So Frustrated w/ Replay!

iambyrdman

4 minutes ago, Feecting said:

Change the Coil material from Watt to 316L (in escribe) or whatever you are using.

Who are you talking to?  Not me, right?  Mines should be as is.  As it was sent to me and how they are programed at the factory.  Right?  Confusing Chat...

15 minutes ago, iambyrdman said:

Who are you talking to?  Not me, right?  Mines should be as is.  As it was sent to me and how they are programed at the factory.  Right?  Confusing Chat...

Sorry for the confusion. I Saw the pic of escribe and the wire was Watt, Mine (Think vape 250c) had the same warning (check atti) on the replay profile. When i change the coil material to 316L , replay worked.

OK...... are we getting Replay yet????   Just for information:

Replay is a new feature introduced on the DNA 250C. Replay is intended to capture the flavor and satisfaction of the “perfect puff” and provide the same level of performance and consistency on all subsequent puffs. The use of Nickel, Stainless, Titanium, or other material that increases in resistance when heated is required. In addition, Replay will also prevent dry hits when used with wattage control. To use Replay set the device to the desired power level and operate it normally. Once a satisfying puff is achieved, activate the feature to save and replay the saved puff each time the device is fired. Puff length is not a factor and the user will not be limited to the length of the previous puff. Disable Replay to resume normal operation or find a new puff to save. If Replay cannot be enabled if the coil is not compatible.

5 minutes ago, retird said:

OK...... are we getting Replay yet????

Maybe.  I think so after 1 or 2 pulls is all but we'll see.  It has crapped out on me before.

When I went to the factory they handed me a test unit for me to put my RDA on.  I vaped it until it was dry getting the same hit every time so I know what I should be getting.

Now I need to get it to work on my RTA because all my RDAs have squonk pins.  The RTA's get check attie warning, even in wattage.  They were working earlier...

@iambyrdman glad you got Replay back......  

@drmaz2000..... If you still don't get Replay to play yet you might go in Escribe to the Replay Profile and change the Cold ohms to zero.... upload to device..... you should get a New Coil message when you try to fire.... select YES..... vape the device and see it you get the Save Puff option.... if so select save puff  and Playing should show replay is working....

1 hour ago, retird said:

@iambyrdman..... is that Smok atty using factory coils?   If so, and you don't get it to play,  Replay may not play with that atty, and or, that coil...  Nick is testing alot of atty's and coils and has started a list of dubious atty's and coils .... here is the link....

https://forum.evolvapor.com/forum/42-replay-and-atomizers/

I saw it and I let him know I was told the coils in the TFV12 Prince were 304.  But I haven't got confirmation from him.  I'm obviously not the one to do the testing!

9 hours ago, iambyrdman said:

I saw it and I let him know I was told the coils in the TFV12 Prince were 304.  But I haven't got confirmation from him.  I'm obviously not the one to do the testing!

OK, the Prince is on the list of non-compatible attys (material unknown) that don't play well with Replay.  Over the years there have been many premade coils that also did not work in TC mode also.....

My thoughts, in a perfect world, is that the atty/coil manufacturers should do the testing, or at least tell you what material the coil is, and then you will know before you purchase a coil that it will or will not work in Replay.... new atty/coils come out frequently and I can't even guess how many different ones there are.  Heck, I've got several attys that I have used over the years that don't Replay and didn't work with TC mode either....

The good thing is that we got your issue sorted out.... Enjoy the vape ..... !!!!!!!!

EDIT:  If you haven't already you might try adding this Steam Engine SS304  csv file to your Materials in EScribe and set up a Profile with it and see if that will Replay.  Just a thought....

SteamEngine-DNA200.csv

2 hours ago, retird said:

OK, the Prince is on the list of non-compatible attys (material unknown) that don't play well with Replay.  Over the years their have been many premade coils that also did not work in TC mode also.....

My thoughts, in a perfect world, is that the atty/coil manufacturers should do the testing, or at least tell you what material the coil is, and then you will know before you purchase a coil that it will or will not work in Replay.... new atty/coils come out frequently and I can't even guess how many different ones there are.  Heck, I've got several attys that I have used over the years that don't Replay and didn't work with TC mode either....

The good thing is that we got your issue sorted out.... Enjoy the vape ..... !!!!!!!!

