Weak battery on new boxer 20700 mod dna75c

Moncrieffey

Hi guys, I just got the new boxer squonk mod with the dna75c board, it takes one 20700 battery's and after around 50% of using the battery it comes up weak battery, I'm using ijoys 20700s (5 pronged) bought from fogstar in the UK so they are genuine batteries, when the weak battery sign comes up I've seen the mods only firing at around 40 watts, I only vape at 50 watts but you can certainly tell the difference, how can I fix this? Do I need to update it? (highly unlikely as I've only had it 2 days and they are very new to the market, there's only a handful of people in the UK with one) I'm using the dead rabbit RDA at 0.22 ohms. Will an update fix this? Please help. 

In Escribe,(Mod > Battery) check the value of the cell soft cutoff...2.75v is good for the 20700 cells...the following .csv file was generated with the 'Battery Analyzer' & will help the battery indicator to be a bit more accurate as well...

IJoy_20700_3000mah.csv

Edit: Even most of the new mods on the market will need a firmware update...Escribe should let you know if one is available....

Edited by giz_60

5 minutes ago, giz_60 said:

In Escribe,(Mod > Battery) check the value of the cell soft cutoff...2.75v is good for the 20700 cells...the following .csv file was generated with the 'Battery Analyzer' & will help the battery indicator to be a bit more accurate as well...

IJoy_20700_3000mah.csv

Edit: Even most of the new mods on the market will need a firmware update...Escribe should let you know if one is available....

Sorry I'm new to the forum and never had to update a mod before, most of them work out of the box. In short should an update fix it? Thanks

12 minutes ago, Nick said:

Probably high voltage drop under load. I'd try bending the contacts in to make the battery fit a little tighter, be careful not to break anything.

Even at that, would it not say weak battery on the first hit if it was the contacts? I thought it would more than likely be the software after the weak  battery sign comes up at 50%

21 minutes ago, retird said:

Kinda sounds like battery sag to me....  What does it show, while firing, in Device Monitor when the battery level is at 50%, 75%, 100% using the same atty...?

It's fine until about 60-50% then it says weak battery and drops approximately 10watts, really annoying considering the price I paid. And also having paid for 4 ijoy 20700s they're not cheap either. 

9 minutes ago, retird said:

Does it not show battery sag in Device Monitor while firing the device?

What settings is that in as I can't connect it to a laptop until I get  a loan of one in the next couple of days, what am I looking for? Sorry still new to all this as I've never had to fanny about with device settings to diagnose a problem. 

To add to this, I also have the rebel vape squonk dna75c but that uses one 18650 battery  and I've never had a problem with that, no weak battery warnings etc. 

Pretty useless having a mod that uses a  20700 battery if it can't keep up with an 18650. 

Only reason I thought about battery sag was a recent review from Mooch ( very schooled in batteries and testing them). He did a review on the 4 leg and 5 leg version of the battery you have.  Don't know if your battery is a 4 leg or 5 leg version but here is Mooch's take on the battery and is dated Oct. 18 on his facebook page:

