"Throttling"

Also @James posted  this a few days ago:

Are you using EScribe Suite SP17? It looks like the most recent EScribe Suite changed the order in which things were being saved, and when it's near 100% usage, this affected what would fit.

The next version will correct this. In the mean time, try reverting back to SP15.1 and uploading the theme:

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP15_1_INT_ServicePack.exe

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP15_1_US_ServicePack.exe

• Like 1

I gave mine a factory reset, uploaded a save of my settings, then uploaded the theme (the version I edited to allow temp change while replay is enabled in the profile) with the lock screen battery icon replaced with the default tiny one (75c:71.6%/60% 250c:71.6/50.8 off/on board) and as expected the problem went away for the first while but came back. I even let it sit for a couple hours just to make sure it wasn't a "works great until it gets warmed up" situation which would point to a component issue, but coming back to it and it picked up where I left off with the bad puffs.

Turned back on replay option (but still have never bothered to lock a puff) in the profile and... no more problems. Yay for random things working!

16 hours ago, SirTimmyTimbit said:

Thanks man, I really appreciate !

So I've been switching between the 3 profiles (gauges, the test version and clean colors) and there doesn't appear to be a noticeable difference between gauges and test gauges. It still throttles for me often, but cool colors is still not having the throttle issue. So it doesn't appear to be an off board memory issue so I suppose that's good!

I have some ideas I'll play around with today to see if I can nail down what is causing it and report back. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iLLNESS said:

So I've been switching between the 3 profiles (gauges, the test version and clean colors) and there doesn't appear to be a noticeable difference between gauges and test gauges. It still throttles for me often, but cool colors is still not having the throttle issue. So it doesn't appear to be an off board memory issue so I suppose that's good!

I have some ideas I'll play around with today to see if I can nail down what is causing it and report back. 

Thanks for trying that. A little disappointed that wasn't the problem, cause it would've been the easiest to fix lol.

Try replacing the profile/status field on the main screen with just a static status field. That's the only other thing I can think of that might cause this. 

I attached a version with a static status field to this post. Keep in mind you have to go to the atomizer profile screen if you want to change your profile.

Gauges-test-2.1.0.ecigtheme

6 minutes ago, SirTimmyTimbit said:

Thanks for trying that. A little disappointed that wasn't the problem, cause it would've been the easiest to fix lol.

Try replacing the profile/status field on the main screen with just a static status field. That's the only other thing I can think of that might cause this. 

I attached a version with a static status field to this post. Keep in mind you have to go to the atomizer profile screen if you want to change your profile.

Thanks, I'll give this one a go too. 

I've done some changes to the stock gauges theme and removed most all the conditions on the main screen and so far that has showed some promise. I don't want to jump the gun and say that's what it is, but so far i'm leaning towards the theme being too 'busy' as a problem. So your change of the profile/status field being static is in line with my findings so far (although that's actually a condition I left alone). 

Assuming this is the solution, I'm guessing it's causing the problem because the conditions are likely in the main loop of the software which may be slowing things down to the point where the coil ohm reading is being affected and the device throttles. 

Edited by iLLNESS
  • Like 1

Just now, Pete1burn said:

Are you guys still seeing if it's the theme causing the issue? 

I flashed back to stock with no theme long ago and this problem keeps happening. 

One additional piece of info is that this seems to happen most often right after removing the tank from the mod to refill it. 

I believe it can be caused by a few things:

• miscalibrated case thermals (case analyzer should help with this, but it can also make it worse if you don't do it properly)
  • bad mod resistance (under mod/electrical) (this can be calculated using the atomizer analyzer with a copper plug or a known resistance)
  • wrong or bad wire profiles
  • themes

I'm sure there is more, but the temp control on the mod is calculated with the first 3 items (and maybe more) and if you have those first 3 items wrong it will cause the temperature control to act up. Why it would throttle instead of just run too hot or cold I don't know. I'm leaning towards it being a bug in the code or just inefficient coding that is made worse depending on what's going on with the theme. 

If you're getting throttling on the stock theme try resetting your mod to default and punch in your settings again. After lots of fiddling around my mod was throttling a lot even after going back to stock theme. A reset fixed me up until I went back to gauges. 

36 minutes ago, SirTimmyTimbit said:

After more testing I can confirm this version still throttles. 

If anyone is interested, they can try my version of gauges 2.2.0 with the coil and power conditions removed. The profile/status condition remains.

Main screen has power in the middle bar (can be modified) and temperature above the status. 

It does not suffer from a throttling issue for me, but I cannot guarantee the same results for others.

If it does throttle for you, try resetting your mod to defaults, adjusting your settings then loading the theme. 

Gauges-TEST_CONDITIONS-2.2.0.ecigtheme

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iLLNESS said:

It does not suffer from a throttling issue for me, but I cannot guarantee the same results for others.

If it does throttle for you, try resetting your mod to defaults, adjusting your settings then loading the theme. 

Gauges-TEST_CONDITIONS-2.2.0.ecigtheme

This one is an improvement (though it leaves some modes a little broken), inline with some of the other themes I've tried. It took a good while before I started getting them with this one, but they did come back just not at the frequency it was occurring - about inline with other themes I've tried. I tried whittling through the differences between yours and the regular one and wasn't successful at pinpointing anything specific - just removing one condition (the middle number on the fire screen has conditions for both 'replay' and 'fire and replay' that do the same, I removed 'fire and replay') was a marginal improvement anything more was back where I started.

