"Throttling"

13 hours ago, steamer861 said:

So, I'v seen this happen on one of my 250c's with a Plus on top also. I'm running 2 exact same setups 250c 1500mAH lipo, Evolv 510's, with  Supreme Plus's, on single SS430 Claptons.

Only one of the 2 would give the "Throttling" every once & a while, not very frequent.   It was very random & would only happen for a small amount of time, then go back to normal.

I to have used the Supreme Plus's in TC for ever now & have never had connectivity issues ever!

I was only getting this with a certain "Theme" "Gauges" on only one of 2 exact setups. I have since changed themes & have yet to see the "Throttling" message since?

The frequency of it was so little, that  I didn't bother posting. Heck I had forgot all about it till I seen this thread.  

Are you using the "Gauges" Theme?

I'm not saying/thinking the Theme was the cause? Just posting my experience :)

Hey I made Gauges. 

Honestly there is no reason why a theme should affect why and how often a status message gets displayed. Those messages get triggered by the system and the theme just changes how and where it's shown on the screen. 

Only reason I can think of why you saw it on Gauges and not on any other theme is the stutter that used to be in the theme. There used to be a lot of "update while firing" fields on the theme, and that would cause a brief stutter and visible screen refresh whenever you started/stopped firing.  

That's gone now (1.5.0+). I'd love it if you gave it another chance and report back to see if that still persists. 

If you're already using 1.5.0 and you still see that please let me now as well.

Edited by SirTimmyTimbit

13 minutes ago, SirTimmyTimbit said:

Hey I made Gauges. 

Honestly there is no reason why a theme should affect why and how often a status message gets displayed. Those messages get triggered by the system and the theme just changes how and where it's shown on the screen. 

Only reason I can think of why you saw it on Gauges and not on any other theme is the stutter that used to be in the theme. There used to be a lot of "update while firing" fields on the theme, and that would cause a brief stutter and visible screen refresh whenever you started/stopped firing.  

That's gone now (1.5.0+). I'd love it if you gave it another chance and report back to see if that still persists. 

If you're already using 1.5.0 and you still see that please let me now as well.

So just wanted to let you know that Steamer was right. I went back to the stock theme and haven't had an issue for the entire day. I agree with you that a theme shouldn't affect the operation of the mod, but it seems to be the case. I will check what version I have downloaded and try again if it's not 1.5.0.

Thanks to Steamer for identifying the issue. 

Edited by Pete1burn
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SirTimmyTimbit said:

I'm not saying/thinking the Theme was the cause? Just posting my experience :)

Hi Mr Timbit 

I think I made my self clear, Not blaming your Theme at all! Just pointing out what Had happened to me :)

I appreciate the work you put in to the Theme's you post & Give you a Big Thanks for your Work :)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, steamer861 said:

Hi Mr Timbit 

I think I made my self clear, Not blaming your Theme at all! Just pointing out what Had happened to me :)

I appreciate the work you put in to the Theme's you post & Give you a Big Thanks for your Work :)

I'm not at all convinced that the theme had anything to do with your issues... As far as the issues with the mad modder 250c, there was another person around here who had to send his mod back because of some coating on the 510 connector... I've used and currently use Gauges theme, since before 1.5, and I have literally never seen that message nor have I experienced any issue similar to what your describing. The only time I've experienced the issues you describe were with my DNA 200&250 Triade's, and those issues were always either build or mod related. Something tells me though you have switched themes, this is hardly the end of your issues

I should amend my previous reply to say it "appears" to be the issue. Last night I was vaping and dealing with the message probably 50% of the time. I read the reply, changed to the default theme, and everything was suddenly fine. This was literally 30 seconds apart with the only change being the theme, and I haven't had an issue with it all day. As a test, I could change back to the gauges theme and see what happens. I'm not entirely convinced either, but based on evidence it appears it could be a contributing factor. 

I'm not trying to call anyone out or place blame anywhere. Just posting my experience 

1 hour ago, Pphish said:

I'm not at all convinced that the theme had anything to do with your issues..

We have been saying that all long!

It's not the Mad Modder's issue for sure! Mine mods are home made.