Mooch.pdf

Mooch
October 18 at 3:53am ·
Bench Test Results: iJoy 40A 3000mAh 20700 (4-“leg” version)...worse than 5-leg version, only 20A 2800mAh
Bottom Line: iJoy now has two versions of their “40A 3000mAh” 20700 battery, both in the same wrap. The original one has five “legs” coming down from the top contact and was rated at 30A 3000mAh by me.
This newer version of the “40A 3000mAh” battery has four “legs” coming down from the top contact. Unfortunately it is a hugely overrated, poor performing battery.
The voltage sag for this 4-leg cell version is a lot greater which results in about 30% less vaping time at moderate power levels (versus the 5-leg cell).
While both versions of this cell are on the market now, and using the same wrap, iJoy has stated that they will be using a different wrap soon for the 4-leg version. iJoy has also stated that the 4-leg version will not be sold separately in the future and will only be included in their kits. The 5-leg version will continue to be sold separately.
iJoy has also told me that they are working to lower the internal resistance of this cell. This will bring its performance closer to that of the 5-leg version. Once they release the updated 4-leg cell, with the new wraps, I will retest them.
The white top ring insulator of this cell is card stock, i.e., paper, like the 5-leg version. It is quite thin though. Pay extra attention to the top of these cells if your charger is a tight fit or your mod damages cell wraps.
I am rating this version of this iJoy cell at 20A and 2800mAh. Its maximum vaping amps (MVA) limit is 25A, limited by voltage sag.
The diameter of the 4-leg version ranged from 20.42mm - 20.49mm. This includes the distinct bumps at the seams of the wrap. Four cells were measured.
The diameter of the 5-leg version ranged from 20.42mm to 20.48mm with five cells being measured. The 4-leg and 5-leg versions are essentially the same size.
A note…the capacity rating of the 5-leg version will also be lowered by me (probably from 3000mAh to 2800mAh) as additional experience with these cells, and other 2x700’s with their different chemistry, has made me realize this change is needed. This will affect the Efest, EBAT, and Ampking 20700’s too as they also use the 5-leg version of this cell. Their performance has not changed, just the rating I am giving them. More info in another post.
Several 4-leg cells were tested. I want to thank those who arranged to get samples of them to me, especially Evolution Vaping in the U.K. They expressed shipped cells to me here in New York City not once but twice after I realized I needed more cells to test. Thank you all!
Cell photos: https://imgur.com/a/735dC
Ratings Graphic: https://imgur.com/a/hXsxd
Test results, discharge graph, photos: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/…/bench-test-results-ijoy…“leg”-version-only-20a-28.833915/#post-20144551
All my test results to date: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/…/list-of-battery-tests.…/

Resistance (including contact resistance) is the instantaneous drop you see when you first fire. The battery will sag as you fire, that's not resistance. @Moncrieffey, is your coil temperature-protected? If so, update your 75C to SP27. You may just be seeing Weak Battery from preheat pushing 75W (or 100W if you are using International Edition firmware and enabled it) to get you up to temperature quickly. SP27 (correctly) does not raise the message if the power it is limited to is still above the power you've chosen. Similarly, if you are using Boost on a non-temperature protected coil.

14 hours ago, James said:

Resistance (including contact resistance) is the instantaneous drop you see when you first fire. The battery will sag as you fire, that's not resistance. @Moncrieffey, is your coil temperature-protected? If so, update your 75C to SP27. You may just be seeing Weak Battery from preheat pushing 75W (or 100W if you are using International Edition firmware and enabled it) to get you up to temperature quickly. SP27 (correctly) does not raise the message if the power it is limited to is still above the power you've chosen. Similarly, if you are using Boost on a non-temperature protected coil.

I don't know if my coil temperature-protected?? Remember all I normally do is unbox and vape, that's all I really should be doing when vaping a  £275 box mod. It's definitely not trying to push 75watts on a pre-heat. I wouldn't mind if the message came up and it was still giving me 50 watts, but it's not, it's giving me 40 watts instead. There's that many updates I don't know what one to install.

I have another question, when doing updates will I be downloading the American version or the international version? Remembering I got this boxer mod from the States. 

3 hours ago, Moncrieffey said:

I have another question, when doing updates will I be downloading the American version or the international version? Remembering I got this boxer mod from the States. 

Go here:  scroll down to EScribe Suite and choose the one you need....either US Version or International version will install but International Version not bound by US FDA REGULATIONS....  

https://www.evolvapor.com/products/dna75color

OK now that you have Device Monitor :

What does it show, while firing, in Device Monitor?

Please post a screenshot of Device Monitor showing Pack, Level, Power, Power Set, Temp, and Temp Set (while firing) We need to look at this data to try to help you....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts....

Output Power Chart for the DNA75C can be found in this datasheet:

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna75color.pdf

Make sure the coil you build is within an area of the chart... looks like your coil (0.068 ohms) would require 32 amps calculated with Ohm's Law and your cold and live ohms is outside the range of the chart  The max operating range output current of the 75C is shown as 30 amps.