12 hours ago, joeblowma said:

This one is an improvement (though it leaves some modes a little broken), inline with some of the other themes I've tried. It took a good while before I started getting them with this one, but they did come back just not at the frequency it was occurring - about inline with other themes I've tried. I tried whittling through the differences between yours and the regular one and wasn't successful at pinpointing anything specific - just removing one condition (the middle number on the fire screen has conditions for both 'replay' and 'fire and replay' that do the same, I removed 'fire and replay') was a marginal improvement anything more was back where I started.

The changes were to the two items on the left below the graphs. That's where a majority of the conditions lie.

And to update, after about 6 hours of vaping the throttling came back. I'm lost for ideas. Likely the first and only DNA device I'll buy. I'm getting rather sick of this considering the DNA board was always touted as being the best for TC. IMO the 250C is the worst. My RX200s TC is far more stable than this crap. Pretty disappointed to say the least. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iLLNESS said:

The changes were to the two items on the left below the graphs. That's where a majority of the conditions lie.

Yup, I saw - plus you changed the temp output location to the big number display which doesn't work so great with wattage modes. I was pulling conditions off those one or two at a time, hoping it was just one thing that made a notable difference but none of them reached the effectiveness of yours. Have you tried the workaround I've been using... enable 'can replay' in the profile, but just don't use replay to save at all? I'm not sure the changes are just to the theme when that is enabled, it could be the entire TC method is switched over to something else in the process.

As these boards alone go for around $95CAD, and all of my $65CAD or less TC capable full mods can get through a TC puff (though to be fair a few of them needed ArcticFox to do so, OEM didn't cut it)... I too am disappointed. R.I.P. "At least Replay worked."

• 1 month later...

Oh hello! Not a new member but I think this might be my first post (or among my first posts)?

Anyways... so I have a Think Vape Finder DNA250C. I started having this problem relatively recently... actually after the most recent update and with a new atty. Wanting to try MTL vaping, I got the Innokin Ares... and holy crap did this issue happen a lot.

Here's two links. One is my post in ECR about the issue. I was blaming jumping resistances at the time, but apparently that's normal. This other one is my review of the Ares and MTL vaping, where I talk about my frustrations a bit.

Seeing people here have issues with the theme, that has me wondering... could it be my theme? I use a slightly-modified version of DJLsb's 75C theme. Basically all I did was add a couple Doctor Who wallpapers. The theme is attached for anyone interested in testing it...

My Finder is currently plugged in, and I'm noticing that the board temp is around 97*F to 99*F. Now, I've been using it all morning, so what I'm gonna do is just let it sit for a while (maybe a couple hours... I do need to run a couple errands, and vaping for me is a hobby since I quit nicotine a while back, so leaving it alone is easy enough), plug it back into Escribe, and see what happens. I might even remove the batteries while it's not being used...

Doctor Who Theme (Based on DJLsB Theme).ecigtheme

If you are encountering the issue mentioned in this thread -- spurious Temperature Protetected messages when using a high-CPU theme like Gauges, with a low-Tcr material [, and possibly, high Preheat settings... any of these three could cause the problem on their own, but it's much less likely] -- when using Temperature Protection but not Replay, and would be willing to try an experimental firmware, give one of these a go:

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/DNA250Color_v1_1_SP38_US_test.sw-service (US Edition)

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/DNA250Color_v1_1_SP38_INT_test.sw-service (International Edition)

This won't help if your problem is related to your 510 connector or electrical grounding.

Anyway, let me know how it works for you, if you run into any new bugs, etc. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, James said:

If you are encountering this issue when using Temperature Protection but not Replay, and would be willing to try an experimental firmware, give one of these a go:

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/DNA250Color_v1_1_SP38_US_test.sw-service (US Edition)

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/DNA250Color_v1_1_SP38_INT_test.sw-service (International Edition)

This won't help if your problem is related to your 510 wiring, electrical grounding, etc.

Anyway, let me know how it works for you, if you run into any new bugs, etc. Thanks!

Any chance you could break down the details about this firmware? Or is there a post for it? 

5 hours ago, James said:

So far so good! I reverted to a version of the theme that was giving me problems more often than not, disabled replay recording in the TC profile (which was my working workaround to avoid the problem as much as possible) and have yet to run into a halted fire/temp protect event in the last couple hours.

At least replay works. They may care slowly, but they do care.

Hi all,

It might also be worth noting that I tried replay during a recent period that I was getting the throttling message often. It was also reporting “check atty” and behaving exactly the same. This is with the latest international version on the latest service pack, not the one posted here.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:50 AM, James said:

If you are encountering this issue when using Temperature Protection but not Replay, and would be willing to try an experimental firmware, give one of these a go:

This won't help if your problem is related to your 510 wiring, electrical grounding, etc.

Okay so I installed the new firmware. I'm reviewing a new kanthal coil for Freemax, so I won't be able to test it for another day or so. However, I'm going to use Innokin's Ares tank to test it since I had most of my temp protection issues while using that tank. I'll post here with my results once I get to it.