EDIT:  If you haven't already you might try adding this Steam Engine SS304  csv file to your Materials in EScribe and set up a Profile with it and see if that will Replay.  Just a thought....

SteamEngine-DNA200.csv

I have been using the Prince in TC for months.  It should be compatible if TC capabilities is all it takes.  I did get my csv from Steam Engine.  I've been out of the house before ;) so I have a pretty good understanding of stuff n things, I also come here first... I'll have to try the Prince now but it should work.  My sales rep at SMOK is who told me it's SS.  I DID tell her she needs to put it on the package instead of just 'SS' like it has now.

Here's the thing.  I found the fix on my own...  Why wouldn't it be more obvious that MY FIX WAS A F'N CHECK MARK on the safety tab....  All the way at the bottom, the one word option (replay-allow on dubious cols) that gets lost after looking at a list of 3 or 4 word options and all the other options are about minimum and maximum power or watts.   Seems kind of buried and out of place maybe.  But you saw the coil I'm using and you seemed impressed even though all it is is 2 pieces of clapton twisted together.  Check out my Instagram and you'll see at least a little more complicated.

https://www.instagram.com/winstonbyrd/

But anyway.  Replay isn't perfect for me now but it's way better or closer.  I even got the TFV12 RBA w/ SS to give me the option to replay but I get 'temperature protected' on the first replay.  I get the feeling that the resistance is drifting.  It's a little more of a pain to work on than other RTAs but later I'll take it apart and see if maybe I have a screw that need to be tightened.  The TFV12 RBA has always been finicky.  I've ordered an iJoy combo squonk but looking for better if anyone has suggestions.  Convenience  of plenty of juice without a squonk bottle and all the flavor of the best RBA.  That's what I want on the Paranormal 250C.

As a further test I put on an approved Uwell Crown and it works as expected.

Thanks again for all your help.  I appreciate your contribution to the community !

Thanks for the comments.......  I am always wowed by all the coils folks build as I like things simple (plug and play) and use premade coils only.   

I appreciate all the other volunteers and Moderators that help folks in this forum  as a way to give something back to the vaping community. From your posts and etc.  your knowledge and etc.  I hope you to can contribute in the future.   Our working on your issue and your posts here can, and will, be of benefit to others with a similar issue.... Thanks for your efforts....   :thumb::thumb:

• Thanks 1

I hope so.  I would think replay would be best for builders.  Tanks with prebuilt coils are fairly consistent on their own.  No need for replay.  I think replay is waste on prebuilt coils.  If it doesn't give a consistent vape, something's wrong.

IMHO

I'm all for Evolv.  I'd rather they pay a lot more tax than me;-)  I own 3 businesses in Ohio, I make that joke on a regular!  I'm all for showing no profit....  I'm so stoked they're 20 minutes up the road. 

Not so stoked I've waited at least over a week for an RMA.  Swamped right now, I seent it!  No biggie, I'm covered with 2 Paranormal 250C, 1 Therion 75C and the one I build with flaws.

Every single time Replay has crapped out on me was do to a an instability in the base resistance, which leads to an instability in rising resistance when the coil is heating up (when you press the fire button). If "save puff" does not display after a puff, 9 times of out of 10 it's a fluctuating or an artificially high base resistance.  You need to check, in atomizer analyzer, with a copper mod resistance plug and see exactly your static ohms are.  Also, if  you get "check atomizer" while in Replay, it's the same as i mentioned above. Resistance is HUGE part of Replay. A solid base res / electrical connection is crucial for Replay to work. 

Atomizer Analyzer is such a helpful tool.  A copper mod resistance plug for the 510 is almost a must if you want the best, most trouble free experience.  A couple thousandths of an ohm change (510 GND nut not tight, a cold 510 solder joint, certain anodizing coatings) translates into a crappy experience in TC and also for Replay.

I understand the average person should not have to deal with making sure a manufacturer's mod has been assembled correctly. It makes Evolv's boards look incapable of delivering what was promised in a feature. On the same token, the user needs to make sure his or her settings, heating wire, EScribe settings and topper are correct for Replay/TC to function properly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChunkyButt200 said:

Every single time Replay has crapped out on me was do to a an instability in the base resistance

I have slowly learned that you are exactly right.  I had been vaping the RBA we've talking about all day today.  When I got home I put in in front of a fan for an hour or more.  I took it and held it for a bit and started testing the resistance and the fluctuation we're pretty wide.  +/- 0.35!!!