I had one mod perfectly fine with the same setup, running the Gauges Theme.

No one is pointing any fingers any were! The OP's issue is resolved & every things fine now :)

13 hours ago, steamer861 said:

Hi Mr Timbit 

Hey of course it's nothing personal :)

If there's something I'm doing wrong I want to fix it.

If it's a bug in the Theme Editor / Firmware I want to help find it so Evolv can fix it.

If it's something with your specific chip I'd love to help figure it out. 

:)

• Like 2

I to had one  Supreme Plus running fine with the Gauges Theme :)

It was just some strange occurrence, with a combination of the 250c the Plus & the Gauges theme.

BTW This how I run my Plus's.   It's a single fused Titanium wire Clapton  2 By 26 wrapped in 30 gauge :)

HYoK566.jpg.png

hIvbnhM.jpg.png

Interesting issue -- I just had the same thing happen on my Scottua Tank v3.

Also running the Gauges theme.

Tried a new build, etc...  Continued to have the issue.

Finally, removed the 510 pin, cleaned it up, made sure the insulator wasn't burnt (I run hot) and put it back together.  Problem hasn't returned.

I've been getting this issue with 2 different attys on Lost Vape's default theme with my Paranormal 250C, it seems completely random. Hit fire, burns for 1 second, display shows "Temp Protect" then it completely cuts off. Happens only once or twice a day but it is pretty frustrating having no idea what's causing it. Also tried the stock default theme and it was doing the same thing, so it's likely not at all theme related.

Can't see a way to edit my post...

Just want to add some more info. It happened a lot tonight, about 10 times over a few minutes. The only thing I noticed was that my batteries were very low, swapped them out and it cleared up. It still happens on fully charged cells, just much less often.

I have a new atty coming tomorrow so I'll test it some more on that. I also want to try and see if it happens in replay mode as I've been exclusively using ss316 TC mode until now. It would be nice to figure it out as it's really starting to affect my enjoyment of what was a supposedly premium device.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I'm also getting this issue also on the Gauges theme in version 2. I was running a self modified version of an earlier version of the theme (1.5.0 iirc) on a Paranormal DNA250c without this issue. I am now using the board in a homebrew/Stealthvape kit and a 4s Lipo before the V2 update, on the exact same mod, I had no issues. After a few days, I saw that there was a Gauges V2 out and decided to upgrade. Since then I have been getting the "throttling" message every 10 or so puffs.

It is definitely not a connectivity issue, since I used a copper 510 threaded plug to set up the mod resistance after the transplant, and got a resistance lower than the resistance I got in the Paranormal (I am using the max gauge wire for the output in the DNA250c datasheet).

After reading the posts from everyone else, and having my own experience with the same atty on 5 different DNA mods. I can say with 99.9% certainty, that there is an issue with the theme or that the board doesn't like the way the theme is interfacing with that feature.

BTW the atomizer I'm using is the DJV Dejavu

If I recall correctly......

Look in Theme Designer under the Language Tab you will see that "Throttling" is the Temperature Protect Message.... just means you have reached your set temperature and overshot it so the device is regulating you back to the set temperature.  In most all other themes the word " Temp Protect" is used.  In Device Monitor you can see when your device reaches set temperature and you can see the overshoot and the device regulating back to set temperature...

Throttling is a term also used when the atty starts to  becomes dry or not wicking quickly enough the device throttles back on power to prevent wick burning..... when it does this no error message is given..... so the message you are getting is just as stated above...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, retird said:

...when your device reaches set temperature and you can see the overshoot and the device regulating back to set temperature... 

Yes, that would be the desired and expected behavior. If that was happening, this would barely be an issue.

What is actually happening when this message displays, is the power is completely cut until the fire button is released. There is no throttling as expected. It is not theme related, it does the same thing on the default theme. It only happens in TC, never in replay mode.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, Pete1burn said:

This screenshot?     It looks like you overshot temp setting quickly....  at 95 watts......and you overshot wattage also..... what about turning down the wattage.... what happens then?  Is your preheat set way up also?  I ponder why the excessive overshooting?

Capture.JPG