I am currently working on my own enclosures for the DNA 250c and I have two functional prints done but the quality of my FDM printers leaves more to be desired. But they are still usable and acceptable. I will most likely source out a sls print service to get the final prints made. Though FDM printing will allow me to prototype just fine and build a functional mod to test. I am probably a few weeks out for this one. The button sizes are different on the current one as this is the first print that I did and dry fitted everything to ensure it would be usable.  

IMG_20181212_082646.thumb.jpg.5b0e05d80f92f9b2e69d64dbc1637016.jpg

Edited by joevapes3@gmail.com
  • Like 2