I built this:  and the fluctuation is less than 0.15. and replay is working correctly.  So Evolv might want to make clear how much it can fluctuate.  And can we change it in EScribe on the Mod/Safty tab, "Ohm Lock Range"  Mine is set at 0.25 from the factory.  So if I changed it to 0.36 would replay have worked on that first build that wasn't working?  I wonder.  Don't have the time to dig those out of the trash and rebuild.  Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in like has been happening.

Good to figure stuff out.  Replay needs a solid Ohms reading, no variation.  Got it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KMac said:

I've found 2 of my SMOK RBA's have the insulator melted and cracked that was causing me issues with replay. SMOK has a new deck out for the TFV8 that is a clamp style and so far is working well 

smok.jpg

Looks SO much better!

Where did you find the new RBA for the TFV8?  ...linkie...  Do you know if the TFV12 is to follow?  Hope so!

8 hours ago, KMac said:

@iambyrdman not sure on the V12 but here is the link for the V8 https://store.smoktech.com/product/details/v8-rba-16-core

I'm not sure that's it because it has an Ohm rating.  That's the regular V8 coil. 

Id ask my SMOK sales rep but I cut them off because of the bad information on the Prince coils.  So sad I can't get an honest answer after busting her for telling me they are 304 when they seem not to be.  What's so hard about telling me what they're made out of?  Sad...

Here's a weird one to add to the discussion... I've been trying to vape up all the juice I have in tanks so I can more on to a new (wonderful) mix and picked up a TFV8 with a prebuilt Q4 coil.  I get the replay option after ever vape and it seems to work.  I would think those were Kanthal so what gives?  Here's Device Monitor of the TFV8 and you can see where it pulls back on power even though there's not temperature readout.  Strange...

5ae1d9b223841_Screenshot2018-04-2609_51_15.thumb.jpg.ed4cff9033be03f71de5b15db5e2ed8b.jpg

Some Kanthal pre-made coils work in Replay.... I think it is because of the design and resistance rise as a result of the way the coil attaches to the housing.. Here is a screenshot of a Kanthal premade coil showing the cold ohms and live ohms rise......and the power decreases with repeat vape because the coil is already heated....

Untitled.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, retird said:

Some Kanthal pre-made coils work in Replay.... I think it is because of the design and resistance rise as a result of the way the coil attaches to the housing.. Here is a screenshot of a Kanthal premade coil showing the cold ohms and live ohms rise......and the power decreases with repeat vape because the coil is already heated....

So obviously Ohms stability is of utmost importance. I made this to see if I could get replay to work with a simple Clapton build but I can't.  Too much Ohms fluctuation!

I haven't had time to test changing the 'Ohm Lock Range' on the Mod/Safety tab in EScribe. 

Replay really appears to be more or less TC where they quit trying to calculate a temperature from the ohm readings and simply directly control to a series of ohms you said you liked.  That makes wire settings, calibrations, etc., much, much less important.  ("Warmth" settings not withstanding).

On any TC build and, by association, any build where you're monitoring and controlling to match a desired curve of ohm readings a fluctuation of any real magnitude not due to changes in coil temperature will keep it from working well.  For TC I like to see stuff stable to +/-0.01 at worst and generally shoot for less than +/-0.003.  Spring loaded 510 screw connectors in the atty, for instance, often cause problems.  If your coil and/or atty is not stable to the 0.01 level while sitting in a stable temp environment you're not going to find it works well.  If you're seeing the type fluctuations you describe it's clearly not going to work at all.

The final piece is whether the ohms change consistently as the temperature of the coil changes.  There are situations where something like "316L" pre-made coils actually have leads of a different material and that may make it function inconistantly.

BTW, I have replay set to watts rather than a specific wire type and it works just fine on my staggered fused SS316 coils and simple or twisted Ti coils.

(Note, if you sit there and run atomizer analyzer it would be expected that the ohm readings would slowly go up as the power from testing the ohm reading slowly heats the coil.  The 250C and 75C aren't as bad as prior generations but still may see some increase.  When I say stable I'm talking about a quick "measure", wait a minute or two and then do another quick "measure".)

Edited by LeeWB3