How to add firing timer?

I recently got a 250C, and I'm trying to figure out how in EScribe to add a timer that displays while holding the firing button. That is, a field that will display the duration (in seconds) that the firing has occurred. None of the field options I can see in the Theme Editor seem to be the right thing. Am I just missing it, or should I be figuring out how to submit a feature request?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank65 said:

Hi,there's a control in Theme Editor which shows last puff time in seconds:

Recordings->puffs->time

Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for. For example, the SMOK Alien has a timer that displays while you are firing. E.g., if I like to wait 3 seconds to start inhaling, I can watch the timer count up to 3.0 seconds. If I know I only have a little material in my coil, and I want to stop firing after 8 seconds, I can keep an eye on the timer so I don't go too long.

So, I'm looking for the current puff time so far, not the duration of an already-completed puff.

Edited by Dr. Drax

11 hours ago, Dr. Drax said:

Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for. For example, the SMOK Alien has a timer that displays while you are firing. E.g., if I like to wait 3 seconds to start inhaling, I can watch the timer count up to 3.0 seconds. If I know I only have a little material in my coil, and I want to stop firing after 8 seconds, I can keep an eye on the timer so I don't go too long.

So, I'm looking for the current puff time so far, not the duration of an already-completed puff.

Put escribe into manufacturer mode, and change the max puff time under the safety settings... There is one other place you have to change it too, then install a theme, like gauges, that allows you to control how long your mod fires before shutting off power. 

5 hours ago, Pphish said:

Put escribe into manufacturer mode, and change the max puff time under the safety settings... There is one other place you have to change it too, then install a theme, like gauges, that allows you to control how long your mod fires before shutting off power. 

Thanks, I know how to change the maximum puff time. What I'm looking for is a visual display as the seconds tick by.

E.g., suppose I want to preheat for four seconds and then inhale for 6. On some other mods, the screen will show a stopwatch-like display while holding the firing button, so I can see when four seconds have passed.

I do wish we could adjust pre-heat time like on the 200 & 250 boards; but currently we cannot. As for this timer, how would you see it? And why would you need it when you can just adjust the max puff time?

I don't know theme designer well enough but, I feel it is feature that could easily be designed and added to the device. Perhaps not currently, as I said I don't know the capabilities of theme designer well enough to say either way. Though I don't know that pre-heat for 4 seconds would be great for your coil. What kind of material would you be building with? As of now you can almost do what you are asking, just without the stopwatch.

17 hours ago, Pphish said:

As for this timer, how would you see it? And why would you need it when you can just adjust the max puff time?

By looking at the screen. There are already a bunch of things that can (if exposed in the theme) live update on the screen while firing -- watts, temperature, coil resistance, etc., so there must be a lot of people who want to watch those. I tried such things as displaying "last puff time" with "update while firing" set, but nothing works.

As to why I need it, I already gave an example. If that's not a reasonable example for what you're doing with it, imagine it's 1 second or whatever is appropriate. My guess is that we're not using it the same way.

17 hours ago, Pphish said:

I don't know theme designer well enough but, I feel it is feature that could easily be designed and added to the device

Sure, I come from a software and firmware background and know it'd be easy to add. But as far as I can tell, it's not there now. Do you know where one can go to submit a feature request?

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, KDawgie said:

Was there any update to this request? I just submitted a ticket as well.

I got a response saying basically that they didn't see any reason for the feature, since you can't see the screen while firing. I pointed out that for some applications that isn't true, and pointed out all the other information they allow live updates of (temperature, wattage, etc.). They were unswayed, and told me they didn't have any plans to do it.

I did come up with a bit of a workaround -- I programmed the LED to cycle through a series of colors while firing. I set it up to go through five colors in the order they are in the rainbow with one second for each. (My non-firing color is blue, so I chose red, yellow, green, cyan, and purple). Now I can watch the LED and count the seconds. I hope that helps, since I wouldn't hold my breath for them adding the feature.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Drax said:

I got a response saying basically that they didn't see any reason for the feature, since you can't see the screen while firing. I pointed out that for some applications that isn't true, and pointed out all the other information they allow live updates of (temperature, wattage, etc.). They were unswayed, and told me they didn't have any plans to do it.

I did come up with a bit of a workaround -- I programmed the LED to cycle through a series of colors while firing. I set it up to go through five colors in the order they are in the rainbow with one second for each. (My non-firing color is blue, so I chose red, yellow, green, cyan, and purple). Now I can watch the LED and count the seconds. I hope that helps, since I wouldn't hold my breath for them adding the feature.

Ah, I see thanks. Honestly if I would have known it would be difficult (it isn't) to add a timer to how long you hold down the fire button I would have not bought this. I can see the screen fine from how I hit it and I actively look at how long I am hitting my vape every time. Thanks for the little work around, hopefully they can just add the option because otherwise I will just go back to using a shitty smok mod. 

16 minutes ago, KDawgie said:

Ah, I see thanks. Honestly if I would have known it would be difficult (it isn't) to add a timer to how long you hold down the fire button I would have not bought this. I can see the screen fine from how I hit it and I actively look at how long I am hitting my vape every time. Thanks for the little work around, hopefully they can just add the option because otherwise I will just go back to using a shitty smok mod. 

I'm curious as to which 250C and which Smok mod you use that lets you see the full screen while vaping?  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 7:50 PM, KDawgie said:

Every mod I own I can see the screen while vaping.

Not understanding this thought process. How can you possibly see your screen while puffing.  Even if you hold it at some weird angle and strain your eyeballs you can just barely see it.  Unless you've got a really tall atomizer or a curvy drip tip it doesn't work. Least not for me.  Do you hold a mirror up in front of the mod? 

@TorturedZen IMHO the OP is purposely vague in his description, needs and intended purpose, so I'll take a wild a*s guess.

As weed/cannabis is being decriminalized in many places, or CBD for medicinal purposes ........... one could put a non liquid (think weed/shatter) in a tank,  and heat it till it vaporizes, then inhale after their timer ends for a full puff. Specialized vaporizers like that but much more rudimentary have been around for years for that market. OR SO I'VE HEARD ;)

Or perhaps has Strabismus, allowing them to focus that close.

There are other specialized forums for that use case. 

2 hours ago, TorturedZen said:

Not understanding this thought process. How can you possibly see your screen while puffing.  Even if you hold it at some weird angle and strain your eyeballs you can just barely see it.  Unless you've got a really tall atomizer or a curvy drip tip it doesn't work. Least not for me.  Do you hold a mirror up in front of the mod? 

I don't understand why this is some kind of argument. I look at my screen while I vape. Period. Why are you being confrontational about it? Its a simple feature I want for what I thought was such a customizable mod. I am unable to enjoy this mod because of the lack of this feature. 

56 minutes ago, Wayneo said:

@TorturedZen IMHO the OP is purposely vague in his description, needs and intended purpose, so I'll take a wild a*s guess.

As weed/cannabis is being decriminalized in many places, or CBD for medicinal purposes ........... one could put a non liquid (think weed/shatter) in a tank,  and heat it till it vaporizes, then inhale after their timer ends for a full puff. Specialized vaporizers like that but much more rudimentary have been around for years for that market. OR SO I'VE HEARD ;)

Or perhaps has Strabismus, allowing them to focus that close.

There are other specialized forums for that use case. 

No. I like to hit my vape between 6 and 10 seconds and I want to know that I have hit 6 seconds. There is nothing vague here. I want to see how long I am holding the button down for. 

1 hour ago, KDawgie said:

I don't understand why this is some kind of argument. I look at my screen while I vape. Period. Why are you being confrontational about it?

Why are you being so defensive?  This isn't an argument in any form whatsoever. My questions were merely out of curiosity, which is on the opposite end of the confrontational spectrum. 

Yes, this has nothing to do with your original question, but you are claiming to be able to look at your screen while vaping. To me, that means it is at your mouth, you are pressing the firing button and you are inhaling. Am I correct? If so I would simply like to know how that is accomplished so I can try it also!

8 minutes ago, TorturedZen said:

Why are you being so defensive?  This isn't an argument in any form whatsoever. My questions were merely out of curiosity, which is on the opposite end of the confrontational spectrum. 

Yes, this has nothing to do with your original question, but you are claiming to be able to look at your screen while vaping. To me, that means it is at your mouth, you are pressing the firing button and you are inhaling. Am I correct? If so I would simply like to know how that is accomplished so I can try it also!

Just hold the firing button up. You can see the screen fine. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Found this page wanting the same feature, but with a slight caveat. I want to have Gauges be more useful for example when displaying information. 

When editing a control in escribe you have a option to update while firing for gauges and fields etc for example last hit power / peak amperage why can we not use a gauge and put a max val and a min val to then allow when updates to gauges value in term of integer the gauges would display a % based value on the min and max and the input variable being amps / time vaped etc 

smok for example on their os what ever have a timer of 10 secs max there 

is a lable which displays the time for the current hit as well as a gauge which does 0 - 100% based on a time scale of time hit / 10 seconds 

so if you hit it for 5 seconds the gauge shows 50% if you hit it for 2.5 seconds it shows 25% etc i tried to create this in the dna250c and was unsuccessful 

i got a gauge to rig to the amp  so when i fired it updated the gauge but because there was no way to set the maximum value the gauge evaluated on when ever u started it would show a empty gauge and when fireing thus making a value to display it only showed 100% because it was going off a 0 to 1 scale and since no fire = 0 and anything after firing is a value > than 1 it just showed 100% always so i need a way to change the scale on the gauge and i would also like the update while firing to work properly on controls with it enabled  i understand the draw rate of the screen is not high and i demonstrated that to my self with the attached themes "patent" screen its stupid but attached its a example of the time gauge from a modified vapeboy theme i was playing with to learn the software

reza time gauge test.ecigtheme

• 4 months later...

В DNA 250(75)c НЕТ возможности отображения времени затяжки on-line. Плата может показывать только сохраненное время последней затяжки,  on-line отображения  не хватает, так же невозможно отображения секунд на часах, по тому что плата обновляет данные при нажатии кнопки огонь или каждые 4,5 секунды при бездействии.

Печать.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just ran onto this same problem.  I have a coil that can take a while to heat up, so I want to watch the time tick by as its heating up to see when I should start inhaling. Every other mod that I have used has time readout while firing, most of them as the only readout in big font. And on DNA where I'm sure this information is available and I can display literally everything I can't display this? It boggles my mind why it's not allowed and keeps getting rejected when it could be so easy and many people asking for it.  

Well at least there could be some workarounds - like that LED trick, or to watch the temp go up in TC mode, or maybe I could try to display realtime energy delivered as that is power * time.  

Update: Well, I've tried everything, all the times, all the energies, not a single one of them updates while firing even if that's checked. Bummer.

Edited by Seek